Sweet! LTS is releasing an ONVIF compatible doorbell with SD card slot and 940nm IR

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How configurable is that RCA 3MP? Frame rate, bit rate, uPnP, PnP and so on?
There's some user feedback on the thread for RCA HSDB2 model(identical to Ezviz model DB1 which is a Hik subsidiary). I have both HSDB1(RCA) and HSDB2(RCA) so my comments below. The minor stuff can be gradually improved with future firmware releases. HSDB2 would've been perfect if it just had ONVIF and web mgmt.

HSDB1
pros: web management, granularity with motion detection, ONVIF to record to my Dahua NVR, RTSP, volume control
cons: No dual band so only 2.4GHz wireless, no built-in wifi signal meter, not great at viewing packages with vert FOV, had to fab my own wedge shims

HSDB2
pros: 5GHz wireless, 3MP, has network signal meter in Hik-Connect app, big bright blue circle ring around call push button, I can see packages better with 180deg vert FOV, RTSP, video
call seems more stable, comes with several wedge shims and power kit
cons: No web management so can't configure frame rate/picture/upnp/etc, no ONVIF so can't record to my Dahua NVR, currently no volume adjust for microphone/video calls, currently
can't delete video calls logs so I had to add 64GB microsd in case, password is limited on use of certain special characters, motion detection is not granular

Mark

n3wb
Reaction score
I've read the first 32 pages of this and plan to scan through the rest...
When I took my device apart to remove the LED's, I noticed a USB connection.
I remember early on someone working with the code, I'm guessing they connected through this...
Has anybody connected through USB lately ??

There's a flat cover above the reset button that will allow access. MicroUSB...
DON'T plug into the micro UBS port if you don't know what you're doing!

Spoken as someone who has done it.

Though it is a standard looking Micro USB connector, the wiring is not standard. The USB's normal power line is connected to the unit's ground. That coupled with the shield ground will short out your USB port. I think most USB ports are supposed to be able to deal with a short, but you may need to reset your computer.

So, directly plugging into the micro USB port isn't going to work and it may screw up whatever computer you're using.

I haven't tried poking around the micro USB's wiring any more than that.

Yeah, it's a lot of pages to sort through, but judicious searching through Google shows you're the first person in this thread to ever type "USB" An advanced search with "USB site:ipcamtalk.com/threads/sweet-lts-is-releasing-an-onvif-compatible-doorbell-with-sd-card-slot-and-940nm-ir.22155" shows every page with the instance of "usb"

Mark

n3wb
Reaction score
Someone identified what looks like an IC here: Identify unknown SMD component code A6530 72130

Looks like a type of fuse.

Yeah, I know this a really late reply, but seeing as how no one's really answered it correctly, I'll chime in now (heh, pun not intended).

So, looking at the datasheet for the component in the August doorbell power board, it is certainly a fuse. How it works is like this:

Wired in parallel with the chime, it shunts part of the current through the power board. The rest of the power goes through the chime. The fuse is about 10ohms, so it's like putting in the same value bypass resistor.

If the electromagnet in the chime is about the same resistance (we'll ignore impedance at our own risk since this is an AC circuit), half the power goes through the chime and the other half goes through the fuse. Hopefully that lower amount of current is not enough to move the hammer enough to hit the... chime. Okay, let's call it the "dinger." If it is, just add another power board to drop the power through the chime to a third. (I'll be using the words "power" and "current" interchangeably, though that's not completely correct)

Now, when the button is pressed, there's a circuit in the camera that just shorts out the power through the camera unit. This causes a surge in current that blows the fuse, sending the full amount of power through the chime's electromagnet, causing the hammer to strike the dinger and giving the "ding" sound.

I'm not sure if the doorbell's short circuit is interrupted by the button (presumably not, or you could disable the camera by holding down the button until its backup capacitor fully discharges) or some other internal mechanism.

Either way, when the camera's circuit cuts the short circuit, the fuse resets (okay, I guess it's a self resetting circuit breaker) and current flows as it was, lower through the chime, allowing the hammer to release and probably overshoot backwards hitting the secondary dinger, the "donger," giving the "dong" sound. Too much current through the electromagnet and the hammer wouldn't "dong."

So the power board is a slight improvement on just a regular load resistor in that it allows more current through the chime when the button is pressed so you get a more forceful "ding" sound. The power board and load resistor both keep the chime from buzzing and lightly chiming when the button isn't pressed.

