Anyone running 8th gen Intel without memory leak problems in Blue Iris?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
FYI, I finally let my i7-8700K BI server update to Windows 10 1803 this morning. BI didn't get deactivated or anything, but the Intel video driver got uninstalled and due to my group policy change forbidding drivers to be installed for this device, it was left without any drivers at all so hardware acceleration stopped working.

skywaytp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have recently built a i5-8600K system with 16GB of memory. There are 9 cameras (4mp) running at 15fps. However, cpu is averaged at 63% and memory usage always stays at 2.56G

I need to install 3 more cams next month in the total of 12. I implemented all steps in wiki regarding:
Disable Windows 10's Automatic Driver Updates
Memory Leak: Quick Sync (Hardware Acceleration)
Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage

I don't know if my i5-8600K can handle a load of 12 cameras in an efficient way since the CPU might go to ~80%
With only 2.56G of memory constantly used in my BI system, I would say a PC with 8GB of RAM is great enough.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have recently built a i5-8600K system with 16GB of memory. There are 9 cameras (4mp) running at 15fps. However, cpu is averaged at 63% and memory usage always stays at 2.56G

I need to install 3 more cams next month in the total of 12. I implemented all steps in wiki regarding:

I don't know if my i5-8600K can handle a load of 12 cameras in an efficient way since the CPU might go to ~80%
With only 2.56G of memory constantly used in my BI system, I would say a PC with 8GB of RAM is great enough.
Something is very wrong with your numbers... way too high...

skywaytp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Something is very wrong with your numbers... way too high...
Thanks fenderman,
I think it is wrong too, but I don't know how to fix it because I followed and did all steps suggested in the wiki.
This is the reason why I'm concerned about adding 3 more cams. I even came across a cpu/system/cam list here at ipcamtalk and learned that some guys even can run up to 32-cam system without any issue with i7-7th gen (which is very similar to i5-8th gen). I really don't know what to to next since I did all trouble shoots.

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman,
I think it is wrong too, but I don't know how to fix it because I followed and did all steps suggested in the wiki.
This is the reason why I'm concerned about adding 3 more cams. I even came across a cpu/system/cam list here at ipcamtalk and learned that some guys even can run up to 32-cam system without any issue with i7-7th gen (which is very similar to i5-8th gen). I really don't know what to to next since I did all trouble shoots.
I'm running a core i5 8400 with fourteen cameras. Three 4mp, nine 3mp, and two 2mp. Also running at 15fps. My i5 8400 only has around a 20 to 35% cpu usage according to the BI app.. And also around 2.87 GB of memory use. The i5 8600k is more powerful than my cpu. I would think you would have equal to or less cpu usage that mine
Are you sure your system is using Direct to Disc with each camera?
Sent from my Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

If you did everything in the wiki correctly, including "limit decoding" then your CPU usage should probably be under 10%. Without limit decoding, then significantly higher but nowhere near 80%!

Where are you getting the CPU usage number from?

skywaytp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you did everything in the wiki correctly, including "limit decoding" then your CPU usage should probably be under 10%. Without limit decoding, then significantly higher but nowhere near 80%!

Where are you getting the CPU usage number from?
Thanks bp2008 for asking the question where I'm getting the CPU usage number from. I read it from the BI app on my phone/tablet. I hope the phone/tablet does not reflect the true value. First, I thought it was the phone's CPU usage, but all variables reflect the same reading both on my phone and tablet.

Due to our project/mission at this moment, I only come home shortly once in a while. I recall last month when I built and set up this BI, the CPU usage (read from BI program) was around 30-40% already. Next time when I have a chance to stop by my home, I will set up team viewer to control it remotely.

Screenshot_20180914-230347_Blue Iris.jpg

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks bp2008 for asking the question where I'm getting the CPU usage number from. I read it from the BI app on my phone/tablet. I hope the phone/tablet does not reflect the true value. First, I thought it was the phone's CPU usage, but all variables reflect the same reading both on my phone and tablet.

Due to our project/mission at this moment, I only come home shortly once in a while. I recall last month when I built and set up this BI, the CPU usage (read from BI program) was around 30-40% already. Next time when I have a chance to stop by my home, I will set up team viewer to control it remotely.

View attachment 33243
Viewing the PC through TeamViewer will give you a false reading... You need to view it on a local monitor.

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Viewing the PC through TeamViewer will give you a false reading... You need to view it on a local monitor.
Using team viewer should not increase the CPU usage much. At least I know it doesnt with my BI machine. It only adds a few percent to the CPU usage in my setup.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Using team viewer should not increase the CPU usage much. At least I know it doesnt with my BI machine. It only adds a few percent to the CPU usage in my setup.

It adds way more then a few percent on the multiple machines I've tested... Obviously the increase is only present when you are remotely viewing

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There's a lot more work for TeamViewer to do when there is video constantly updating the screen somewhere, too.

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just tried it from my cell phone. After opening the BI program on my PC using Team Viewer, my CPU usage went up four percent to 27% while showing my fourteen cameras in the BI program. Normally I am running BI as service.
It adds way more then a few percent on the multiple machines I've tested... Obviously the increase is only present when you are remotely viewing

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just tried it from my cell phone. After opening the BI program on my PC using Team Viewer, my CPU usage went up four percent to 27% while showing my fourteen cameras in the BI program. Normally I am running BI as service.

Dont know what is happening, perhaps you have low live preview rates or there are other variables...
I just tested a system that is normally at 28-32 percent with just the mobile app connected and with the console open and it jumps to bounces between 50 and 65 when I add teamviewer to the equation. There must have been at least 100 posts with users complaining about high cpu consumption where teamviewer was the culprit..

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dont know what is happening, perhaps you have low live preview rates or there are other variables...
I just tested a system that is normally at 28-32 percent with just the mobile app connected and with the console open and it jumps to bounces between 50 and 65 when I add teamviewer to the equation. There must have been at least 100 posts with users complaining about high cpu consumption where teamviewer was the culprit..
I checked and I do have the framerate set low from the actual BI program. So based on what you said then that must be the reason.

Sent from my Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine arrived last night. I'm very pleased with this ITX case.

I haven't installed BI on it yet.
Care to tell us more about your build and the cost? How many drives inside? I’m assuming SSD plus at least one rotational minimum.

Why did you decide to build your own?

Did you have to buy a copy of Windows 10 Pro?

Thanks,

Robert

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Care to tell us more about your build and the cost? How many drives inside? I’m assuming SSD plus at least one rotational minimum.
Hi. I had linked a parts list a few posts above the post you quoted. System Builder - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core, Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop - PCPartPicker

In addition to that, I moved over a 2 TB and a 3 TB drive from my old BI server, to store video.

Why did you decide to build your own?
I was already running on an i7-3770K, so i7-8700 / i7-8700K were the only CPUs that made sense to upgrade to. Those were (still are, really) new enough that you can't find great discounts on pre-built systems. Plus I enjoy building PCs.

Did you have to buy a copy of Windows 10 Pro?
Nope. I had an unused Win8 key that I was able to upgrade to 10 with.

eluraamat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, my system was up and running and decided to update drivers.

When 24.20.100.6229 driver came out, it updated. WITHOUT restart, all went ok and system was like before.
When I did restart, cpu usage went to 100%.

So, now I tried to update to 24.20.100.6286, still 100% cpu usage.

When I tried to remove all drives and get back to 24.20.100.6194, still 100% cpu usage, even these drivers worked for me.
At the moment system running without quicksync.

I will try to reinstall windows, because nothing will help anymore, sadly.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Some types of hardware acceleration failure will cause Blue Iris to automatically disable hardware acceleration for individual cameras in the Camera Properties > Video tab. If this happens without you expecting it, it could take you by surprise and explain why you can't make it work again.

eluraamat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, I installed windows clean an latest driver, 100% usage when quicksynck enabled.
I installed after that 24.20.100.6194 driver, witch worked first time, still 100% usage with quicksync.

I will try one more time to install windows and only 24.20.100.6194 drivers.
But 24.20.100.6194 driver have problem also. I got ghosting, witch someone pointed here already.