Tariffs and Dahua

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Right now all shipment to US no problem and no tariff .Most Chinese don't want the trade war, China has a huge market for most US companies too.

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If an ordinary citizen cannot buy a Huawei or, say in the future, Dahua device for private use, how does it play with multiple freedoms guaranteed by constitution? Do those devices become controlled substances?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If an ordinary citizen cannot buy a Huawei or, say in the future, Dahua device for private use, how does it play with multiple freedoms guaranteed by constitution? Do those devices become controlled substances?
Hi @pov2

The US constitution allows for tariffs and laws to control commerce iirc

Right now all shipment to US no problem and no tariff .Most Chinese don't want the trade war, China has a huge market for most US companies too.
Hi Andy,

Unfortunately the current setup has been very painful for many Americans and if it continues there will be greater pain. There are numerous systematic problems which will result in a major economic "correction". The "Trade war" is just the "tip of the iceberg" as we say here.

( this is why Trumph was voted in - many Americans were not benefiting from Globalization, USA jobs which paid well were leaving.. small business sellers on ebay are unable to compete with free shipping from China .. many stores are closing in the USA, rent is 2x higher in many cities than workers can afford, .. USA Aluminum business can not compete with China giving their business cheap / free land and power.. )

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @pov2

The US constitution allows for tariffs and laws to control commerce iirc
My question was about a total ban of products, not tariffs. See the previous page of this thread. I understand tariffs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My question was about a total ban of products, not tariffs. See the previous page of this thread. I understand tariffs.
The ban that is being contemplated is the sale of US technology to china, not the other way. Regardless, the law allows banning of products for many different reasons. China needs to learn that they cannot play these type of games.

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@pov2 assume you are aware, as you are in Canada, there is a bit of a spat going on between Canada and China?
Huawei CFO house arrest contrasts with Canadians detained in China - Reuters

Might want to worry about your own yard before crapping on mine.
Why is my question "crapping"? My question was not about tariffs but about total ban of Huawei, Dahua etc. products. I can understand how other countries including Canada can ban anything (Canadian constitution provides an exception to rights and freedoms, so called Notwithstanding Clause, so the government can override the guarantee of rights and freedoms, which is nonsense altogether) but the U.S. is an example of a place with personal freedoms. I genuinely don't understand how can something that's not harmful to others can be banned for personal use. If one orders a Dahua camera from China for personal use, it will be a crime?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why is my question "crapping"? My question was not about tariffs but about total ban of Huawei, Dahua etc. products. I can understand how other countries including Canada can ban anything (Canadian constitution provides an exception to rights and freedoms, so called Notwithstanding Clause, so the government can override the guarantee of rights and freedoms, which is nonsense altogether) but the U.S. is an example of a place with personal freedoms. I genuinely don't understand how can something that's not harmful to others can be banned for personal use. If one orders a Dahua camera from China for personal use, it will be a crime?
You misunderstand the constitution. Lookup the commerce clause.

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The ban that is being contemplated is the sale of US technology to china, not the other way. Regardless, the law allows banning of products for many different reasons. China needs to learn that they cannot play these type of games.
But that's not the reason. Besides, if any other company offered the technology that Dahua offers I would buy their cameras. Dahua is way ahead in technology. How could they steal something that doesn't exist anywhere else?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
But that's not the reason. Besides, if any other company offered the technology that Dahua offers I would buy their cameras. Dahua is way ahead in technology. How could they steal something that doesn't exist anywhere else?
It is the reason. This has nothing to do with hik or dahua (despite the mentions of other reasons). It has to do with Chinese government stealing US Intellectual property and no playing fair on trade.
There are other companies who provide good cameras. Dahua does really make anything, they assemble parts and write firmware. Those sensors are available to many other camera manufactures. See uniview.

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You misunderstand the constitution. Lookup the commerce clause.
Yes, the Commerce Clause allowed for the Controlled Substances Act. Hence, my original question.

Last edited:

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is the reason. This has nothing to do with hik or dahua (despite the mentions of other reasons). It has to do with Chinese government stealing US Intellectual property and no playing fair on trade.
There are other companies who provide good cameras. Dahua does really make anything, they assemble parts and write firmware. Those sensors are available to many other camera manufactures. See uniview.
"Uniview is the pioneer and leader of IP video surveillance.Firstly introduced IP video surveillance to China, Uniview now is the third largest player in video surveillance in China. In 2017, Uniview has the 6th largest global market share."

Uniview is a Chinese company. And the sensors are made by Sony - a Japanese company.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.. but the U.S. is an example of a place with personal freedoms. I genuinely don't understand how can something that's not harmful to others can be banned for personal use. If one orders a Dahua camera from China for personal use, it will be a crime?
Hi @pov2

US Freedoms - there are a large number of US citizens who believe the US is consistently reducing the numbers of freedoms in the USA, as well as a large number of US citizens who want to further reduce freedoms ( example - of those wanting to ban "free speech" on the internet. "Oh you have offended me! So I want to ban your youtube / twitter channel.. " as well as going after their bank accounts )

In terms of imports, the USA does restrict and even ban imports of products which are allowed to be produced domestically. ( example some firearms )

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"The Trump administration is concerned about their role in helping Beijing repress minority Uighurs in China’s west, they said, asking not to be identified talking about private deliberations. There’s concern also that Hikvision’s or Dahua’s cameras, which come with facial-recognition capabilities, could be employed in espionage, the people said."

That all I could find as for the reason. No mention of stealing. Chinese are ahead of others in surveillance systems. They couldn't steal the technology if no one else offers it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
"The Trump administration is concerned about their role in helping Beijing repress minority Uighurs in China’s west, they said, asking not to be identified talking about private deliberations. There’s concern also that Hikvision’s or Dahua’s cameras, which come with facial-recognition capabilities, could be employed in espionage, the people said."

That all I could find as for the reason. No mention of stealing. Chinese are ahead of others in surveillance systems. They couldn't steal the technology if no one else offers it.
You have not been up to date on the china trade issues. Google is your friend.
China steals US IP. Not specific to surveillance. The chinese are not head of the West in surveillance. They are actually far behind. They simply lead on price.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
"Uniview is the pioneer and leader of IP video surveillance.Firstly introduced IP video surveillance to China, Uniview now is the third largest player in video surveillance in China. In 2017, Uniview has the 6th largest global market share."

Uniview is a Chinese company. And the sensors are made by Sony - a Japanese company.
I understand that uniview is chinese, you missed my point. You claimed dahua was somehow technologically advanced. They are not. They basically assemble products made by others just like uniview does.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Remember this?
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

And the camera backdoor while back where they had to release a patch to close it permanently. You can say that it was accidentally left in the code but again was it?

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You have not been up to date on the china trade issues. Google is your friend.
China steals US IP. Not specific to surveillance. The chinese are not head of the West in surveillance. They are actually far behind. They simply lead on price.
I am up to date on the trade issues. I am talking specifically about surveillance cameras as the subject of this forum. Please let me know what non-Chinese camera I can buy that will be as good or better than Dahua's even if more expensive.

To be up to date on the video surveillance industry please see this: The spectacular rise of the Chinese video surveillance industry - IFSEC Global | Security and Fire News and Resources