AliExpress - Who are people using?

Reaction score
Hum, would love it if someone would actually provide sources rather than just anecdote. Also, I forgot to mention that the US suppliers I've seen may have one or two models but not nearly the lineup that you can get from Ail, et al.
To that point: nellyssecurity.com (which I have seen people talk about) mostly only has 4mm cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hum, would love it if someone would actually provide sources rather than just anecdote. Also, I forgot to mention that the US suppliers I've seen may have one or two models but not nearly the lineup that you can get from Ail, et al.
If you read the forum you will understand why the suppliers are not mentioned by name. Yes there are some cameras that are not available but they have most of them.

Reaction score
If you read the forum you will understand why the suppliers are not mentioned by name. Yes there are some cameras that are not available but they have most of them.
'Cause it's really helpful to have suppliers that you cannot actually find/use.

My point is that there is nothing wrong with going to Ali, I've ordered 4 cameras from Ali without issue. I searched around and ordered from a seller that had a good rep here and elsewhere. I'm not worried about firmware upgrades, the camera models that I'm getting a mature enough that I'm not worried about needing to upgrade to solve an issue. With newer models I might be a little more hesitant to get them right-away, or monitor forums to see if there are issues people are having, in case there are bugs. But other than that, I don't think that there is a reason to worry about not being able to upgrade the firmware, it's a silly point actually.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

My point is that there is nothing wrong with going to Ali, I've ordered 4 cameras from Ali without issue. I searched around and ordered from a seller that had a good rep here and elsewhere. I'm not worried about firmware upgrades, the camera models that I'm getting a mature enough that I'm not worried about needing to upgrade to solve an issue. With newer models I might be a little more hesitant to get them right-away, or monitor forums to see if there are issues people are having, in case there are bugs. But other than that, I don't think that there is a reason to worry about not being able to upgrade the firmware, it's a silly point actually.
You can find them if you spend more than two minuets on the board. Look, everyone here has ordered from ali - myself included and I still do for specific cameras. At one point there was a very significant difference in price. That is not the case anymore particularly for the 4mp's. Many of us who run third party vms dont care about firmware updates. However, if you are running nvr's there can be compatibility issues. If you port forward instead of using vpn you will not be able to patch a security vulnerability. There are lots of threads where folks spend days trying to resolve their issues with the china cams...some folks would rather be able to update firmware and have a 3 year warranty for a few bux more. Sometimes the price is the same..for example, the 2432 indoor cube can be had for 120.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The thought is that suppliers mentioned on here as good sources tend to get targeted by Hikvision and shut down.

Reaction score
The thought is that suppliers mentioned on here as good sources tend to get targeted by Hikvision and shut down.
A supplier you can't know about, can't order from, can't find, is not a "good source." I get the motive behind the secrecy. I was just disputing the assertion that there are good - as in comparable price, selection, ease of ordering - US based alternatives.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A supplier you can't know about, can't order from, can't find, is not a "good source." I get the motive behind the secrecy. I was just disputing the assertion that there are good - as in comparable price, selection, ease of ordering - US based alternatives.
Its not a secret. READ THE FORUM! If you choose not to, fine. The savings are sometimes not existent or minimal. The supplier also has 2mp version of the cameras that are BETTER in low light and can be had for only 15 dollars over the 3mp...for someone like me that runs most 3mp hikvisions in 2mp mode (to get a wider horizontal fov), its a no brainer. Again, for the 4mp cameras the are CHEAPER than ali.

Reaction score
Its not a secret. READ THE FORUM! If you choose not to, fine.
I have. As I said, I know about nellys: price is not comparable and only has 4mm in the camera models I'm interested in. Milkisbad: who are they? do they have a storefront somewhere? Price list? What hoops exactly would I have to jump through to order from them... and never mind the warranty/what am I getting issue. There was one other that I've seen mentioned, which I can't recall the name of... anyway their prices were outrageous.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have. As I said, I know about nellys: price is not comparable and only has 4mm in the camera models I'm interested in. Milkisbad: who are they? do they have a storefront somewhere? Price list? What hoops exactly would I have to jump through to order from them... and never mind the warranty/what am I getting issue. There was one other that I've seen mentioned, which I can't recall the name of... anyway their prices were outrageous.
So basically you didnt bother pming the seller to get that information. If you would you would have all your answers. There is never a question of what you are getting. With ali, there always is. With ali there is never a warranty. Look I get that you are happy with ali..but for most folks a US region camera with warranty is the way to go, particularly when price difference is non existent or low. What model cameras did you buy from ali?

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I also don't mind ordering from Ali. The cameras I get are fine. You set them once and forget it. Hardly do I ever need to go into it and update the firmware and I've also never had one fail. My order count to date is 48 cameras. I did have one issue this past order, but issue was certified without incident.

Here in Toronto, I only have two suppliers local and they charge starting 220$ for a 2cd2132 while ali costs me 110$...hardly a small fraxrion... I'm willing to chance it with ali especially that I get 2 cameras for the cost of 1 local

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I also don't mind ordering from Ali. The cameras I get are fine. You set them once and forget it. Hardly do I ever need to go into it and update the firmware and I've also never had one fail. My order count to date is 48 cameras. I did have one issue this past order, but issue was certified without incident.

Here in Toronto, I only have two suppliers local and they charge starting 220$ for a 2cd2132 while ali costs me 110$...hardly a small fraxrion... I'm willing to chance it with ali especially that I get 2 cameras for the cost of 1 local

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
Non US residents are a different story..

Sent via Taptalk

Reaction score
So basically you didnt bother pming the seller to get that information. If you would you would have all your answers. There is never a question of what you are getting. With ali, there always is. With ali there is never a warranty. Look I get that you are happy with ali..but for most folks a US region camera with warranty is the way to go, particularly when price difference is non existent or low. What model cameras did you buy from ali?

I did, haven't heard back yet (though to be fair it has not been that long since I asked).

Oh, the other one I heard about was Wrightwood... but they just sell the hacked Chinese cameras, so same issue with firmware (not that I care, but their prices are steeper than Ali).

All 3mp

x1 - DS-2CD2032-I (4mm this was an Amazon buy)

x3 - DS-2CD2332-I (x2 4mm, x2 2.8mm)

x1 - DS-2CD2532F-IS (2,8mm - this is a neat camera)

All connected to BlueIris.

bucko

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I live in China and buy a LOT of electrical products usually by going directly to Shenzhen. I build smart homes over here. I have used Aliexpress as well, mostly for other household products such as imported foods and home building materials.

The venders on Aliexpress (as well as most others in China) operate with impunity since China law does nothing to protect the consumer. Aliexpress itself has gotten better, but it still does a very poor job screening it's venders. It is really up to the vender alone to operate in a trusting manner and/or provide any buyer a level of service. They can even buy star ratings from Aliexpress so this is of little value for rating a vender. But because Aliexpress is now wanting to move into the USA, they are trying to clean up their act with their business practices. That being said, you should be VERY cautious of whom you deal with there or most any other seller in China. EVERYTHING is copied over here and packaging and products are EXACT replicas of the original right down to the hologram seals and bar codes. I have seen many businesses in Shenzhen that sell sheets of hologram stickers for sale to these copy factories! China laws and enforcement of the few laws they have, are but non existent. The very cheap prices for products are not because you are buying direct from China, but in most cases because they are not genuine. This may be the reason HIK no longer allows it's products on there.

You can walk into a major Apple store here that is nothing but a complete exact copy of an original Apple store, and they are selling all fake products. If Apple cannot stop it....who can? I just returned from a trip to the US just to buy beanies as the quality here is suspect and I cannot afford to install a security system with bad wire connectors. I have the luxury to actually visit the factory in China directly before I make any buying decision on electronics. But once I do that, I can get good quality AND cheap prices with direct customer support thrown in.

Yes there are honest people here. But that equates to about 1 in 10. I'm just saying "Caveat Emptor".

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@rocketboy001 I believe you have totally missed the point that myself and even @fenderman were trying to make... The time you have spent being combative and talking about this "secret camera society" you think exists you could have located 2 or 3 US suppliers that you may order directly from and receive 2 or 3 year warranties from as well for only $25 - $50 more per camera.

The way the all might "H" works is they sign private label agreements with distributors. These distributors are not allowed to sell there cameras as "H" brand. However, 2 minutes of research will tell you who makes them - as soon as you receive them and connect them you instantly know based on the firmware and interface who the manufacture is.

Alli works great for some - others prefer to purchase from a US seller with a solid reputation and warranty. If you would spend 10 min and read a few of these boards you would 1. figure out where to purchase these cameras. 2. understand why no one just blankly lists manufactures unless reviewing a specific camera/model. 3. wouldn't be such an ass to those here actually trying to help the community.

Best of luck receiving help in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Ali is like Ebay if you shop carelessly and after "too good to be true" deals then you'll be in for a surprise. I've shopped at Ali for the past 4 years with over 200 orders and never been scammed. Broken, defective stuff... yes, but in all cases disputed to my satisfaction... 15 years on ebay and scammed at least 5 times. If I can get stuff cheaper at Ali, why not? There really no wrong or right place where to buy stuff. Personally, I don't really care much about warranty or support for IP cameras as long as they are from a well known brand that provides firmware fixes. They don't break as often (actually never in my case) as dishwasher which I've been having a bad luck, warranty runs out and it breaks! I am now getting extended warranty on those.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For price, it depends on what you consider "comparable". If you're talking within $5 of Chinese prices, that's not going to happen. Most USA sellers buy from China (at the same price you'd pay on Ali) and then resell it for a profit while providing their own support and sometimes their own warranty. They're not going to go to that much trouble and risk to make $5. Some will for a $30 profit, though. To determine if it's worth $30 (or more) extra will vary heavily from person to person based on a number of factors, including: Familiarity with IP Cameras (ie. Are you good at programming IP devices or will you probably need to get assistance from someone that speaks clear English), how reliable is the Ali seller, how quickly do you need the item, how much of a gambler are you (ie. are you willing to risk losing $80 if the seller sends you a brick or would you rather spend the extra $30 or $40 bucks to have the legal option of filing a lawsuit against the seller if they send you a brick), are you looking for a standard/popular configuration (such as 4mm lens) or are you looking for something non-standard (like 12mm lens).

Point is, there's no "one size fits all"...If you don't know anything about IP cams or IP technology, then that's a point toward paying the extra to get support from a U.S. seller; if you are knowledgeable with IP devices, then that's a point toward saving money at Ali....If you want legal assurance that you're getting what you pay for, go with a U.S. seller; but if you trust your Chinese seller and/or would rather save money and take the gamble, then that's a point for Ali....If you want the camera within a few days, that's a point for fast domestic U.S. shipping; If you don't mind waiting several weeks, up to over a month, then that's a point for Ali.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For price, it depends on what you consider "comparable". If you're talking within $5 of Chinese prices, that's not going to happen. Most USA sellers buy from China (at the same price you'd pay on Ali) and then resell it for a profit while providing their own support and sometimes their own warranty. They're not going to go to that much trouble and risk to make $5. Some will for a $30 profit, though. To determine if it's worth $30 (or more) extra will vary heavily from person to person based on a number of factors, including: Familiarity with IP Cameras (ie. Are you good at programming IP devices or will you probably need to get assistance from someone that speaks clear English), how reliable is the Ali seller, how quickly do you need the item, how much of a gambler are you (ie. are you willing to risk losing $80 if the seller sends you a brick or would you rather spend the extra $30 or $40 bucks to have the legal option of filing a lawsuit against the seller if they send you a brick), are you looking for a standard/popular configuration (such as 4mm lens) or are you looking for something non-standard (like 12mm lens).

Point is, there's no "one size fits all"...If you don't know anything about IP cams or IP technology, then that's a point toward paying the extra to get support from a U.S. seller; if you are knowledgeable with IP devices, then that's a point toward saving money at Ali....If you want legal assurance that you're getting what you pay for, go with a U.S. seller; but if you trust your Chinese seller and/or would rather save money and take the gamble, then that's a point for Ali....If you want the camera within a few days, that's a point for fast domestic U.S. shipping; If you don't mind waiting several weeks, up to over a month, then that's a point for Ali.
To clarify, the US sellers we are discussing here sell US region fully upgradable cameras not China cams...amazon sellers selling china cameras are not worth the extra 30 dollars...you are just paying for express shipping and easy returns..you may as well buy a US region camera for those prices..

Reaction score
@rocketboy001 I believe you have totally missed the point that myself and even @fenderman were trying to make... The time you have spent being combative and talking about this "secret camera society" you think exists you could have located 2 or 3 US suppliers that you may order directly from and receive 2 or 3 year warranties from as well for only $25 - $50 more per camera.

The way the all might "H" works is they sign private label agreements with distributors. These distributors are not allowed to sell there cameras as "H" brand. However, 2 minutes of research will tell you who makes them - as soon as you receive them and connect them you instantly know based on the firmware and interface who the manufacture is.

Alli works great for some - others prefer to purchase from a US seller with a solid reputation and warranty. If you would spend 10 min and read a few of these boards you would 1. figure out where to purchase these cameras. 2. understand why no one just blankly lists manufactures unless reviewing a specific camera/model. 3. wouldn't be such an ass to those here actually trying to help the community.

Best of luck receiving help in the future.
Best of luck going through like not being able to stomach when people mildly disagree with you.

Reaction score

"Point is, there's no "one size fits all"..."

Which is basically what I was pointing out in the first place... Perhaps it was lost in translation.

ibfragalot

n3wb
Reaction score
RECOMMENDED: Joanna's new store. I ordered a DS-2CD2142FWD-IS 4MP from Joanna yesterday. What a refreshing level of service, communication, and SPEED! She responded almost immediately upon ordering yesterday to advise she'd ship today, and she did. Tracking number is valid with the right location, and the item is on the way. This is how it should be.

NOT RECOMMENDED! WARNING!
The previous seller I tried to buy one of these off, MARVIO TECHNOLOGY was a TOTAL NIGHTMARE!!! DO NOT BUY!!! Told me he had stock, so I ordered, then he advised he didn't and proceeded to push me to buy an inferior unit or pay more money. Totally refused and ignored my requests to cancel the order. I was sure I'd lost the $250, but eventually after 3 weeks of negotiation I got my money back via his dodgy "refund via ship" method all so he could avoid getting penalized for a cancelled transaction! Total joke. When presenting AliExpress Support with evidence (to 3 separate operators) this guy had A) No product to sell but refused to cancel the order B) Was pushing me to take a different product or send more money offline, C) giving fake DHL numbers and D) Circumventing their system and generally being a bad seller, what did they do? They supported him, all the way! Offered excuses for his behavior and did ZERO to assist, all the time talking up how everything was absolutely fine and my money was safe and it was wonderful. Bulls***! Unbelieveable... I can't believe I actually went ahead with another sale following that nightmare, but thankfully Joanna seems like the real deal and has restored my faith in this marketplace.

Last edited by a moderator: