Another Newb with Questions..

Deetz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I am from SA and have been lurking around this forum for about a month or so since I bought my 1st IPCamera. Now as most people do, I bought my 1st camera without doing much research and ended up buying a EZViz C3W wifi security cam. I was impressed with the little cam until I started getting millions of motion triggers, I tried everything on sensitivity to setting very specific motion zones but nothing really worked.

The initial idea was to get a Camera that will send notifications to my device if motion is detected, it was either this or the alternative option to buy and install a dedicated security alarm system on my premises, but the cost for the alarm system was ridiculous so I ended up getting the 1 wifi cam, and this is where it started.
I started reading up a bit and also asked around on a local forum, following the information I got from that I now knew that I the EZViz cam will never work as they only allow their own proprietary software so will never be able to run it in BI. So I needed new Cams...

Based on that I ordered 2 x PoE cams (RLC-410) as they where on special at the time plus with free shipping. (..yup, ive noticed peeps here on this forum do not like Reolinks, but so far it works and has been working well too)
I then got the PoE Switch, a few UV shielded network cables, Junction boxes, trunking and everything else needed for the install.
Installed both cams and initialed them both on the Reolink software app. I managed to get them added into BI without much issues, but it seems that I am stuck now with the next steps. I've been using a couple of videos on YT, but these vids are very outdated and seem to discuss options that are no longer used. So im finding it difficult to get the info I need.

My objective here is:
- Accurate Object detection
Have Accurate Object detection from BI
(Ive read that AITool is what Im need to look into, but cant find any up to date tutorials?)

- Trigger Record
Need to record 15 seconds prior to and during a trigger event
(I Tried setting this up in BI, but only recorded 1 clip and could not get it to work again?)

- Trigger Alerts

Would like to have triggers sent to Telegram or HASS.IO or both, where do I start
(I have not even attempted the telegram part, I have literally just finished my 1st ever installation of HASS.IO on my 1st ever Virtual machine)

Can anyone please share the most recent tutorials that they might have to get the above requirements going? I am in no way experienced with these kinds of things, so I am learning as Im going.

Thanks!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You may, over a long period of experimentation, be able to get the Reolink cameras to sort of work. It does take time to adjust motion detection to suit each different location, and they're all different. The problem with Reolink is that they vary the bit rate, frame rate and iframe rates constantly. Accurate motion detection depends on having consistent and matching frame and iframe rates so you're behind the eight ball with them at best.

If you think they work well, try recording motion at night. I think you'll find it is blurred and not very good at all.

Deetz

n3wb
Reaction score
You may, over a long period of experimentation, be able to get the Reolink cameras to sort of work. It does take time to adjust motion detection to suit each different location, and they're all different. The problem with Reolink is that they vary the bit rate, frame rate and iframe rates constantly. Accurate motion detection depends on having consistent and matching frame and iframe rates so you're behind the eight ball with them at best.

If you think they work well, try recording motion at night. I think you'll find it is blurred and not very good at all.
noted, thanks. as mentioned Im well aware of the reputations here on IPcamtalk regarding the Reolinks. Unfortunately by the time I bought those cams I was none wiser yet. With the money already spent (Twice... once on EZViz and again on reolinks) I now have to make due with what I have until I can purchase more cams.

So what would be the better Camera to replace a Reolink RLC-410 with?

Please send any tutorials if you have any?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5442 series from Dahua or the Hikvision Darkfighter series are the kings of the hill at the moment. 4MP with 1/1.8" sensors and do very well at night. There are less expensive alternatives. I'm pretty hapy with a couple of Dahua 3241T-ZAS, 2MP varifocals. There are tons of reviews hers on IPCT of many cameras besides those. There are also tutorials for setting up Blue Iris that include motion detection. Look in the Wiki in the blue bar at the top of the page.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
Read study plan before spending money

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Read Study Plan before spending money
Cameras are for surveillance to get information for after the fact.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) Start with a good variable focus camera, so you test for the correct lens,lighting, camera placement.
4) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
5) Do not use wifi cameras.
6) Do not use cloud storage
7) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
8) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
9) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
10) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
11) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
12) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
13) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
14) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
15) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
16) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
17) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
18) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
19) Camera lens size, a bigger number give more range but less field of view. Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?
20) verify your camera placement, have a friend wearing a hoodie, ball cap and sunglasses looking down approach the house, can you identify them at night ?
21) DO NOT UPGRADE your NVR or camera firmware unless you absolutely have a problem that needs to be fixed and known what you are doing, if you do you will turn it into a brick !!

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442t-ZE .... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 2.7 mm-12mm 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+ -- variable 2.7mm-12mm bullet
IPC-B5442E-Z4E .... bullet 8mm-32mm variable focus zoom 4MP
IPC-HFW7442H-Z ..... Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera -- 4 MP variable focus AI

IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS Ver 2, 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
IPC-T3241-ZAS ...... Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal -- 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal
IPC-HFW2831T-ZS ... Review-Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera -- 8MP Bullet 1/1.8” sensor variable focus.
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry
IPC-T2347G-LU....... Review-Loryta OEM 4MP IPC-T2347G-LU ColorVu Fixed Turret Network 4mm lens & Junction Box -- 4MP ColorVu
.................... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera.
SD49225XA-HNR ...... Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus -- 2mp startlight AI

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera
IPC-K42A

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Do it right the first time saves money over having to do it twice.
Test do not guess

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tommyt79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Seems like Hikvision has support issues unless you buy from them (no Amazon, Ebay, etc.) Can anyone recommend vendors to buy Hikvision cameras that are supported?

