Been tasked to upgrade cameras and system.

mar2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been tasked to upgrade/replace old cameras in my house/warehouse. The previous owner had already wired the house but cameras are old and the dvr is antiquated.

It looks like the old cameras are powered over AC ( 24V ) and cable is CAT 5e ( see images ). Cameras are over 20 years old and 240p, mix of outdoor/indoor. Total 8 cameras.

1. Should I change this setup to POE and use the current cables ?

2. If I keep current setup what cameras/system are there out there that supports this kind of setup?

Cheers,

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been tasked to upgrade/replace old cameras in my house/warehouse. The previous owner had already wired the house but cameras are old and the dvr is antiquated.

It looks like the old cameras are powered over AC ( 24V ) and cable is CAT 5e ( see images ). Cameras are over 20 years old and 240p, mix of outdoor/indoor. Total 8 cameras.

1. Should I change this setup to POE and use the current cables ?

2. If I keep current setup what cameras/system are there out there that supports this kind of setup?

Cheers,
welcome @mar2000

I really do not like the way they stapled the cat5e down like that. They should have used tacks designed for cat5e. The staples they used may damage the cat3/5/5e/6 cables.

Thus, I now question the quality of the cabling job.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

with one new camera and a NVR or PC and POE switch test the cables.

The cables do not look good to me, they way they are stapled. One missed stable and the cable may be no good.

---------------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Before asking a question search the forum first...
The best way to search the forum is to use Google
In the google search window enter.. site:ipcamtalk.com ?????? ..where ?????? is the items/terms you are interested in.
Example site:ipcamtalk.com PALE MOON BROWSER

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

ip_poe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree with @mat200 , the cable job looks bad and they never should have used staples and those sharp 90 degree bends. It almost certainly will have some impact on the cable's performance.

However, a single POE camera doesn't use a whole lot of bandwidth compared to the overall capacity of the line, so even if you have some degradation on the cable or get some occasional dropped packets I think it should still perform good enough if you just convert the existing setup to POE. You have nothing to lose by at least trying this method, and I think it should work well enough, if it doesn't work well you'd have to re-run new wires anyways. Unless the entire cable run was easily accessible and you're very concerned about having optimal performance I wouldn't bother with new cable runs unless I knew the old lines were absolutely not usable if I was in that situation.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would try to reuse the cabling if possible. Sure would beat having to run new cables. Put connectors on the Cat5e cable ends and get a cable tester and make sure the signal is good. If it is showing good then just get an NVR and some IP cameras. NVR will have the built in POE and will power the cameras.