YooSee SD-M5 doorbell: 1080p, PoE, RTSP, Onvif, only $66

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
IPCTestTool - or at least the English-y version V01.00.00.62 - does not seem to be able find my device.
I've experienced that too, sometimes it wouldn't find it and other times it would. Try rebooting your PC and make sure IPCTestTool is the first program you run. Try connecting it to the same switch your PC is connected to if that's not already the case.

teymur88

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here just registered, but have gone through every page here and every post. Looks like this doorbell suits my needs (Poe, rtsp) but I have a few questions.. My main goal is to integrate this doorbell to my home automation system. So getting the rtsp feed and still image is easy, but how can I make the device to trigger a URL on motion and button pressed? I think I could implement these if I had a shell access to the device... Did anyone dig deeper into getting it done? Did anyone find if there is a web interface for configuration?

Regards

Teymur

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here just registered, but have gone through every page here and every post. Looks like this doorbell suits my needs (Poe, rtsp) but I have a few questions.. My main goal is to integrate this doorbell to my home automation system. So getting the rtsp feed and still image is easy, but how can I make the device to trigger a URL on motion and button pressed? I think I could implement these if I had a shell access to the device... Did anyone dig deeper into getting it done? Did anyone find if there is a web interface for configuration?

Regards

Teymur
You can get button pressed event via RF433. I use RFLink module for that. A doorbell has HCS301 chip on board (Keeloq protocol), so you can get it via RFlink without problem. About motion detection - despite a doorbell has ONVIF support, it doesn't triggered motion detection via ONVIF events, so you can't get it such way.

some information about hacking this device can be found here

analogue

n3wb
Reaction score
A few things I've found out about the doorbell after poking at it some more. Keep in mind, I don't use the mobile apps, don't let it access the internet, and make the most of it using opensource tools.
  • Plugging it into a network switch that supports POE (802.3af, 802.3at) will not power the doorbell. You have to use the POE injector shipped with the camera to get power to the thing over CAT5/6. Real close to that line of false advertising if you ask me!
  • The camera blocks (most likely, intentionally) RTSP over TCP by not including "TCP" in the list of supported protocols when clients attempt to negotiate the intial connection. The UDP stream is flaky/glitchy and prone to causing false motion detections downstream. The flakiness seems to disappear when using TCP. I also observed more occurrences of the fps going up to 15fps. This never happened with the UDP stream. In any case, I think it is blatent fraud to advertise the doorbell at 25fps when the reality is that it spends the majority of it's time at 5fps. See instructions below.

Here's how to wrangle an RTSP-over-TCP stream out of the thing using debian linux:

Bash:
$ sudo apt install netsed
# Normal flow:  RTSP client --> doorbell
# New flow:     RTSP client --> netsed --> doorbell
# 10.0.0.99 is the ip address of your doorbell.
# Use netsed to append TCP to supported protocols response from camera
$ netsed tcp 5541 10.0.0.99 554 's/AVP;/AVP%2FTCP;'
# Point your rtsp client to rtsp:/<server ip>:5541/onvif1   <-- double slash after rtsp
# Make sure you force TCP in your RTSP client (TinyCam Viewer on android, etc)
Kudos to stokie-ant for this clever hack I found while trying to figure out why Motion refused to work with the camera using RTSP-over-TCP.

Also, if you're playing around with live555-server as an rtsp-proxy, don't waste your time - the thing can't deal with flaky cameras (the doorbell appears to reboot every day +/- a couple of hours if you don't let it phone home).

Last edited:

Noppesnada

n3wb
Reaction score
Been using this doorbell for a few months.

Video is fine and the chime is just dandy.

But i cannot het the push notification working om my Moto G (or ipad). After a full reset, it works for a very short while and then just does not anymore. I gave up, but want to give it another try.

All settings on the phone and ipad are okay.

Anyone experiencing the same problems and perhaps a solution ?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Great thread...so funny how manufacturers are "so close but no bunny rabbit". And, this one seems soooo close.

cudos01

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone able to get tinycam pro working with this doorbell? I can get this doorbell to work with BI, but I am unable to get any picture with tinycam. Camera status shows connected with good frame rates, but dropped frames is at 100%. Any pointer is greatly appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone able to get tinycam pro working with this doorbell? I can get this doorbell to work with BI, but I am unable to get any picture with tinycam. Camera status shows connected with good frame rates, but dropped frames is at 100%. Any pointer is greatly appreciated.
@alexvas the tinycam developer should be able to help.

cudos01

n3wb
Reaction score
Seems like the developer updated the tinycam pro to work with this doorbell today. Not sure if it had to do anything with the above post, but that is one heck of a customer service if that is the case.

Reaction score
Hi, have been following this thread with interest. This camera looks great on paper, the only thing holding me back is this 'drop to 5fps' issue I see you guys discussing.
Whats the current status / hack / workaround if any?

cdoublejj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok so reading the entire thread.

hacking and modding in progress.
PASSIVE PoE, injector or converter often needed for more PoE switches
NO mechanical door bell support
5 FPS
Manual focus adjust needed.
modded sold exasperate USB chime needed to mod in door bell support?

DANG! almost worth it to get an arduino or PLC controller and set off an event to Blue Iris via a normal old fashioned door bell and kick off recording of quality ceiling mounted cameras. THAT or keep waiting that the firmware for the ring elite will get cracked wide ope for ONVIF support :-/ my wireless hikvision has the door bell chime buzzing when i hook it up now, where it was working fine before. OOOFFF!!! we almost need a big ass kick starter to mfg our own PoE door bell.

EDIT: anyone tried the blue iris work around for the wireless hikvision on this camera? i know my hikvision door bell was pushing 1 fps till someone here told me to hit a check box.

cudos01

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, have been following this thread with interest. This camera looks great on paper, the only thing holding me back is this 'drop to 5fps' issue I see you guys discussing.
Whats the current status / hack / workaround if any?
My camera stays steady at 15 FPS. I set it to 30 FPS in blue iris as someone suggested. Also I changed the discovery/onvif port to 8999.

Reaction score
My camera stays steady at 15 FPS. I set it to 30 FPS in blue iris as someone suggested. Also I changed the discovery/onvif port to 8999.
Hmm, interesting, are you on a specific firmware, or are you saying that changing to 30 FPS in blue iris and set the discovery/onvif port to 8999 then fixes the fps issue?

cudos01

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting, are you on a specific firmware, or are you saying that changing to 30 FPS in blue iris and set the discovery/onvif port to 8999 then fixes the fps issue?
My firmware is 13.1.1.36. I power my cam with the original doorbell wire because the power injector did not work. The signal runs through a cat5e cable to my switch. I am not sure if that makes any difference or I just lucked out and got a model that stays steady at 15fps.

Reaction score
My firmware is 13.1.1.36. I power my cam with the original doorbell wire because the power injector did not work. The signal runs through a cat5e cable to my switch. I am not sure if that makes any difference or I just lucked out and got a model that stays steady at 15fps.
Thanks for the info, I decided to take a punt and ordered one today.
Ill report here my findings once it arrives (coming from China, so wont be for about 1 month at least :()