$69 motorized varifocal 4x (2.8mm-12mm) Longse

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Actually you can ignore ISO+, it's no longer available in new UI. Perhaps they enabled it by default and deleted the setting.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what I've got set wrong, both cams (I bought 2 of the varifocals) have the green pixels and ghosting. I have tried VBR & CBR, they are 15fps, 8192 bit rate, tried i-frame at 1 & 2, noise reduction 0, wdr off, Blue Iris receive buffer at 20mb, direct-to-disc. I tried hardware decoding but the image looks bad so I had to turn that off. Your suggestions are welcome.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what I've got set wrong, both cams (I bought 2 of the varifocals) have the green pixels and ghosting. I have tried VBR & CBR, they are 15fps, 8192 bit rate, tried i-frame at 1 & 2, noise reduction 0, wdr off, Blue Iris receive buffer at 20mb, direct-to-disc. I tried hardware decoding but the image looks bad so I had to turn that off. Your suggestions are welcome.
Try setting your "Profile" to "Baseline".

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Are you getting this result in both BI and web interface?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I tried changing to Baseline, we'll see how it goes. These recordings are in BI, I haven't tried recording anything from the web interface yet . I guess with i-frame settings generally lower is better, such as 1s?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
well, does the picture look good in the UI when looking at live view. I have no issues either with recording or live view using NVR.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
It looks ok in live view from either BI or web (well clarity compared to my other cams is another issue). It looks to be specific to BI. I tried recording from the CMS program I downloaded from Herospeed and it records ok, no green pixelization at the start. When I trigger in BI I get the green pixels at the start that clear up after 4 or 5 seconds. These tests are with no movement. Changing profile to Baseline didn't help. At this point I'm considering doing a factory reset on one of these and changing things one at a time until I can see what is causing it. I may be mistaken but I don't think they were doing this when I first installed, could be wrong. The colors sucked on the default settings so I started changing things, color looks better but now this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does this camera have "presets" @klasipca (where -- for example -- one is able to program the camera to zoom to 12mm when a specific preset is executed)?

Last edited by a moderator:

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
OK, for anyone who might run into the same problem of green pixelization/ghosting in Blue Iris with this varifocal, I solved my issues by deleting and re-adding the cameras in BI. That's not much of an explanation of what was happening or the cause but it fixed the problem. I assume you other guys are using this cam with a NVR? One comment on the camera so far, I can't say I'm thrilled by the clarity, or lack of, but from comments I've seen in the forum it sounds like a varifocal camera is just not going to be as sharp as a fixed lens camera. If so, then the fact of it being less sharp is because it is a variable focus camera and no fault of this specific cam. It does look like the night time performance is going to be better than my 4mp Hikvisions which is something I was hoping for.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, for anyone who might run into the same problem of green pixelization/ghosting in Blue Iris with this varifocal, I solved my issues by deleting and re-adding the cameras in BI. That's not much of an explanation of what was happening or the cause but it fixed the problem. I assume you other guys are using this cam with a NVR? One comment on the camera so far, I can't say I'm thrilled by the clarity, or lack of, but from comments I've seen in the forum it sounds like a varifocal camera is just not going to be as sharp as a fixed lens camera. If so, then the fact of it being less sharp is because it is a variable focus camera and no fault of this specific cam. It does look like the night time performance is going to be better than my 4mp Hikvisions which is something I was hoping for.
Please post some snapshots and some video!

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
At full wide it may be a little less sharp in the center but not enough to be bothered. The cam has very sharp image otherwise. Even better then Huisun while both have the same sensor

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Well now both Longse's are losing signal. I had bought a second TP Link POE switch for these cams and thought maybe that was the problem but I swapped cables with other working cams on my other TP Link and the Longse's still drop every few hours so it's either something with the cams or 2 bad cables, so I have more troubleshooting to do on that issue. The green pixelization started again and I noticed Blue Iris had changed the frame rate to 30 fps on both cams. I have them set to 15 fps in the cams so I corrected BI and it stop the pixelization but I have a feeling BI will change them again. Anyway here are a couple of clips of typical video I am getting for whoever is interested. I still need to work on where they are aimed and what I want to capture.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like BI isn't behaving... I highly doubt you would get two cams with the same issue, but if that's the case perhaps time to buy a lottery ticket :)

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like BI isn't behaving... I highly doubt you would get two cams with the same issue, but if that's the case perhaps time to buy a lottery ticket :)
It's not just BI. When the signal drops the IPSearcher doesn't see the cameras either. When I figure it out I'll let you know. A question - do you use auto focus or manual? I have mine on auto focus and they seems confused about what to focus on. Maybe a tighter view would help with that.

KhMeRA

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris had changed the frame rate to 30 fps on both cams. I have them set to 15 fps in the cams so I corrected BI and it stop the pixelization but I have a feeling BI will change them again.
You cannot adjust the frame rate in blue iris...blue iris auto adjusts the frame rate based on the frames coming in...this is normal and the intended function..it is explained in the release notes. Any pixelation is related to iframe intervals...play with the option and see what works best. Also increase the receive buffer to 20mb.