Anyone running 8th gen Intel without memory leak problems in Blue Iris?

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
24.20.100.6194, 7/11/2018 drivers seems to cure problem.

Now my system up and running last 14h, before that cpu wet to 100% in minutes.
So after 14 hrs it went back to 100 percent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Updated mine as well. Been running 12 hrs now no problems.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I had to disable the driver installation restriction I had set up in Group Policy Editor (run: gpedit.msc) > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation Restrictions > Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs. The first time I tried to install the new drivers with that restriction still in place, the media SDK files didn't get replaced and GPU-Z revealed it was still using the old driver.

I also tried flipping a camera to H.265 to see if H.265 acceleration works with this new driver, and curiously it seems that exactly one frame gets decoded, then the stream simply freezes until BI shows no signal and the watchdog restarts the stream. Then one more frame and it freezes again. Obviously not usable yet, but this is one more frame than I got before out of the H.265 hardware acceleration!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've had the graph going for less than half an hour but there is no sign of increasing CPU or GPU usage yet! I'm glad Intel is finally getting their ducks in a row. :smash:

I've sent off an email to Ken to let him know of these findings.

Side note, the "GPU 0 - Video Decode" usage on my system may have dropped by about 3 or 4 % with this driver update. Or it could just be placebo effect.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Driver 24.20.100.6194 ran fine overnight on my i7-8700K box.

This graph shows a little over 4 hours, steady as you could ask for in all values. The squiggly red is CPU usage, and the vertical line is where the graph begins overwriting its previous data. There is no upward trend at all. In fact it almost looks like a very slight downward trend.

eluraamat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My system sill up and running without problems. I haven' t tried h265, mabye weekend, all h264.

I could not use this driver fix, because it did not work for me. I used windows deafult Microsoft adapter drivers.
I just updated driver direct from device manager and all went well.

When BU at the back, gpu usage around 30-35%.
But now I got some ghosting with records, witch I didn' t have with windows default drivers. Very little, but it' s there.

Anyway, now 8mp camera 8x speed playback smooth. I' m happy ;)

eluraamat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I celebrated to soon. Couple days up and got 100% cpu usage. These drivers are better, but looks can' t be used after all.

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I celebrated to soon. Couple days up and got 100% cpu usage. These drivers are better, but looks can' t be used after all.
Dang.

Are you on the 4.7.6.9?

Im still on the 4.7.6.8 on the 8th gen. And its still ar 37-38 percent.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Double-check the current driver version in Device Manager on the "Driver" tab of the properties of the display adapter. Maybe Windows reverted to a different version?

Also if you look in C:\Program Files\Intel\Media SDK\ there should be 28 files all modified July 10, 2018. My folder also has c_32.cpa and c_64.cpa modified April 29, 2017 in there, from older drivers, but I imagine those aren't being used anymore.

This is your i5-8600k right?

eluraamat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Double-check the current driver version in Device Manager on the "Driver" tab of the properties of the display adapter. Maybe Windows reverted to a different version?

Also if you look in C:\Program Files\Intel\Media SDK\ there should be 28 files all modified July 10, 2018. My folder also has c_32.cpa and c_64.cpa modified April 29, 2017 in there, from older drivers, but I imagine those aren't being used anymore.

This is your i5-8600k right?
Yes, it is latest driver. I updated it from default display adapter, not intel one.
All files at the sdk are 10 july.

Anyway, I killed (after I noticed 100% cpu usage) service from task manager and it started automatically, because it runs as a service.
From this day, all OK.

I have installed many drivers and tested my i5-8600k, maybe need to clean install of windows.

At the moment all works, I hope it will stay this way ;)
If there any updates, I will write here ;)

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow thanks to all of you for all this great information. I can’t believe the things I know and am starting to really understand. I mean seriously fixing a memory leak is some Geeky stuff. And with all your help and some reading and researching I just did it. So cool to have such knowledge at my fingertips. Just downloaded the blue iris helper to contribute to the stats and see how my systems are matching up. SYSTEMS.....NICE I now have 3 systems up that I’m managing. Love this software and proud to be a member of this community. Thanks again everyone

Thickice

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow thanks to all of you for all this great information. I can’t believe the things I know and am starting to really understand. I mean seriously fixing a memory leak is some Geeky stuff. And with all your help and some reading and researching I just did it. So cool to have such knowledge at my fingertips. Just downloaded the blue iris helper to contribute to the stats and see how my systems are matching up. SYSTEMS.....NICE I now have 3 systems up that I’m managing. Love this software and proud to be a member of this community. Thanks again everyone
Same.
Without the wealth of knowledge on this forum, I would have just picked a dumb and simple nvr.

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same.
Without the wealth of knowledge on this forum, I would have just picked a dumb and simple nvr.
I started with QSee systems but all my customers wanted so much more and so did I. I found the answer here in BI

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow!! I saw this thread and got a little scared. This week I decided to upgrade my 3rd gen core i5 machine to an 8th gen core i5 8400. But I guess I picked the right time since the fix came in a few weeks ago.

I picked up an open box Dell 3670 for $460 with 12GB of memory. And then I got a 250GB m2 drive for it. And will eventually transplant my 1TB SSD from my old Blue Iris machine into it. My old machine worked fine with my twelve 1500P and two 720P cameras. But there would be certain instances where the CPU would hit 100%. So I hope the much newer CPU with six cores will keep the CPU usage much lower. And hopefully the power usage will be a little lower than the 50 to 60 watts my old machine uses.

Last edited: