Thanks for having me, going to ask about free or diy cloud storage

benawhile

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
I need security for my small detached house in centre of a medium sized town and have pretty quickly realised the advantages of cloud storage of camera footage over storage on site in that it can't be stolen.
I am trying to work out how the various systems work before buying and one thing I don't understand is that if you can view footage from your home cameras from other locations in the globe, is it possible to devise a system of routing it via a similar device from your home, directly to private storage of your own, cutting out the cost of renting cloud space from the camera manufacturers?

pkbristol2

n3wb
Reaction score
I've just started using Mega, free cloud storage, it's working well so far. Installed on my pc, iSPY is my surveillance program, recorded videos go into folder X, Mega then upload files in folder X, i can then view those video files in the android Mega app. If my pc /iSPY records a video that video is available in my android Mega app almost instantly, under 1 minute.

benawhile

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. Could you do this with any system? I am currently looking at Reolink, Hikvision and Yale

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you get a traditional NVR then I don't think you will have much in the way of offsite backup capability. Use PC software like Blue Iris (or as noted above, iSpy), and then you can sync the recordings folder with dropbox or any of the other cloud storage providers. Or you could run your own with an app like Owncloud or Nextcloud.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
looney was warning mainly about cameras that operate via the cloud, like Nest/Ring/Netgear Arlo, etc. Such cameras heavily compress the stream so you lose quality, and they still use a ton of your internet bandwidth. They only work while your internet connection is working, and charge a subscription for anything more than a trivial amount of storage. Also, such cameras usually operate on wifi which is a big source of reliability issues.

benawhile

n3wb
Reaction score
Well I was wondering about that. All along something was concerning me about bandwidth, and relying on wi-fi. But using a NVR seemed to have drawbacks too in that they could get stolen as easily as anything else in the house. I mean, a burglar with a whole night to spend in a house, the first thing they would look for would be the NVR unit, surely. Then you would have nothing.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the burglar is coming in at night, all he has to do is hold a flashlight in front of his face and aim it at your cameras as he approaches them and they're not going get a usuable clip of him. There are a lot of easy ways to work around camera systems. This is why folks here repeat that surveillance systems are not security systems. If you're really worried about someone breaking into your house, get a security system first. Then they won't have "all night" to spend in your house...

In regards to someone trying to steal the NVR/PC, the usual workarounds deployed by members here are to put SD cards in the cameras and set the cameras to additionally record to them. Installing a small network-attached device in the house (like a Synology or QNAP) in a not-obvious location away from a PC running BI/iSpy/whatever is another option. Some Dahua NVRs used to have a feature that would let them mirror the backups to another NVR that can be hidden elsewhere in the house.

IMO, you're spot on about bandwidth especially when you consider that Best Practice is to record continuously from all cameras (not just when they detect motion) because motion detection isn't 100% reliable and there's nothing worse than having an event happen and finding out your camera system missed it because it was set to record motion only and the camera didn't detect any motion.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I was wondering about that. All along something was concerning me about bandwidth, and relying on wi-fi. But using a NVR seemed to have drawbacks too in that they could get stolen as easily as anything else in the house. I mean, a burglar with a whole night to spend in a house, the first thing they would look for would be the NVR unit, surely. Then you would have nothing.
NVR's and pcs are rarely if ever stolen. You can also hide NVR's/pc's or nas. A burglar should not have all night in your house. IF you dont have a basic alarm system then you should spend your money on that before cameras. If you want to cover all your possibilities, then what stops a burglar from cutting your cable line to your home, now your cloud storage is useless. What if they wear a mask - you cameras are now useless. What if....I can do this all day.

benawhile

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, I had already figured that a motion detected alarm system would be needed and plan to buy a system by Yale.

Reaction score
And before an alarm system, good locks, doors, window protection (films etc.) will prevent, delay or deter the burglar from even attempting to break in in the first place, as well as good exterior lighting, removing hiding places/ spots/ areas where burglars could work unnoticed (and will also help with your camera's sight lines).

When it comes to electronic security systems, if you're not going with a police monitored system (i.e. a system where the police will turn up in minutes), I can highly recommend installing a few internal sounders, so that when the alarm is triggered, an unholy racket is created inside the home that will make it as uncomfortable as possible for burglars to remain and work in the property, and draw as much attention as possible to the property.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
If you use cloud storage, you may use up all your allowed bandwidth for the month.

Read study plan before spending money... plan plan.....

====================================
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
18) Camera lens size Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
IPC-T3241-ZAS ...... Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal -- 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal
IPC-HFW2831T-ZS ... Review-Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera -- 8MP Bullet 1/1.8” sensor variable focus.
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry
IPC-T2347G-LU....... Review-Loryta OEM 4MP IPC-T2347G-LU ColorVu Fixed Turret Network 4mm lens & Junction Box -- 4MP ColorVu
.................... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera.

Other dahua 4MP starlight
My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A
If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Before asking a question search the forum first...
The best way to search the forum is to use Google
In the google search window enter.. site:ipcamtalk.com ?????? ..where ?????? is the items/terms you are interested in.
Example site:ipcamtalk.com PALE MOON BROWSER

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess