Unable to update?

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hi folks, version 4.8.4.3 x64 and the update button is now grayed out and I cannot check for updates. Is this a "feature" ?

Thx

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That does appear to be the case if your support plan has expired. All three update checkboxes and the "Check for update now" button are disabled if your support plan has expired, but remain accessible if your license still has an active support plan.

This wasn't mentioned in the release notes for 4.8.4.x, but if we look back to the 4.2.8 patch on January 7, 2016, there was this:

• New support and maintenance plans have been developed in an effort to handle the ever-increasing demand and to more effectively balance this with time spent on software development. A software license remains perpetual, and NOT a subscription. However, that license now includes one year of Basic support via email. In order to remain current with support, you may choose to optionally sign up for the Extended support plan via the new link on the Options page. Extended support includes continued access to email support, software updates and all major version upgrades that occur while you are covered. There's also a Priority support option which adds a dedicated inbox together with the possibility for enhanced support via phone or remote desktop as deemed necessary to assist you.
Therefore I believe this change has been planned for nearly three years, but only just now implemented.

Historically I believe there have never been any license checks in the update installer so I'm guessing you would still be able to get BI 4 updates from here: Blue Iris Updates However BI has a tradition of updating major versions on or around December 25th which is just a few weeks away now, so it is possible there will be no further BI 4 updates anyway before the release of BI 5.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Historically I believe there have never been any license checks in the update installer so I'm guessing you would still be able to get BI 4 updates from here: Blue Iris Updates
This new feature removal is a bummer. I certainly hope we will be able to manually update. First time I've been disappointed by a Blue Iris update.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Economics... there is no free lunch.
A guy has got to make a living.
I agree. But I don't need technical support, I simply need updates. So why must I pay for tech support when I only need updates. And why can't the software at least notify me that a new version is available? As it stands right now it appears that I'm in the dark as to new version releases. In addition, as Ken charges for major version releases (e.g. 4.x to 5.x), I pay him for his software nearly every year (when I move between major version releases), to which I must add I am happy to do. Last but not least, I run two (2) licensed copies of Ken's software (1 at home and 1 at the office); am I now to pay for support twice just to update each license installation? I like Ken. I like his software. But this kinda sucks. A lot. But on the upside it does give me something new to complain about.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Someone is always bitching about something :)
You can not keep all the people happy all the time.

For me when I restart the BI user interface there is a popup that indicates a new version is available. I have BI auto up turned off.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. But I don't need technical support, I simply need updates. So why must I pay for tech support when I only need updates. And why can't the software at least notify me that a new version is available? As it stands right now it appears that I'm in the dark as to new version releases. In addition, as Ken charges for major version releases (e.g. 4.x to 5.x), I pay him for his software nearly every year (when I move between major version releases), to which I must add I am happy to do. Last but not least, I run two (2) licensed copies of Ken's software (1 at home and 1 at the office); am I now to pay for support twice just to update each license installation? I like Ken. I like his software. But this kinda sucks. A lot. But on the upside it does give me something new to complain about.
To clarify, you dont pay for major releases every year. V4 was released four years ago, December 25 2018 and V3 three years before that on December 25 2011. So that is twice in seven years.
The support/updates is a package deal. There is no other vms that I am aware of other than Nxwitness/DW that provides free updates. They charge 70 per camera in licensing.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For me when I restart the BI user interface there is a popup that indicates a new version is available. I have BI auto up turned off.
  1. Here's the deal: if you initiate the 4.8.4.3 update with "Software Support & Maintenance" > "Prompt At Startup" checked, then "Prompt At Startup" remains checked after the 4.8.4.3 update has been installed.
  2. However, if you initiate the 4.8.4.3 update with "Software Support & Maintenance" > "Prompt At Startup" unchecked then "Prompt At Startup" remains unchecked after the 4.8.4.3 update has been installed and it is grayed out so "Prompt At Startup" can no longer be checked.

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi - I bought BI last week - do I need the basic plan to get updates?

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
So when I pay for the next major revision, I will qualify for the free minor updates for a year ? Will the next major revision be out shortly (sometime this month) as BP stated?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So when I pay for the next major revision, I will qualify for the free minor updates for a year ? Will the next major revision be out shortly (sometime this month) as BP stated?
yes.
As far as the release, its anyone guess but BP's reasoning is sound. In the past major revision updates were sold at half price, $30.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So question: Is there any "sneak peak" at what V5 may be like?

I'm just thinking about all my videos i've made on V4 may now be irrelevant when V5 comes out :smash:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I note the BI web site now says "If your support and maintenance have expired, please use Upgrade/Renew from Options before manually installing any updates." https://blueirissoftware.com/updates/

I don't think it is Ken's goal to prevent people from installing minor version updates. Likely, he cares far more about reducing the volume of support email. Updates can break things in a previously-working system, so disabling BI's self-updating features for those with expired support plans should drastically reduce the volume of email from those users. If manual updates are still available, we'll still be able to recommend to users that they install the latest version as a troubleshooting step.

I think we won't begin to feel the true impact of this change for at least another year, though. In theory, there won't be (m)any more BI 4 updates, and then each new BI 5 license will come with another year of basic support. So it will be around 2020 before anyone is really affected by this change in a meaningful way.

So question: Is there any "sneak peak" at what V5 may be like?

I'm just thinking about all my videos i've made on V4 may now be irrelevant when V5 comes out :smash:
I think it is unlikely that Ken would redesign the entire UI for V5. That is a lot of work for not a lot of gain. But you never know. I think BI has had the same basic layout since forever.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think that is what it means...

When you click upgrade/renew it takes you to a screen to enter a new product key or to UPGRADE to Extended/Priority service.

I think what this means is before you try and "manually update" Blue Iris you need to upgrade with extended or priority first or bad things will happen.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If that was the case then the "Check for update" button would still be enabled and "Auto update" disabled.... unless you are right and he will allow manual updates to still work... :secret:

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What happened when V4 was released? Were V3 updates still available or did they cease? Could be V5 is almost here.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know about you but I never let BI automatically update itself, and 99% of the time when I update it I use the button in the interface to check for updates, then I click yes. Either way, most people update BI using these self-updating features, and leaving any of them available to expired support plans would mean more support email from those with expired plans.