YooSee SD-M5 doorbell: 1080p, PoE, RTSP, Onvif, only $66

megazone23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How will I be able to pair it with the doorbell ?
First, I don't have a Aeotec Siren 6 yet or Yoosee doorbell (I went with Amcrest AD110 which works with my NVR to record only when motion is detected, Yoosee doesn't send motion event for NVR)
I will probably get a Aeotec Siren/Doorbell 6 when the price is right.
It was my original guess when looking at both of them are using 433Mhz (all my 433Mhz devices work together).
The Aeotec chime pairs with additional button by tapping its button 3 times and then tapping the remote button to pair (similar to how to pair other 433Mzh devices)

However, upon looking closer, Aeotec Doorbell button is using 433.92Mhz FSK (it's on their website), while the frequency is common, I believe most cheap 433Mhz accessories are ASK (there are ASK/FSK transceivers, will try when I get the Aeotec)
I saw another post saying Yoosee button is 433.886Mhz, that's kinds strange or they tweak it a little bit so third party chime cannot be used?
BTW, neither Aeotec nor Yoosee invented their device, same devices are available at Aliexpress, so I was surprised the 433Mhz do not work together.

Last edited:

cdoublejj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i never had any good luck with that wifi crap. it usually powers off or after a year makes the doorbell ringer vibrate and buzz

Aus_fas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The door bell only records activity if the application is active in intelligent demo. Also the ringer on the phone only when the application is open. Otherwise only alarm or guest notification and no record in intelligent demon.
Any one having the same issue ?

rzr219

n3wb
Reaction score
Yup, just got mine today and same issue. Only if the app is open and running do I get anything. I unstalled it and reinstalled it same thing. I went into the settings and no matter what I change same issue. The more I check on this it sounds common. So now waiting for my extra license for my Synology and I will run it via the NAS instead. Kinda bites, I might try an older tablet and see if it works better with older software, who knows.

rzr219

n3wb
Reaction score
DAMN---fine call SecuritySeeker. Lens is threaded, but there is a set screw on side between the two mainboards but is a bit of a pain to get to. However image is already much easier on the eyes---almost in focus. I may need to play around with it a few times, but an amazing improvement. Either doesn't speak well for their QC (or maybe bounced around a LOT on the trip from China? Or maybe the ups man I saw tossing the package across the gate didn't help?). Anyway for those who might be inclined to point out, yes, I surely voided my warranty but not worth it cause I would never see spending $ to ship it back to China.
I don't have it set up outside now, so I can't update the capture. But thanks.
So I just turned mine less than 1/4 and its much much better. Played around and got it as good as a $66 door bell camera will work I think. Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
I have gotten the SD-M5 a couple of days ago and the installation of the app wasn't much of a problem. The camera runs well over the wired network connection and I can see live images in both the Android as IOS app. There are however a few things that I don't like and I was wondering if anyone has found ways to work around these niggles:
  • It sounds like a telephone when you press the ringer; I would like it to keep quiet (without cutting the wires to the speaker)
  • It won't show me any images in Milestone Xprotect Essential+ 2020, while it does work in ONVIF Device Manager v2.2.250. In Milestone it just keeps saying "No Video" or "Connected to server" on a black screen.
And it has the usual things like being out of focus, but that can be fixed thanks to this forum (still have to do it, though).

The Milestone problem is by far the largest, because I would like to keep using it. I have tried the Milestone universal driver and the one I have installed now, but both refuse to show any images. In the attachments, you can see the configuration. I have disabled all certificates on the server, the time on the server and in the camera differ maybe a minute, I have disabled Windows Firewall and there are no restrictions within the CCTV VLAN. Given that my Dahua camera's (and even my cheap, old LonRock camera's) work with Milestone, I would assume that the problem is with the doorbell.
I have given the SD-M5 a factory reset, I have setup RTSP several times and I am running firmware 13.1.1.36.

I have looked at this Milestone document describing that the camera driver requires Onvif 1.01 and 1.02 support from the camera. I can't figure that out, so if there is anyone who know I would like to hear it. And if it's not that: does anyone have any pointers where to look next?

Attachments

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not familiar with Milestone, however if you can manually add a camera, try using the RTSP stream instead. You can use VLC player to check to ensure you have the RTSP address correct, for example:
rtsp://login:password@CAMERA_IP:554/onvif1

Reaction score
My button keeps getting stuck in (maybe the postman pushes it a bit hard), I haven't taken it apart yet. Anyone else had this issue?

