Review - TOP-201 Super Mini 720P HD IP-Cam (The Cheapest IP Cam So Far !!)

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a problem with my device. I've used it for months, it works well, now it sucks.

When its plugged in the power source, the green led on the ethernet connector lights up. But when I plug in the ethernet cable, the green led turns off, only the orange blinks.
The router gives the device an IP address, I can ping it and connect it via telnet, but the CMS can't find it, I can't connect with it.

Do you have any idea, what's wrong and how can I resolve it?

Thanks

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a problem with my device. I've used it for months, it works well, now it sucks.
When its plugged in the power source, the green led on the ethernet connector lights up. But when I plug in the ethernet cable, the green led turns off, only the orange blinks.
The router gives the device an IP address, I can ping it and connect it via telnet, but the CMS can't find it, I can't connect with it.
Did you try with an another power supply ?

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No, because I only have one proper power supply, what I use from the beginning. I don't want to buy an another one until it's become obviously that's the faulty part.
12V power supply cost nothing (and usefull for other usage) so why not try ?

Alexey

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!

Do you have any idea, what's wrong and how can I resolve it?

Thanks
Hard to say what has happened without doing some diagnostics, but from your description of the issue it seems that firmware or configuration of your camera has been damaged. Apparently, linux kernel and TCP/IP stack is started, but 'Sofia' program (or, whatever is driving the functionality of your camera) did not -- that's why CMS cannot see it. Did you actually log on with telnet into your camera? If your camera is similar to what is discussed in this thread, you may try to use username 'root' and password 'xmhdipc'. If this works and you are getting '#' prompt in telnet - then my guess is correct. You can try removing all user config files from /mnt/mtd file system (using command rm -rf /mnt/mtd/*) followed by reboot command and see if your camera will be found by CMS (it will get original IP address of 192.168.1.10 or whatever is printed on your camera's sticker, not the address from your router).
If resetting will not help, then configuration in /mnt/custom file system could be broken. You can try running '/usr/bin/Sofia' from command line. It will give a lot of output, you can try to guess what is missing -- most probably some config file.
In this case camera firmware should be re-flashed (sometimes they call is 'de-bricking your camera'). This is a bit tricky, as there is no straightforward upgrade procedure from telnet shell prompt (mounting an NFS share with firmware file to /tmp/mnt and issuing '/usr/bin/Sofia --upgrade /tmp/mnt/[your-firmware-file-name].bin is worth trying). The whole re-flashing process is described quite well in various posts. You will need to open the camera, find and connect serial port of your camera to COM port of your PC and get to U-boot prompt, from where you can download firmware image using TFTP and write it to flash.

Reaction score
Hard to say what has happened without doing some diagnostics, but from your description of the issue it seems that firmware or configuration of your camera has been damaged. Apparently, linux kernel and TCP/IP stack is started, but 'Sofia' program (or, whatever is driving the functionality of your camera) did not -- that's why CMS cannot see it. Did you actually log on with telnet into your camera? If your camera is similar to what is discussed in this thread, you may try to use username 'root' and password 'xmhdipc'. If this works and you are getting '#' prompt in telnet - then my guess is correct. You can try removing all user config files from /mnt/mtd file system (using command rm -rf /mnt/mtd/*) followed by reboot command and see if your camera will be found by CMS (it will get original IP address of 192.168.1.10 or whatever is printed on your camera's sticker, not the address from your router).
If resetting will not help, then configuration in /mnt/custom file system could be broken. You can try running '/usr/bin/Sofia' from command line. It will give a lot of output, you can try to guess what is missing -- most probably some config file.
In this case camera firmware should be re-flashed (sometimes they call is 'de-bricking your camera'). This is a bit tricky, as there is no straightforward upgrade procedure from telnet shell prompt (mounting an NFS share with firmware file to /tmp/mnt and issuing '/usr/bin/Sofia --upgrade /tmp/mnt/[your-firmware-file-name].bin is worth trying). The whole re-flashing process is described quite well in various posts. You will need to open the camera, find and connect serial port of your camera to COM port of your PC and get to U-boot prompt, from where you can download firmware image using TFTP and write it to flash.
Yes, I used that username/password you write also, and I can log in into the device. When I get home I try the "resetting" procedure you wrote, hope it helps and I shouldn't open the case and try a tricky firmware re-flashing. Thanks for the advice!

Reaction score
I've tried the first step, deleted the user config files, then after restart the IP address is set to the default, so it works. But unfortunately the mistake stands, the device is invisible for CMS. After that I tried to run Sofia, I see only one problem, it is with watchdog - it looks like thats the damaged part of the system.
After that I tried to make it possible to upgrade the firmware but I can't mount any local network share on the device - can you help me with it? I have a PC with win10 and a Ubuntu server too - any of these will be good.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't mount any local network share on the device
With apologies for the intervention and maybe also for saying something you know already:
For an NFS share, this usually works on embedded Linux - but transient only, won't survice a reboot (replace IP address and sharename and mount point):
mount -t nfs -o nolock 192.168.1.100:/cctv1 /tmp

Alexey

n3wb
Reaction score
I've tried the first step, deleted the user config files, then after restart the IP address is set to the default, so it works. But unfortunately the mistake stands, the device is invisible for CMS. After that I tried to run Sofia, I see only one problem, it is with watchdog - it looks like thats the damaged part of the system.
After that I tried to make it possible to upgrade the firmware but I can't mount any local network share on the device - can you help me with it? I have a PC with win10 and a Ubuntu server too - any of these will be good.
As alastairstevenson pointed out, you can mount (temporarily) NFS share to /tmp/nfs (I suggest NOT to mount on /tmp, as there may be open files in it).
First, create a directory on your Ubuntu machine where you will store firmware file, copy file and export it over NFS, say,
Code:
sudo bash
mkdir /share
cp [your_firmware_file].bin /share
chmod a+r /share /share/*
echo -e "\n/share            *(rw,insecure,all_squash)" >>/etc/exports
exportfs -av
then, on your camera in telnet session:

Code:
mkdir /tmp/mnt
mount -o nolock [ip-address-of-ubuntu-server]:/share /tmp/mnt
You do not need to type square brackets [ and ], of course.

At this point you should have NFS share with firmware file mounted.

Then, try flashing process. In telnet session to camera, type:
Code:
/usr/bion/Sofia --upgrade /tmp/mnt/[your_firmware_file].bin

raceboy

n3wb
Reaction score
..hello.
is it possible to get older firmware for HI3516D_83H20 (V4.02.R12.00014911) camera? i have General_HZXM_IPC_HI3516D_83H20_RT3070_V4.02.R12.Nat.OnvifS.20170107_ALL.bin, but onvif crashes. thanx

Dmitry011

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi! I need to change the Mac address to the camera using Telnet. What command can I do that ?

Tehnicni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Which means you should list out much more details about your camera. What full firmware+version string was displayed before you flashed? What date? What file did you flash. Where did you get it? What firmware+version string is displayed now?

Also, it is possible you simply accidentally disabled the IR in the software settings. I see above you have been playing with the dynamic range, did you also play with day/night mode and/or IR Swap?
Pink picture appear suddenly in special situation of light and is not stable, they switched to normal picture, so camera have no HW error. I have no IR detector. I think, that @bcd have same problem

My camera is Model: JSK-720 with no Top-308 or Top - 201 mark. I bought it in Banggood. Picture of PCB is in these post
Factory FW was V4.02.R12.00006510.10010.142300.ONVIF 2.4
New foulty FW is from Index of /download/Files/IPC/Firmware/IPC720P
General_HZXM_IPC_HI3518E_50H10L_S38_V4.02.R12.Nat.OnvifS.20160615_ALL.bin
OnVIF Device Manager and IE&CMS show the same FW it was before FW upgradeing.

Tehnicni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Today I want to repeat the situation with pink picture and i can't get it, then turn on incandescent light bulb, which gives you plenty of light and get pink image, strange!

After changing FW with bcd ones, image is without this effect.

Thanks bcd

djsomi

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an IR version of this cam, do you know any way how to disable IR by software?

Many Thanks
Zoltan

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an IR version of this cam, do you know any way how to disable IR by software?

Many Thanks
Zoltan
What do you mean "IR" version ? with or without IR filter or with IRCut mecanism ?

djsomi

n3wb
Reaction score
What do you mean "IR" version ? with or without IR filter or with IRCut mecanism ?
With 2 big infrared leds, which has IRcut mechanism, and everything what is needed for night view.
I wanted to disable night vision temporary, but I cannot find any setting regarding this in the device config.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
With 2 big infrared leds, which has IRcut mechanism, and everything what is needed for night view.
I wanted to disable night vision temporary, but I cannot find any setting regarding this in the device config.
Do you have a link to this camera's vendor so I can see it I am very curious to know how they can put big IR leds inside such small box ?