YooSee SD-M5 doorbell: 1080p, PoE, RTSP, Onvif, only $66

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Now I'm kicking myself for not ordering it when I had the chance. Yes, I can still buy one now and get in the queue....
No need to get in queue if you really want one, it's still available (as in 'in stock') from YooSee directly...

Cinnman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just uploaded a new capture from the doorbell cam. Please note that it was down scaled to 720p due to upload limits. It is a composite of several different scenes showing morning with sun on camera, day/evening, and night. The only time it shifted to B&W was during a pretty significant rainstorm at night. The illumination is a single streetlight seen in the upper left corner of the image. If you listen, you will hear the sound the db makes when the button is pressed. It is a spring loaded actual button, but I suspect it just activates a momentary switch on the mainboard (again, it's almost a thousand miles away so I can't take it apart to check. It's been running continuously with no problems so far and a pretty decent video for a cheap cam.
I haven't yet ordered the relay/chime since I've been really busy with another project (tracking vehicle speed down street with cam---really interesting project on github by Claude Pageau---I've managed to get it working on a Raspberry pi 4 using a webcam interface, but haven't found the secret setting for capturing the video stream from the ip cam or for porting it over to a linux distro on a more powerful computer---any of you programming genius' out there want to help, let me know ). And I keep hoping SecuritySeeker or others will perfect a interface first for the doorbell project, of course :) to save me time and frustration :banghead:.

Yoosee Doorbell 2019 09 New captures

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No need to get in queue if you really want one, it's still available (as in 'in stock') from YooSee directly...
Well... based on the latest reply from Cinnman stating its an actual spring loaded button (regardless of how it functions (embedded to a circuit board or otherwise) and the quality of his videos... I decided to take a chance and order one. But... since I'll be breaking the unit open to hack it and adjust focus... and not knowing how the button it integrated, I wanted to limit my expense. Rather than ordering from Yousee... I spent an hour or so reading all the reviews on all the different vendors on eBay (all currently in China). I also took into account how many different items each seller has for sale at any one time (by clicking on see other items) . Although all sellers of the doorbell also seem to offer an assortment of sex toys... I limited my selection to the smaller stores. (the bigger stores seem to have more negative reviews from buyers stating they received the wrong item.) I also restricted my selection to sellers with "variations" of the SD-M5 whose description stated it requires the YouSee app. Anyway... in the end I selected one that also allowed me to "Make and Offer" but after several low ball attempts on my part... I discovered the seller would go below $60 for the standalone doorbell however he does offer free shipping. BTW...great communication from the seller... has sent me several messages both pre and post order .. including a tracking number with an estimated arrival in October (about 20 days but I'm not holding my breath... I won't believe it until I see it.) Will follow up once the shipment arrives.
193052391626 | eBay

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I picked one up this weekend too. But I wanted it in white so I went through YooSee. Picked up the chime too but hope to god I dont have to use it. Hoping there's a way to hack it into working with my existing chime. Also ordered a Ubiquiti passive POE adapter off Amazon.

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I picked one up this weekend too. But I wanted it in white so I went through YooSee. Picked up the chime too but hope to god I dont have to use it. Hoping there's a way to hack it into working with my existing chime. Also ordered a Ubiquiti passive POE adapter off Amazon.
Yep... ordering from Yousee was probably the only way to go because during all my eBay research I never saw any of the ebay sellers offering a color choice, all only advertised black. Since we both ordered over the weekend, and since both shipments will be coming from Shenzhen it will be interesting to see if the additional fees Yousee charges for postage and shipping results in you getting yours faster. I certainly hope so! I debated on buying from Yousee wondering if I would get my shipment faster than from an eBay seller offering free shipping. In an unscientific effort to see if I was actually paying for faster service... I started a "Guest Checkout" order with Yousee. During checkout, on the shipping method page I was offered two choices:

Trackable Air Mail 10-20 days for $16.00
DHL Shipping 4-10 days) for $23.00

Unfortunately Hongkong Posts (the mail service for Honk Kong and surrounding providences including Shenzhen) offers tracking numbers on all Air shipment out of China. Based on the dummy order I placed via Yousee I can't determine which Hongkong Post mail service I'd get for the $16 they charge. Technically Ebay sellers in China don't have to provide buyers with a tracking number but I've always got one with every China purchase I've made. Hongkong Post offers seven different 'air handling" services for the mailing of parcels to countries outside China. Each service offers a different delivery time frame at different price points. The faster the service the more it costs.