Last edited:

rzr219

n3wb
Reaction score
My button keeps getting stuck in (maybe the postman pushes it a bit hard), I haven't taken it apart yet. Anyone else had this issue?
Havent had that issue. I have taken it apart to focus the camera better.

Reaction score
Out of curiosity i bought one as well. Installation was flawless, but now i have a major problem. I think it has to do with the 2-way audio.
On both sides you get a high chirping noise. So before speaking , you need to mute the speaker and unmute the micro. After speaking you need to unmute the speaker and mute the micro, so the other one can speak.
Of course this is not what one expects from a doorbell :)
Does anyone have this problem as well?

Thanks

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Out of curiosity i bought one as well. Installation was flawless, but now i have a major problem. I think it has to do with the 2-way audio.
On both sides you get a high chirping noise. So before speaking , you need to mute the speaker and unmute the micro. After speaking you need to unmute the speaker and mute the micro, so the other one can speak.
Of course this is not what one expects from a doorbell :)
Does anyone have this problem as well?
No experience whatsoever with the audio part of this thing but that sounds like a feedback loop. What are you using to talk/listen at the other end and is audio there coming out of speakers or a headphone/earpiece?

Reaction score
At the other end I'm using a smartphone with the yoosee app. I have tried an iphone and a huawei...both having the same issues. The noise is at both ends.
I have tried to reinstall the app and update the firmware (currently at 13.1.1.36) but either didn't help.

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You're not using the phones in 'speaker' or 'hands free' mode? Actually you're not making a phone call but using the app so I guess it might very well be in speaker mode. It's easy to get audio feedback that way. Try lowering the volume of your phone or perhaps you can adjust the sensitivity of its microphone?

If you can lower the volume from the doorbell's speaker or its microphone that could help too. You basically need to make sure that the 'loop gain' is <1, otherwise you will get a high pitch feedback chirp.

Also just to check: you're not standing close to the doorbell with your phone?

Is there something in front of the doorbell that might be reflecting sound from its speaker back to its microphone?

Not sure what else to recommend but it has to be a feedback loop.

Reaction score
I think you're right...it has to be a feedback loop.
The app is using the smartphone speakers automatically...which looks to me normal as you want to see the video as well, isn't it?
I have done tests putting the doorbell in house and myself in the garden shed...still the same issue. Volume on the app is now 10% and on the phone i put it very low as well.

kiwilegal

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

I have installed this camera. I then downloaded the latest firmware. It captures video which I can see on the app. Motion detection works - sending a notification to my iPhone.

BUT the doorbell does not ring either on my iPhone nor with either of the Chime USB Keys sold me. The Keys will not pair - I have tried multiple times following the instructions in the manual. Line of site is 17m between Chime and Doorbell. The Chime Keys ring on their own when you press their buttons (so they work for that), but they will not pair with the doorbell.

In summary, I ran Ethernet cable (the camera is wired), installed the video doorbell, but I have no doorbell!!!! Which was the main reason for doing this job as my previous wireless doorbells had all failed.

When you press the doorbell, it rings like it is telephoning somewhere, but nobody gets any alert.

Anyone else meeting same problems? Have a solution?

Thanks

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is there an actual line of sight between doorbell and chimes, ie. can you actually see one from where the other is located? Just want to make sure because 17m with any walls (an certainly floors!) in between would probably be too much for the signal to get through, especially if they're reinforced concrete. The only way I see this working at 17m is in the open air with no obstructions whatsoever inbetween.

I would normally assume that you had tried pairing and testing the connection with the two devices much closer together already but since you mention the 17m explicitly, please do try that.

FWIW I have two of these doorbells and two chimes and I had no trouble pairing each doorbell with a chime.

What I have had one or two times was that indeed the USB chime would not ring when you press the doorbell even though the doorbell itself did make the ding dong sound. I was never able to reproduce that reliable, it normally just works.

Perhaps you can try holding the doorbell button a bit longer or pressing it a bit firmer? Strange as it may seem, it could be that the firmware's detection for the local sound vs sending a signal to the chime are different.

Actually there's one more thing to tell. When I put the USB chime inside our metering cupboard (which is only 2 meters from the doorbell) it would not work reliably or perhaps not at all (don't remember exactly). If I put it in the wall outlet in the hallway just outside the metering cupboard it did work. I found that rather strange, but it might be that there is a lot of interference on the AC power (coming from all the other stuff in the metering cupboard) which does not get filtered enough by the USB power supply, or maybe there's imply too much (radio) interference induced directly into the chime itself.

