YooSee SD-M5 doorbell: 1080p, PoE, RTSP, Onvif, only $66

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Doorbell button press to RF 433 to MQTT to Home assistant - WORKING!!!
The key was using gqrx app to discover the correct frequency, which was 433.886 (thanks danyhat).
I finally got this working, but it was a long journey. I'll document it here for anyone else having this problem.
Good to hear you got it resolved, maybe I'll pick one up to play with (I have the first gen (RCA, Clare, etc) Hikvision. I've been using my RTL for monitoring airplanes in the area (though traffic is way down now) and my brother is a HAM and plays with it for radio, not sure what software he uses.

Reaction score
The key was using gqrx app to discover the correct frequency, which was 433.886 (thanks danyhat).
I finally got this working, but it was a long journey. I'll document it here for anyone else having this problem.

1. I ordered this RTL SDR USB stick from Amazon
  2. I used Ubuntu and installed rtl_433 application
  3. From terminal, with USB plugged in, I ran this command, using the frequency 433.886:
    1. rtl_433 -f 433.886M -F mqtt:/192.168.0.50:1883,user=mqttuser,pass=mqttpassword,retain=0,events=sensors/rtl_433
  4. In Home Assistant, goto 'Developer Tools / MQTT / Listen' and use the topic 'sensors/rtl_433/#'
  5. Now press the doorbell
  6. This will give you a nice JSON output:
    1. {
      "time": "2020-04-13 10:15:19",
      "model": "Microchip-HCS200",
      "id": "0FFFFFFF",
      "encrypted": "FFFFFFFF",
      "button1": "ON",
      "button2": "ON",
      "button3": "ON",
      "button4": "ON",
      "misc": "",
      "battery_ok": 0
      }
Thanks for all the help on this forum.
Much appreciated.
* UPDATE *
Upon moving the doorbell back to the front door, the reception is not consistently good, so I need to look at improving the aerial, either on the USB dongle or the doorbell itself.
Has anyone had any experience with this?

danyhat

n3wb
Reaction score
* UPDATE *
Upon moving the doorbell back to the front door, the reception is not consistently good, so I need to look at improving the aerial, either on the USB dongle or the doorbell itself.
Has anyone had any experience with this?
For the camera: Locate the antenna, add a cable and an external antenna. Directional if required.
For the dongle:
  • change the location
  • increase rtl gain
  • use a 433 antenna, especially a directional one. The one that came with the dongle usually is not that good
  • use a 433mhz bandpass filter to exclude other freqs

johnnyletrois

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully connected the doorbell chime to a zwave or other sensor?

danyhat

n3wb
Reaction score
Related to this camera: is it worth it the price, and can actually work, or it's just half baked? Considering going for this or the HKV.

Thanks.

EDIT: can it record directly to a SMB, FTP, NFS, etc..?

Reaction score
Success!!!!
This is my ultimate setup for detecting the Doorbell button press, many thanks to whoami for finding the correct pins on the USB chime.
The essence is fitting a wifi switch which you can control via MQTT or just on / off switching.
  1. Take a Wemos D1 mini, install Tasmota firmware
  2. Solder wires onto USB chime, +5v, GDN and data
  3. Connect the +5v and GND wires to the Wemos, which will give the USB chime power
  4. Connect the data wire to pin D2 on the Wemos
  5. Plug a USB cable into the Wemos, which will power both units
  6. In Tasmota config set as per screen shot attached
  7. In Home Assistant (in my case using Node-RED), set an automation which detects the Wemos turning on
  8. Sit back and enjoy 100% Doorbell button detection
To finish off, I will remove the USB plug on the USB chime (no longer required), and mount both units in a nice box. I'll post pics once complete.

IMG_1371.JPG
IMG_8780.JPG
IMG_3179.JPG
Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 10.36.58.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
And here is the completed doorbell, mounted in my old doorbell chime box, with USB chime and Wemos D1 mini.

IMG_9133.JPG
IMG_3417.JPG
IMG_5834.JPG

johnnyletrois

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Where is the data output on the chime? Can you show a photo. Thanks!

Success!!!!
This is my ultimate setup for detecting the Doorbell button press, many thanks to whoami for finding the correct pins on the USB chime.
The essence is fitting a wifi switch which you can control via MQTT or just on / off switching.
  1. Take a Wemos D1 mini, install Tasmota firmware
  2. Solder wires onto USB chime, +5v, GDN and data
  3. Connect the +5v and GND wires to the Wemos, which will give the USB chime power
  4. Connect the data wire to pin D2 on the Wemos
  5. Plug a USB cable into the Wemos, which will power both units
  6. In Tasmota config set as per screen shot attached
  7. In Home Assistant (in my case using Node-RED), set an automation which detects the Wemos turning on
  8. Sit back and enjoy 100% Doorbell button detection
To finish off, I will remove the USB plug on the USB chime (no longer required), and mount both units in a nice box. I'll post pics once complete.

View attachment 59681
View attachment 59682
View attachment 59683
View attachment 59684

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To be fair... "if" you install this doorbell as advertized with no modifications or attempts to make it work Blue Iris, Raspberry Pi, a PC or Mac, NVR or DVR and use a smartphone or computer via the internet to set it up and control it, then it works okay. However, like you, I also discovered an internet connection is required for many of the advertised features to work. As a POE video camera only... it works without internet access... but that's where the handshake ends. Its the rest of the features that seem to need the internet. :banghead: FYI: I have mine connected to one of those questionable Lorex Home Security "kits" (like they well at Sams or Costco). With my installation I do not use the included doorbell 12V power adapter. Mine is connected to the using a single Ethernet cable, from the doorbell, thru a Ubiquiti INS-3AF-I-G adapter , and into a port on the NVR. This gives me 24/7 video captured by my NVR... but thats where my install goes downhill. The date, time, motion alerts, doorbell notifications, 2-way intercom etc etc... do not work without internet access. When connected to the internet via my router, and using the Android app, I am able to set all sorts of features, access, time zones, RTSP etc. , and they work as advertised... but as soon as I disconnect from the router and switch to my wired configuration... all settings and changes I made are "cleared". Even the date time reverts back to 1970/01/01. I can't help but wonder if that disconnect might be the issue when you set the RTSP password. Hopefully another BI user can come to the rescue.

In the meantime... if you haven't already:
Verify you are running the most current version of BI.
When in the Android app... make sure to use the same RTSP password as in BI.
Disable hardware acceleration for the camera.
Hi @Elton Noway,
Thanks for this info. Sorry I'm digging up an older post, but I'm interested in this Yoosee doorbell camera. I don't really need features like correct time stamps or motion alerts or 2-way radio. But I do need a local video stream from the camera (without giving it internet access), and would like to be able to provision it without using an app. Does this thing have a webpage GUI that can be accessed for configuration? Does the RTSP protocol not work unless the doorbell camera has internet access?

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

that_kid

n3wb
Reaction score

1. I ordered this RTL SDR USB stick from Amazon
  2. I used Ubuntu and installed rtl_433 application
  3. From terminal, with USB plugged in, I ran this command, using the frequency 433.886:
    1. rtl_433 -f 433.886M -F mqtt:/192.168.0.50:1883,user=mqttuser,pass=mqttpassword,retain=0,events=sensors/rtl_433
  4. In Home Assistant, goto 'Developer Tools / MQTT / Listen' and use the topic 'sensors/rtl_433/#'
  5. Now press the doorbell
  6. This will give you a nice JSON output:
    1. {
      "time": "2020-04-13 10:15:19",
      "model": "Microchip-HCS200",
      "id": "0FFFFFFF",
      "encrypted": "FFFFFFFF",
      "button1": "ON",
      "button2": "ON",
      "button3": "ON",
      "button4": "ON",
      "misc": "",
      "battery_ok": 0
      }
Thanks for all the help on this forum.
Much appreciated.

Interesting, when I try your method I don't get any output when pushing the bell button. I see my accurite temp sensor posting updates but not the bell.

Reaction score
Interesting, when I try your method I don't get any output when pushing the bell button. I see my accurite temp sensor posting updates but not the bell.
I only got it working when testing on my bench (devices next to each other), once I moved it back in situ, it didnt detect it, I was looking at upgrading aerials, but then hit upon a much more reliable solution, see here.

that_kid

n3wb
Reaction score
I only got it working when testing on my bench (devices next to each other), once I moved it back in situ, it didnt detect it, I was looking at upgrading aerials, but then hit upon a much more reliable solution, see here.
Ok I did the same but I also wired the output of the receiver into pin 3 of the d1 mini. This way I can actually add a 433 library and allow the wemos to eventually detect the signal and not rely on the code hopping chip.

Reaction score
Ok I did the same but I also wired the output of the receiver into pin 3 of the d1 mini. This way I can actually add a 433 library and allow the wemos to eventually detect the signal and not rely on the code hopping chip.
Could you give us more info please, I don't understand what you did and how it works?

that_kid

n3wb
Reaction score
I did the same thing as did Speedracer did here, in addition to that I also connected the output the of rf board to gpio 3 on the d1 mini. This way down the road I can use the d1 mini to decode the rf signal and remove the chime from the equation.

Aus_fas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I also got this doorbell cam streaming on my Honeywell Tuxedo WiFi keypad.

the path to get it streaming on this is just onvif2

not /onvif2 (no path separator)

onvif2 path is for the low res stream.
Can you please share complete settings of MPEG, RTSP boxes as well ?

Aus_fas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks - I was just reading a post you made on the Yoosee support site. :)
IPCTestTool - or at least the English-y version V01.00.00.62 - does not seem to be able find my device. Onvif test tool sometimes discovers it. Onvif Device Manager reliably finds it, can query 'capabilities' successfully, but anything else fails. CMSclient keeps throwing Password Errors, but won't allow me to proceed with a blank password.
I was getting frustrated running WireShark - the device just keeps closing TCP connections.... but RTSP streaming (main stream, anyway) works fine to my Dahua NVR.

It's so close..... but so far.
Hey Mike,
How did you resolve this issue, I was able to see with IPCTestTool not sure which chineese button I pressed now its not coming up in IPCTool and rest as you mentioned in for other apps (same behaviour)

Aus_fas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm looking for a doorbell for my Dahua NVR setup.
I prefer using wired network to the doorbell and seems this is the only one that can do that? (other Hikvision and Dahua are all wifi)

So, can this doorbell connect to Dahua NVR using ONVIF? or have to be manually setting RTSP links?
And it requires using Yoosee's app to talk to the cam and that will use their cloud, so must be internet connected?

BTW, for those having Z-Wave Plus setup, rather than getting USB chime, you might check Aeotec Siren 6 (or Aeotec Doorbell 6, the siren is the same). It can be paired with three 433Mhz RF input which I assume it's the same 433Mhz used in other products, haven't confirmed though. Using a compatible hub, can then configure the inputs to trigger other events or notifications in the automation system
How will I be able to pair it with the doorbell ?