I'm converting from analog to POE. All hardware, but the cameras are in place. I need one that has excellent night video @ about 50 feet. Driveway will be covered with another camera. Would like a closer picture of the road. Not looking for license plates, but would like to be able to ID a vehicle model.

Grabbed a picture from Blue Iris and uploaded to show the area I want to cover.

Vendors and camera options would be great and I appreciate the help.

Thanks and be safe.

Attachments

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Seems like Hikvision has support issues unless you buy from them (no Amazon, Ebay, etc.) Can anyone recommend vendors to buy Hikvision cameras that are supported?

I'm converting from analog to POE. All hardware, but the cameras are in place. I need one that has excellent night video @ about 50 feet. Driveway will be covered with another camera. Would like a closer picture of the road. Not looking for license plates, but would like to be able to ID a vehicle model.

Thanks and be safe.
FYI -

Dahua OEM: many of us went with Dahua instead of Hikvision as we found a good vendor for Dahua OEM cameras ( EmpireTecAndy ).

Other vendors with a relationship with the forum are Nelly's Security ( used to have Hikvision ) and Amcrest ( Dahua ).

Do check out the vendor section in the form.

Tommyt79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
FYI -

Dahua OEM: many of us went with Dahua instead of Hikvision as we found a good vendor for Dahua OEM cameras ( EmpireTecAndy ).

Other vendors with a relationship with the forum are Nelly's Security ( used to have Hikvision ) and Amcrest ( Dahua ).

Do check out the vendor section in the form.
Thanks for the info... Have not had good luck with Amcrest and Hikvision sales provided ONE vendor in the US ---- B&H Photo. Will check out out the vendor area.

Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Seems like Hikvision has support issues unless you buy from them
Exactly what kind of support have you attempted and not gotten? Over the past two years I have purchased and installed 21 Dahua cams at my home and not ever asked for support from the manufacturer. Any questions I have had I either have found on an internet search or posed a question in this forum to solve it.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Thanks and be safe.
not sure about Hik, but purchased an EZVIZ through B&H Photo, and while requesting support (password issue), representative told me they are not authorized to sell their products. Even thou, B&H is listed in the web. Better go with Andy

Tommyt79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Exactly what kind of support have you attempted and not gotten? Over the past two years I have purchased and installed 21 Dahua cams at my home and not ever asked for support from the manufacturer. Any questions I have had I either have found on an internet search or posed a question in this forum to solve it.
Just last week, I sent an email to Hikvision asking for a list of vendors that I could purchase cameras from that they would provide support. The only vendor provided was B&H Photo. So if you buy one from Amazon, they will not provide support. In most cases, I never need vendor help unless I have a hardware issue. So warranty issues are what I was looking for. I should have explained that better.

I've had cameras up for about 17 years now and recently retired my Hikvision DVR and analog cameras. My DVR could handle analog and POE cameras. So for years, I had a mix. For the last 2 years, I've used Blue Iris to manage my cameras and the DVR was collecting dust. I tried some Dahua cameras (IPC-HDW4631C-A.) High quality build with all metal case and a super daytime picture, but the IR coverage is poor. Got 6 of them and all being returned. I'm not sold on single IR cameras as my old analog cameras had much better coverage. Maybe its my poor selection of cameras? Looks like getting a good nighttime picture is my real issue.

I've been doing some reading here on how to select the right camera, but may ask Andy for camera suggestions for my situation.

Appreciate the responses and help.

Be Safe.

Reaction score
(IPC-HDW4631C-A
That cam is a 6MP on a 1/2.9" sensor. This is an old camera. Try the T5442 versions. The T5442T-ZE is a 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor and is a 2.7-12mm varifocal. The fixed lens versions come in 2.8, 3.6, and 6mm.

There are reviews here on IPCAMTALK for these cams and are considered the best low light color cam in the prosumer line right now.

Tommyt79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That cam is a 6MP on a 1/2.9" sensor. This is an old camera. Try the T5442 versions. The T5442T-ZE is a 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor and is a 2.7-12mm varifocal. The fixed lens versions come in 2.8, 3.6, and 6mm.

There are reviews here on IPCAMTALK for these cams and are considered the best low light color cam in the prosumer line right now.
Thanks.. Sent Andy a message today... Waiting for a response. For me, it just seems that new cameras IR's are not as good as the old analog cameras.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I finally learned enough and saw enough data here to make a decision to try a 5442. Now I'm sorry didn't put every camera dollar in that basket from the get go. Once i heard the onboard audio working by default, and the metal build quality and the turret locking tool included....I realized I had been wasting time and money on cheaper solutions.....
But it's trial and error and gaining experience with other types of camera hardware. Once I understood what they're saying was good info....then I could testify! EmpiretechAndy and his firmware and shipping speed were getting good reviews. I finally accepted I was onto something better. Having started out in 2017 as building maintenance guy, They were like, " and this is the Security system." A win7 32bit pc with 16 analong BNC dongles hanging out of a PCI card, on a homebuilt Asus board running a whopping 2GB of ram,,,,,, I've come a long way Baby! After about 3 years

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Sebastian. Sorry, I may have sidetracked /wrecked/ the thread with my rambling. Hopefully they get the answers they're hunting for. I get a little wound up about how much money I wasted on junky equipment in this learning curve.