Speedpost Air (2-5 days)
e-Express Air (7-14 days)
iMail Air (4-24 days)
Registered Packet Air (4-24 days)
Parcel Air (6-28 days)
Ordinary Packet Air (4-24 days)
Ordinary Packet Surface Mail (2 -110 days)
Bulk Air (4-24 days)

The reason for the overlap in the delivery schedules is because each category has its own maximum weight limit ranging from anywhere from up to 2kg and from 2kg to 30kg. Anyway... even though my eBay seller said I should get in October (approx 28 day delivery window which would indicate it is probably being sent as a Parcel)... per the eBay order confirmation page" it says my Estimated delivery is: "Mon, Oct 28 - Mon, Dec 09". I cant answer why eBays delivery window estimate is so large, I can only "assume" eBay, to be on the safe side safe, and not knowing the final destination of where the item may be shipped to, defaults to Hongkong Post - Ordinary Packet Surface Mail ( 2-110 days) for shipments out of China.

NET: Am I over thinking this? No doubt! Anyway... (ideally) I would really like to think you (and other who purchased directly from Yousee) will get their shipment within 14 days of the order date, as opposed to buyers like me who opt to go with free shipments via eBay and hope they get their shipment before the item is obsolete :wtf:

kontech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I received 1080 back door bell today and wanted to share initial impressions.
iPhone iOS app installed fairly quick and I was able to add the door bell via wired connection option.
While the phone phone "rang" when I pushed the button on the device the 1st time it's working very inconsistently now. It makes the ding sound on the device and the button illuminates in blue by the phone remains silent. When tried on iPad with iOS13 it also works very temperamentally.
I can't seem to get it to work with Blue Iris. No matter what setting I try per the instructions: How to add 1080p smart doorbell to Blue Iris video security software?I don't get any video. I do get RTSP: 400 Bad Request error.
My BI version is 4.8.4.5 so it may be related to unsupported version of BI. When I run inspect I get the following results:
Opening 10.1.10.200 port 80...
HTTP Get / request...
Failed with HTTP 12029
Opening 10.1.10.200 port 8999...
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
HTTP 12029
Checking for common cameras...
Foscam FI86xx/98xx compatible?
Foscam FI89xx compatible?
Foscam FI9821 V2 compatible?
Foscam FI9821 media port compatible?
RTSP port open?
RTSP port detected!
Done

I'm running the most recent version of firmware: 13.1.1.34 on the door bell.
Oh, that app is riddled with spelling and grammatical errors, as if they used google translator. Talking about QA or lack thereof. I hope that doesn't apply to its reliability. My two cents.

MnM

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you setup the RTSP password in the app?
If you haven't you need to and then use the same password in BI. Maybe this is why you can not see video in BI.

kontech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you setup the RTSP password in the app?
If you haven't you need to and then use the same password in BI. Maybe this is why you can not see video in BI.
Yes, I've reset RTSP password a few times to no avail. My BI screen looks a bit different than on the instructions page though. Camera make defaults to Generic/ONVIF if that makes any difference.
2019-10-03_17-03-46.jpg 2019-10-03_17-03-46.jpg

MnM

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the same settings as you. No issues with BI at all. My BI version 5.0.4.5
Maybe you need to upgrade BI?

Fd80

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I've reset RTSP password a few times to no avail. My BI screen looks a bit different than on the instructions page though. Camera make defaults to Generic/ONVIF if that makes any difference.
View attachment 48452 View attachment 48452
I had similar issues when setting up with BI 4 too.

I got it going by doing the following:
Append :5000 to the host name - so yours will be 10.1.10.200:5000 (For the port number as requested)
Untick the "Skip initial HTTP DNS and reachability tests"
Just adding a Note this is only for Blue Iris 4 (In case someone with BI 5 tries to follow my instructions)

Fd80

n3wb
Reaction score
While the phone phone "rang" when I pushed the button on the device the 1st time it's working very inconsistently now. It makes the ding sound on the device and the button illuminates in blue by the phone remains silent. When tried on iPad with iOS13 it also works very temperamentally.
I found similar but found out that testing it too often maybe set off some throttling with their push servers? I believe I saw a setting somewhere in the app which does not send another push notification within 10 seconds.

kontech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had similar issues when setting up with BI 4 too.

I got it going by doing the following:
Append :5000 to the host name - so yours will be 10.1.10.200:5000 (For the port number as requested)
Untick the "Skip initial HTTP DNS and reachability tests"
Just adding a Note this is only for Blue Iris 4 (In case someone with BI 5 tries to follow my instructions)
Yes, I've tried these options to no avail.
I keep getting:

Opening 10.1.10.200 port 5000...
HTTP Get / request...
Failed with HTTP 12152

What is the version of you BI?
Is there any software available that allows to access camera via PC and test http stream?

Fd80

n3wb
Reaction score
I keep getting:

HTTP Get / request...
Failed with HTTP 12152

Is there any software available that allows to access camera via PC and test http stream?
I'm using Blue Iris 4.8.6.3 x64

When clicking on "Find/Inspect" I get the following with that 12152 error as well:

Opening 192.168.100.105 port 5000...
HTTP Get / request...
Failed with HTTP 12152
Opening 192.168.100.105 port 8999...
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
HTTP 12029
Checking for common cameras...
Foscam FI86xx/98xx compatible?
Foscam FI89xx compatible?
Foscam FI9821 V2 compatible?
Foscam FI9821 media port compatible?
RTSP port open?
RTSP port detected!
Done

I then add the /onvif1 to the Path section and then click on OK

Reaction score
Hello all. Finally traveled back to where the cam is and did a little more wiring. It has been up and running good for quite some time now. I now have it connected to a POE switch, although I did use an inline device from Ubiquity that steps voltage down from 48v to 24v just to be sure the smoke stays in. I'll post a couple picture .
I'm considering buying this doorbell and I was curious as to why you used your Ubiquity converter instead of the provided POE injector. I have a POE Hikvision NVR and if I wanted to use this doorbell, my first idea would be to use the injector in line, at the far end of the CAT-6 (next to the NVR). In my mind, the injector should stop the higher POE voltage from the NVR from passing through and replace the current in these two pairs with the proper voltage, right?

So...back to my first question: why the Ubiquity converter?

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So...back to my first question: why the Ubiquity converter?
Know you arent asking me, but I bought the Ubiquity converter too. The reason is because the YooSee POE injector plugs into a 120v wall power outlet then pushes the power down the Ethernet cable. Ubiquity converter takes the power from POE switch and steps it down so no need for a 120v wall outlet. The included POE injector doesn't work the way your thinking it does.

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I keep getting:

HTTP Get / request...
Failed with HTTP 12152

NOTE, I had everything setup right and I could get any video until I disabled all hardware acceleration for the cam.

kontech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
NOTE, I had everything setup right and I could get any video until I disabled all hardware acceleration for the cam.
That was it. Once hardware acceleration has been disabled video appeared in BI. No, need to append port number at the end of the URL. Thank you for the tip!

Colster

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Cinnman and others who have installed this unit.

Reading through this thread, I see that the video side is concluded as being reasonable. Is the voice side of this ok? And has anyone encountered any significant lag with voice and video transmission?

Looking to buy one of these subject to clarification of the above.

Thanks in advance.

johnnyletrois

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Mine arrived yesterday. Two weeks from eBay order to delivery in Washington. Not bad.

Setup was easy using the iOS app as was pairing with the usb powered chime. Haven’t played around too much but did get the RTSP stream working in VLC. Also connected fine to my QNAP NAS running QVR Pro using the generic onvif setting.

Haven’t been able to set it up as a generic IP camera in HomeAssistant yet because I don’t know the still image url. Will try to hunt that down when I have time.

What I really want to sniff out is the button press so I can trigger an automation in HomeAssistant. Maybe there’s a url endpoint. Otherwise I’ll try to tap into the chime or maybe I’ll get a 433mhz sniffer but I’d prefer not to.

Elton Noway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
According to the specs this doorbell does not follow 802.3 PoE standards. It's passive PoE only which is carried over the 2 unused pairs in a 100Mbit Ethernet connection. It will not negotiate PoE, it will just expect the PoE power to be there without negotiation. This will not work with a PoE switch that does 802.3af or 802.3at or 802.3bt. You need to be able to tell your switch to provide passive PoE with a suitable voltage (12-36V).

It's Onvif and offers an RTSP stream and it has been found to work with BlueIris and at least one other Onvif compatible program so chances are it will work with your NVR if that is Onvif too but the only way to be absolutely sure about compatibility is to try it out with your specific NVR.
Hmmm... as a newbie to the world of security systems and cameras I'm afraid I'm still confused over the "Passive POE comment and its inability to negotiate POE". My Lorex NVR (not a switch) provides 12VDC via the POE ports. At first I thought I was okay since the NVR output fell within the 12-36VDC voltage parameters of the SD-M5. However, after some additional reading managed to confuse myself. My concern is per Lorex camera compatibility charts for my specific NVR... it states it will support cameras: ONVIF profiles - S & T approved, 12V DC POE - PoE(802.3af)(class 0)

You stated this doorbell will not work with a PoE switch that does 802.3af . I'm not sure if that comment is in relation to power negotiation or a software profile requirement. At first I was thinking adding a Ubiquiti PoE Adapter ahead of the doorbell would address the issue of power negotiation but now I'm not so sure... or if this is even the correct adapter.
https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-Instant-802-3AF-Adapter/dp/B01N9MJL91/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.