Short story, try moving it to another wall socket and also perhaps try using a different USB power supply, there's a big difference between those and some will deliver virtually clean 5V DC whereas other will show all sorts of ripples and spikes and provide very noisy 5V DC (possibly also depending on how clean the input voltage is) which may very well interfere with the chime's operation. Check out this site to find a good one:

Last edited:

kiwilegal

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there an actual line of sight between doorbell and chimes, ie. can you actually see one from where the other is located? Just want to make sure because 17m with any walls (an certainly floors!) in between would probably be too much for the signal to get through, especially if they're reinforced concrete. The only way I see this working at 17m is in the open door with no obstructions whatsoever inbetween.

I would normally assume that you had tried pairing and testing the connection with the two devices much closer together already but since you mention the 17m explicitly, please do try that.

FWIW I have two of these doorbells and two chimes and I had no trouble pairing each doorbell with a chime.

What I have had one or two times was that indeed the USB chime would not ring when you press the doorbell even though the doorbell itself did make the ding dong sound. I was never able to reproduce that reliable, it normally just works.

Perhaps you can try holding the doorbell button a bit longer or pressing it a bit firmer? Strange as it may seem, it could be that the firmware's detection for the local sound vs sending a signal to the chime are different.

Actually there's one more thing to tell. When I put the USB chime inside our metering cupboard (which is only 2 meters from the doorbell) it would not work reliable or perhaps not at all (don't remember exactly). If I put it in the wall outlet in the hallway just outside the metering cupboard it did work. I found that rather strange, but it might be that there is a lot of interference on the AC power (coming from all the other stuff in the metering cupboard) which does not get filtered enough by the USB power supply, or maybe there's imply too much (radio) interference induced directly into the chime itself.

Short story, try moving it to another wall socket and also perhaps try using a different USB power supply, there's a big difference between those and some will deliver virtually clean 5V DC whereas other will show all sorts of ripples and spikes and provide very noisy 5V DC (possibly also depending on how clean the input voltage is) which may very well interfere with the chime's operation. Check out this site to find a good one:

Hi there

Thanks for this. I took my MacBook with the Chime Keys plugged in and managed to set them up next to the doorbell. When I plugged them in, they worked on and off. A bit like you described in the cupboard. I am as close as I can get, so this is as good as it gets, it seems.

How does one make the doorbell ring your iPhone? Has anyone worked that out? It seems to be an obvious way to palliate the vagaries of the chimes and would also allow you to respond to someone who rings the doorbell while you are out....

Many thanks again.

Reaction score
Not familiar with Milestone, however if you can manually add a camera, try using the RTSP stream instead. You can use VLC player to check to ensure you have the RTSP address correct, for example:
rtsp:/login:password@CAMERA_IP:554/onvif1
The camera works with VLC and Onvif Device Manager. I get a video stream within a few seconds.

I am guessing it is a driver issue with the MileStone Onvif driver. After about 7 seconds, the server (192.168.2.25) sends a "teardown request" to the camera(192.168.2.45). The reasen given is "FailedDescribe(401)". 401 indicates an authentication issue, which is weird because the describe, setup and play commands are send by the server and received by the camera succesfully.
1592646653709.png

Not much I can do but start looking for a new NVR or some new software, I'm afraid.

brommetje

n3wb
Reaction score
SoundPromptOpt = 1 MicInVolume = 62 LoudSpeakerVolume = 115 OpenLockTime_ms = 2500 fang_chai_support = 1 Door_Bell_Send_Counter = 2 DrBlLedPrompt = 15 net_time_sync = 1 misc_config0 = 1207959859 misc_config1 = 2147549508 8188_Support_Voicelink_In_Ap = 1 Ap_Mode_Support = 1 Door_Bell_Support = 1 gpio_ctrl_support = 1 PreRecordSupport = 1 KeyAoVolLeve = 2 md_level = 5 Set_MD_Level_Support = 1 user_sel_clearOpt = 4 RemotlySetNetwork = 1 DBWaitSoundEnable = 1 AlarmPathPushSuppport = 1 Change_Wifi_Mode_Key_Disable = 1 ircut_with_adc_support = 1 adc_setting_val= 100060 DonotDetectOpenLockButton = 1 RtspAuthentication = 1 RtspUseNewMethodForPwd = 1
is there a way to change some options? what happens if you can change DBWaitSoundEnable = 0 maybe that terrible telephoning sound is gone if you push the bell/button?
running fw 13.1.1.36

Last edited: