Stucco finished homes

dudmleh522

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the best way to drill a hole on stucco finished homes? Planning to mount a camera above garage door there is a plywood behind stucco. I took pictures before house was finished so i have basic idea what is behind the walls. Here are the pics

5AA4FBD4-610B-44B3-B832-4E99010B71AF.jpeg5D39F358-5384-410D-A4CB-C894F47745F7.jpeg

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd suggest mounting two cameras, one on each side, angled toward each other, of the door no higher than the top of the door for best coverage.

To drill a hole in stucco, technically it's probably a form of mortar, a carbide masonry bit would work. Just go slowly and stop when you hit the plywood and switch to a high speed or spade bit. That said, any high speed bit should work well, also. Stucco is, generally, rather "soft" when compared to concrete. The problem is that it is abrasive when compared to wood or metals. While a high speed bit will work, it'll get pretty dull pretty quickly. A spade bit will also work but may result in more chipping that a carbide masonry or high speed and will also get dull very quickly.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Seeing that its a new home, definitely follow @sebastiantombs advice. Depending on the age of the home, much older home's typically have a much thicker layer of stucco (at least based on what I've come across) that could withstand the excess vibration produced by a drill and carbide masonry bit; newer homes, not so much.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
One additional note - do NOT drill from the inside out - ONLY drill from the outside in when drilling stucco. If you drill from the inside out you run a HIGH risk of blowing a chunk out where the drill exits and potentially a chunk larger than the camera would cover.

Also be careful with the recommendation of mounting 2 cameras on the sides pointing in. Your outside pic is terrible and the inside pic doesn't look show any electrical rough in yet. The concern with throwing cameras to the edge is outside garage lights. The majority of homes have side lights on the side of the garage door. To many times people try to mount them around those lights. That causes IR issues at night and terrible glare as well depending on where the camera is mounted in relation to those lights, especially if you intend to have the lights always on "dusk to dawn". If that is the case, I would proceed forward with your intended setup.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Mount the cameras above any lights to minimize the glare effect. Usually, they're coach style lights with a solid top so very little light goes up toward the camera.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
@zero-degrees is absolutely correct. Same principle applies to people drilling inside-out on vinyl and asbestos siding. Many years ago I remember seeing a cable guy using a dull bit, at the end part of the siding piece popped out and gouges were left on the siding piece itself. Its worse on asbestos siding, lol. I get it...some are afraid of leaning against a ladder, but use the necessary precaution, believe in yourself, and you can do it :D

dudmleh522

n3wb
Reaction score
Yea the size i need to drill is 15/16 so my wire dongle can go through. I know its big hole... camera is Amcrest IP4-1028W dome camera.

Reaction score
100% agree on drilling from the outside in. The stucco will be about 1/2" thick with some light gauge wire mesh behind it. A masonry bit to get through the stucco is cleaner, then a standard carbide or paddle bit through the plywood. You will want to take measurements from the outside anyway to get the aesthetics right. Once you have the locations you want on the outside wall, check the interior dimensions to make sure you aren't lined up on a stud or a box beam.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are dead set on that camera, you could get a dome wall mount, then paint the wall mount and camera all the same color as your stucco. This will also allow you to drill a much smaller hole and contain your connections inside the top of the mount.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dudmleh522

n3wb
Reaction score
If you are dead set on that camera, you could get a dome wall mount, then paint the wall mount and camera all the same color as your stucco. This will also allow you to drill a much smaller hole and contain your connections inside the top of the mount.
yea i got this too not too sure if i like it i kind want flush fit But if i do go with that route i can hide the thick wire dongle and only drill small hole through the stucco E08A2E76-32F2-4AFB-8305-8AD138214042.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dudmleh522

n3wb
Reaction score
here is better picture
I was going to either mount it on spot #1 or #2 and i never turn on my garage lights. And no wires or insulations behind those walls

btw this camera is inside the house Looking at the window with IR turned off.
6371E7FE-E15A-41C9-8F36-4BFE346A431C.jpeg

Last edited:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are mounting a single camera I would go with spot 2. This will assure even coverage across the driveway. By putting a camera to one side or the other you reduce the coverage distance and identification ability of that camera from the further distance of the driveway. Spot 2 will give you the most even coverage across the entire driveway and up each side of the drive (to side of house and to front door). Now, if your goal is to more protect the side of the house because you clearly have a camera in front on the front door side, I would consider location 1.

Honestly, it's really about what your end coverage and desired goals are. When people post a single pic they get 10 different opinions (while some are wrong) most are not, because the answers they are getting are based on that persons assessment and assumption of what the posters desired outcome is - which, again, if not outlined isn't wrong.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
With a single camera anywhere you mount it your are blind to one side, or the other, of any car or cars parked in the driveway. Sure, the video will show someone doing something, just not who did it which is the critical part of the equation.

dudmleh522

n3wb
Reaction score
If you are mounting a single camera I would go with spot 2. This will assure even coverage across the driveway. By putting a camera to one side or the other you reduce the coverage distance and identification ability of that camera from the further distance of the driveway. Spot 2 will give you the most even coverage across the entire driveway and up each side of the drive (to side of house and to front door). Now, if your goal is to more protect the side of the house because you clearly have a camera in front on the front door side, I would consider location 1.

Honestly, it's really about what your end coverage and desired goals are. When people post a single pic they get 10 different opinions (while some are wrong) most are not, because the answers they are getting are based on that persons assessment and assumption of what the posters desired outcome is - which, again, if not outlined isn't wrong.
Yea thank you for your input.
green line is current camera from inside the window
Red and blue lines are one of future camera placement.
yellow dot is the entrance to the courtyard gate where people will come up to ring the door bell
870BB6AB-F712-46AC-9D06-F4A3635C4E65.jpeg

Reaction score
blue & green is basically how I will have my 2 low hanging camera's placed (though my green will be more to the right front corner than where you have your's). I also have a #3 camera above 2nd floor window as a more general overwatch of everything in front area.
Consider: if you mount camera directly against wall, you will have to drill a 5/8" or larger hole to fit in the RJ45 plug. If you just run a cat5e/6 cable through and then terminate RJ45 modular plug on the end, the hole could much more smaller (easier to repair/fix later on incase relocate/remove camera) if you use a hooded mount or junction box (of drilling dinky hole since RJ45 plug and slack and be stored in the hood itself).
I also installed a new LED motion detection light where you proposed your #2 camera to replace older light. More lighting the better at night. I too, will have left/right driveway lights on during the night. But surely doesn't hurt to have additional light at night walking out/in driveway when it's raining or such.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the best way to drill a hole on stucco finished homes? Planning to mount a camera above garage door there is a plywood behind stucco. I took pictures before house was finished so i have basic idea what is behind the walls. Here are the pics

View attachment 55534View attachment 55535
Do yourself a favor and study these: Cliff Notes and Wiki.
Your spot that you have chosen is too high. Don't mount any higher than 8ft, other wise you will only get the tops of heads.
If you leave cars parked in the driveway at night, you greatly reduce the chance of getting an ID of any door checkers.
Two cameras, one on each side of the door, close to the door trim at 7ft, looking across each other will get the best coverage of the drive and or cars.
And the coach lights won't cause any problems. Use turrets, not a dome.
You want to know who did it, not just what happened.

Always use a test rig, to test proposed locations for a min of 24hrs, before permanently mounting. 5gal bucket, rocks for ballast and 8' 2x4.
Look at the 5442 Dahua series of cams.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
What to expect with stucco over wood framing link below...and, I think you need to slow down, think about it, research before you buy anything.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

Read study plan before spending money.
-----------------------------

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
17) Camera Sensor size bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess