YooSee SD-M5 doorbell: 1080p, PoE, RTSP, Onvif, only $66

stefenkaur

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought the Yoosee doorbell cam and have had it hooked up for several months to Blu Iris 5. I used the native app for the doorbell to get setup and set the password for ONVIF RTSP stream. Only thing I noticed is it drops out every so often. But for $65 it’s good enough until something better comes along.97B7142F-9E55-44EA-8066-60E096AC83E2.png

Attachments

megazone23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks - I was just reading a post you made on the Yoosee support site. :)
IPCTestTool - or at least the English-y version V01.00.00.62 - does not seem to be able find my device. Onvif test tool sometimes discovers it. Onvif Device Manager reliably finds it, can query 'capabilities' successfully, but anything else fails. CMSclient keeps throwing Password Errors, but won't allow me to proceed with a blank password.
I was getting frustrated running WireShark - the device just keeps closing TCP connections.... but RTSP streaming (main stream, anyway) works fine to my Dahua NVR.

It's so close..... but so far.
I'm looking for a doorbell for my Dahua NVR setup.
I prefer using wired network to the doorbell and seems this is the only one that can do that? (other Hikvision and Dahua are all wifi)

So, can this doorbell connect to Dahua NVR using ONVIF? or have to be manually setting RTSP links?
And it requires using Yoosee's app to talk to the cam and that will use their cloud, so must be internet connected?

BTW, for those having Z-Wave Plus setup, rather than getting USB chime, you might check Aeotec Siren 6 (or Aeotec Doorbell 6, the siren is the same). It can be paired with three 433Mhz RF input which I assume it's the same 433Mhz used in other products, haven't confirmed though. Using a compatible hub, can then configure the inputs to trigger other events or notifications in the automation system

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi, I just received my Yoosee doorbell, have installed it and added it to Blue Iris using the settings highlighted in the attached screen grab.
I have a couple of questions for anyone who can answer please:

1. I am trying to add this to Home Assistant, so am looking for the 'still_image_url', is there a snapshot url to grab a jpeg from, for example, ?
2. I have the Yoosee app setup on my iPhone, all working. When someone presses the doorbell, how do I get the app to notify me without the app being open?
3. I have the USB chime, which I have paired to the doorbell, I also have an RF Bridge flashed with portisch firmware, which I was using with my old RF433 doorbell, but I cant detect the doorbell press in RF Bridge, how do I go about this?

Attachments

Last edited:

Kennsys

n3wb
Reaction score
I also checked for a drop to zero and got the same results. Was getting ready to respond when I saw your reply. Not to confuse the issue, but as mentioned in one of my previous posts... since YouSee is the app creator for this doorbell I believe the YouSee SD-M5 is actually a renamed KW-05 as made by KONX Electronics LLC but marketed my YouSee.

In any event, per KNOX LLC, the KW-05 works "with" your existing mechanical doorbell, however I have been unable to find any reference or documentation as how to acheive this.
Also... unlike advertisement for the SD-M5 ... some ad for the KNOX KW05 show a "Power Regulator" as an optional accessory. I can't help but wonder "if" it's a requirement for connecting a mechanical bell. In the meantime... I sent an email to KNOX LLC asking for clarification on how to accomplish the mecanical doorbell connection.

View attachment 49183
Hello guys, it is possible to connect this doorbell to a mechanical chime. You need a Power Regulator for this. See links. DS6855 | module voor aansluiten bestaande gong op de DS6840/6841 - (in Dutch)
I just don't know where this Power Regulator is for sale outside the Netherlands

Attachments

megazone23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello guys, it is possible to connect this doorbell to a mechanical chime. You need a Power Regulator for this. See links. DS6855 | module voor aansluiten bestaande gong op de DS6840/6841 - (in Dutch)
I just don't know where this Power Regulator is for sale outside the Netherlands
From the connections, it looks like it's a relay more than a fancy name "power regulator", it doesn't seem there is power regulating here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The relay NO/COM connection acts as original door bell mechanical button. NO is normally open. When there is trigger, NO becomes closed, same as press the button to close the loop of the door bell. From the browser's translation, it said "From the doorbell, a wireless signal goes to this module when the doorbell button is pressed outside."

So, my guess is it's basically a 433Mhz RF single relay. It's powered by the Vcc/Gnd, and paired with the Yoosee button (in fact, can be paired with multiple buttons)
For a RF relay, it's way overpriced at 39 Euro. It's only a few US dollars at aliexpress, the one I got for adding more cheap remote to my garage door.

There are many choices depends on voltage and with remote or not, might be able to find one using the power from the transformer of your chime so not requiring another transformer to power the relay.

Last edited:

Kennsys

n3wb
Reaction score
From the connections, it looks like it's a relay more than a fancy name "power regulator", it doesn't seem there is power regulating here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The relay NO/COM connection acts as original door bell mechanical button. NO is normally open. When there is trigger, NO becomes closed, same as press the button to close the loop of the door bell. From the browser's translation, it said "From the doorbell, a wireless signal goes to this module when the doorbell button is pressed outside."

So, my guess is it's basically a 433Mhz RF single relay. It's powered by the Vcc/Gnd, and paired with the Yoosee button (in fact, can be paired with multiple buttons)
For a RF relay, it's way overpriced at 39 Euro. It's only a few US dollars at aliexpress, the one I got for adding more cheap remote to my garage door.

There are many choices depends on voltage and with remote or not, might be able to find one using the power from the transformer of your chime so not requiring another transformer to power the relay.
No, it is not a Power Regular. It is likely to be called so, so that the price can increase. It looks like a 443MHz receiver in combination with a relay. You can indeed buy this on AliExpress for a few Euros. You just have to be careful that the contact is not constantly closed when the relay is triggered. The contact must therefore only be closed for a short period, otherwise the chime will continue to sound continuously (Output way: Momentary). See link on Aliexpress:

megazone23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone got this Yoosee doorbell working with ONVIF NVR with 2 way audio? (not Blue Iris or software)
Want to see if it can be used only wired with my Dahua NVR.

Reaction score
Has anyone tried flashing the aliexpress versions of this with the yoosee firmware. As Im in au it works out a fair bit cheaper.

Plus the ezviz Db1 doorbell isn't currently available for delivery at a decent price.

Kennsys

n3wb
Reaction score
hello guys, has anyone managed to stem the notivication of the YooSee app. The app goes off 8 times on my phone when the doorbell is pressed. I have already tried everything but the amount of notivication remains much too much.

Reaction score
Hi, I see a few people on here have the doorbell button press being detected and activating in RFLink Gateway.
I have since built an RFLink Gateway, and although it detects most other RF 433 devices I have, and even detects the SD-M5 unlock feature in the Yoosee app, I cant get it to detect the actual doorbell button press, when I press the doorbell button, nothing is detected. I do have it paired with the USB chime, does that have anything to do with me not being able to detect the button click?
I also have a Sonoff RF Bridge with Tasmota and Portisch firmware, and this acts the same as RFLink, using rfraw 177 (sniffing mode) most other things are detected, except the actual doorbell button press.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.

danyhat

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Congratulations for the excellent work on this doorbell.
I'm thinking about joining the band. Is it worth it? The doorbell has any movement detection/automatic recording capabilities or BI will be required?
Also, anyone managed to sniff the traffic to the cloud servers? Is it HTTP or something stranger?
I'm particularly interested in replicating the server with a local instance.

Thanks

To @speedyrazor: do you have an RTL SDR? That would allow you to check if a signal is actually sent and is received with enough power.

Reaction score
To @speedyrazor: do you have an RTL SDR? That would allow you to check if a signal is actually sent and is received with enough power.
I haven't used an RTL SDR before, but just ordered one for tomorrow delivery. Can you give me some tips of how to use it in relation this this please?
Many thanks.

danyhat

n3wb
Reaction score
You can use it with SDR#, gqrx or other similar software to see the radio signals being transmitted in a waterfall view.
Therefore you will be able to see if an event is effectively sent and if the signal level is reasonable.

If you wish you may also use RTL433 to decode signals sent to this frequency. It will be like the bridge but must more flexible. You will get many signals (home sensors, home weather stations,. the neighbours scale, cars in the street, remote controls...)
It is not difficult to pipe the output of RTL433 to an MQTT broker so that you may actually trigger events.

Reaction score
I have received my RTL SDR (Link), using gqrx application on mac, I can see things happening on 433 frequency, including the unlock button on the IOS app, but nothing at all from the doorbell button press (my USB Chime is activated every-time, so button press is working fine), I even stood next to the doorbell with my laptop / USB dongle / aerial, etc, nothing.
I then changed to 868 frequency and I can see it detects something when I press the doorbell button, but I don't know what to do with that, I've included the gqrx screen grab, and you can see the horizontal line when I pressed the doorbell button, if someone can assist me in deciphering this please, I would be very grateful.