Yeah, I know, the instructions don't say to put the load resistor in parallel with the chime (though I think others have found that to work), but rather in series with the camera and power supply when there is no chime. This is to prevent burning out the home wiring when the camera's power lines are shorted together when the button is pressed. Otherwise you'd have something like 10 to 40 amps going through wires not designed for that much current.

Okay, I've assumed people here know how a doorbell chime works. If you don't, there are plenty of explanations available with a simple query.

Pilot04

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
pretty sure I remember reading there's RTSP stream?
Yes, there is only RTSP on the HSDB2. I was eventually able to config my Dahua NVR to record the RTSP stream from HSDB2 but it wasn't straightforward as selecting "ONVIF" from dropdown like with the HSDB1.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to open a u-bell to see if it's possible to rotate the camera 90° inside the case?
That would be the perfect FOV for my porch.
My Claire branded version kept getting worse at night so I replaced it with the RCA version that I was going to mount at the back door.

I just took it apart and the answer would be no. The lens part will come off, but the CCD under it looks like is surface mounted to the board. I left my phone at work, so I can't take pictures right now. If you want pics, let me know.

bookemdano

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Someone posted in the HSDB2 thread a video on how to enable two-way audio for the DB1 in BI. Since maybe some folks reading this thread haven't looked at the HSDB2 thread I thought I would put a link to his post here in case anyone else wants to enable it. I tested it on my RCA and it works great:

New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

Edit: I'll also post the steps in case the video later disappears or for folks that just want the procedure:

1. Right click the HSDB1 feed in BI, choose Camera Properties
2. Go to the video tab, click Configure
3. Write down (or better yet, copy to the clipboard) the video path string. If you forget to do that it's
Code:
/h264/ch01/main/av_stream
4. Change the make from Generic/ONVIF to Hikvision
5. Change the model to DS-2CDxxxx RTSP. Note that when you do that the Video path will change.
6. Go to the Video path field and paste/type the original path for this cam
7. Hit OK and OK

Then pull up the cam in your BI app. You should be able to tap the Headphones button and hear audio through your phone/tablet speaker. You should also be able to tap the Microphone button and speak through the speaker on the doorbell.

Of course you could always do this via the Hikvision/RCA/LaView/etc. apps but nice to have the option to record audio with clips in BI.

Thanks to "IDEA Home Automation" on Youtube for figuring that out!

Last edited:

Aocam

n3wb
Reaction score
Newby here. Followed all the instructions and have my Uniden branded doorbell working. Have tried both hik vision app and uniden app. Hik vision seems to have more options. Can someone provide an opinion on which is the best app for controling this doorbell for 2 way communication and monitoring (uniden, HIk, LTS, LaView ) ? There are a lot of comments in this thread, but its a bit hard for a newbe to figure which one to use. Thanx in advance for any help

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Newby here. Followed all the instructions and have my Uniden branded doorbell working. Have tried both hik vision app and uniden app. Hik vision seems to have more options. Can someone provide an opinion on which is the best app for controling this doorbell for 2 way communication and monitoring (uniden, HIk, LTS, LaView ) ? There are a lot of comments in this thread, but its a bit hard for a newbe to figure which one to use. Thanx in advance for any help
Hik-Connect

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm about to receive my Uniden version of the doorbell and am now looking for a new transformator. Since i live in the Netherlands we can't be using the 110 volt versions you guys use.
I have found this one:
Legrand modulaire beltrafo 12-24V 25VA t.b.v. Ring deurbel en Nest Hello systemen - 1-fase stuurtransformator
Do you guys think that this will work ?
The transformer steps down the voltage to 12V or 24V. The specs for the doorbell is 16V to 24V, so it should work. In the US, I have one that is 12V, 16V, or 20V. With 20V, it works fine, 12V was too low (note I have a mechanical doorbell). You could try it with 12V first, but don't think it will work very well.

dony71

n3wb
Reaction score
i would like to give recording video to someone else so that they can see in computer
i notice phone apps recording in file format dat, which not video format
anybody know how to export recording video in video format?

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
i would like to give recording video to someone else so that they can see in computer
i notice phone apps recording in file format dat, which not video format
anybody know how to export recording video in video format?
Try renaming the extension to .mpg

Ehab Saad

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing inconsistency with the notifications for doorbell presses using hik-connect? I get all motion detection notifications almost instantly but the button press ones are hit and miss. I do have the app loaded on my phone and my wife's, if that has any effect on it.