Attachments

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi, I just received my Yoosee doorbell, have installed it and added it to Blue Iris using the settings highlighted in the attached screen grab.
I have a couple of questions for anyone who can answer please:

1. I am trying to add this to Home Assistant, so am looking for the 'still_image_url', is there a snapshot url to grab a jpeg from, for example, ?
2. I have the Yoosee app setup on my iPhone, all working. When someone presses the doorbell, how do I get the app to notify me without the app being open?
3. I have the USB chime, which I have paired to the doorbell, I also have an RF Bridge flashed with portisch firmware, which I was using with my old RF433 doorbell, but I cant detect the doorbell press in RF Bridge, how do I go about this?
Since you are using BL, you can grab it from BL instead, for example if your BL server is 192.168.10.140 and you are using the default port 81 for ui3, with a cam named in BL as FrontDoor, try the following, under your camera section in your configuration.yaml:
Code:
camera:
- platform: mjpeg
    name: FrontDoor
    mjpeg_url: http://192.168.10.140:81/mjpg/FrontDoor/video.m3u8
    still_image_url: http://192.168.10.140:81/image/FrontDoor

Reaction score
Since you are using BL, you can grab it from BL instead, for example if your BL server is 192.168.10.140 and you are using the default port 81 for ui3, with a cam named in BL as FrontDoor, try the following, under your camera section in your configuration.yaml:
Code:
camera:
- platform: mjpeg
    name: FrontDoor
    mjpeg_url: http://192.168.10.140:81/mjpg/FrontDoor/video.m3u8
    still_image_url: http://192.168.10.140:81/image/FrontDoor
I just integrated that technique with Blue Iris, works great.
Many thanks for the tip.

andy tren

n3wb
Reaction score
I read about Yoosee 1080p smart video doorbell, I understand that dont have support 802.3at/af for between Doorbell and Switch POE or NVR POE, won't work, need POE Injector with power supply up to 12 - 24V DC only, 802.3at/af normally around 48V, if POE 802.3at/af connect to doorbell will smoke right?

I see Yoosee POE Injector connect input ethernet from doorbell, and connect output to Non-POE Switch/Router.

but what possible Switch/NVR POE connect to output POE Injector and input from doorbell, even Power Supply 12VDC connect input POE Injector, Doorbell won't get high volt 48V from even through POE Injector from POE Switch/NVR POE 48V? power over ethernet pin 4 & 5 and 7 & 8 wondering maybe cut or regulated limit volt inside POE Injector. idea small cable cut power between POE Injector and POE Switch or NVR POE safe no output 48V to connect output POE Injector.

I show draw for example, I will test before install when I order Doorbell.

Attachments

andy tren

n3wb
Reaction score

megazone23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thought only one sec pulse short time! maybe should have feature setting long pulse 8 sec door bell, have done?
I believe mechanical chime only needs a short pulse and that's how the door bell button work. You don't hold the button, you just press and release.

andy tren

n3wb
Reaction score
I read about Yoosee 1080p smart video doorbell, I understand that dont have support 802.3at/af for between Doorbell and Switch POE or NVR POE, won't work, need POE Injector with power supply up to 12 - 24V DC only, 802.3at/af normally around 48V, if POE 802.3at/af connect to doorbell will smoke right?

I see Yoosee POE Injector connect input ethernet from doorbell, and connect output to Non-POE Switch/Router.

but what possible Switch/NVR POE connect to output POE Injector and input from doorbell, even Power Supply 12VDC connect input POE Injector, Doorbell won't get high volt 48V from even through POE Injector from POE Switch/NVR POE 48V? power over ethernet pin 4 & 5 and 7 & 8 wondering maybe cut or regulated limit volt inside POE Injector. idea small cable cut power between POE Injector and POE Switch or NVR POE safe no output 48V to connect output POE Injector.

I show draw for example, I will test before install when I order Doorbell.
12-24V DC input POE Injector straight to doorbell only, separate POE Switch/NVR 48V wont through POE Injector to doorbell, looks like here picture, all be fine safe, Maybe POE Switch/NVR 802.3at/af won't work communicate data through doorbell standard ethernet, because Doorbell is Passive PoE only.

Attachments

Reaction score
Doorbell button press to RF 433 to MQTT to Home assistant - WORKING!!!
The key was using gqrx app to discover the correct frequency, which was 433.886 (thanks danyhat).
I finally got this working, but it was a long journey. I'll document it here for anyone else having this problem.

1. I ordered this RTL SDR USB stick from Amazon
  2. I used Ubuntu and installed rtl_433 application
  3. From terminal, with USB plugged in, I ran this command, using the frequency 433.886:
    1. rtl_433 -f 433.886M -F mqtt:/192.168.0.50:1883,user=mqttuser,pass=mqttpassword,retain=0,events=sensors/rtl_433
  4. In Home Assistant, goto 'Developer Tools / MQTT / Listen' and use the topic 'sensors/rtl_433/#'
  5. Now press the doorbell
  6. This will give you a nice JSON output:
    1. {
      "time": "2020-04-13 10:15:19",
      "model": "Microchip-HCS200",
      "id": "0FFFFFFF",
      "encrypted": "FFFFFFFF",
      "button1": "ON",
      "button2": "ON",
      "button3": "ON",
      "button4": "ON",
      "misc": "",