Best Cameras for under $150

Reaction score
Ok, so I've read through the wiki and the cliff notes, and searched for relevant posts on here, but I just can't figure out a good, general purpose camera for a job that I've got.

I'm new to installing these kinds of cameras, though I've got a history in IT and security, including cameras - but I never had a choice, just installed what the company provided. So I'm trying to figure all of this out for the first time, and its exhausting! So many options, not enough information.

I just need a good general purpose camera that I can install in about 9 locations at this house. All of these locations are outdoors, on the side of the house just under the eves or under a large covered patio that wraps around the house.

I've been looking at Dahua (and all the many choices) as well as the IP Cam Talk Cameras. Any suggestions?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've read through the wiki and the cliff notes, and searched for relevant posts on here, but I just can't figure out a good, general purpose camera for a job that I've got.

I'm new to installing these kinds of cameras, though I've got a history in IT and security, including cameras - but I never had a choice, just installed what the company provided. So I'm trying to figure all of this out for the first time, and its exhausting! So many options, not enough information.

I just need a good general purpose camera that I can install in about 9 locations at this house. All of these locations are outdoors, on the side of the house just under the eves or under a large covered patio that wraps around the house.

I've been looking at Dahua (and all the many choices) as well as the IP Cam Talk Cameras. Any suggestions?
Both are good. The ipct cams are rebranded hiks. Either way you go, ensure you get cameras with large sensors for good low light capability. The dahua turrets have built in mics for audio.

Reaction score
Both are good. The ipct cams are rebranded hiks. Either way you go, ensure you get cameras with large sensors for good low light capability. The dahua turrets have built in mics for audio.
I see a lot of Dahua's on Amazon for around $60. Are these genuine Dahua cams, or ripoffs?

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those are china region hacked cameras and the firmware is not upgradable. In addition they dont have sensors that are capable of good low light images.
100% on firmware not upgradable however the night vision is very good for the money. I've definitely seen worse.

This is from a IPC-HDW4433C-A... $55 Dahua... all default settings in pitch black
1515609513216.jpg

And from a customers house when they got their car broken into.
IPC-HDW4433C-A forced color mode because of street light across the road
Screenshot_20171106-131650.png

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
100% on firmware not upgradable however the night vision is very good for the money. I've definitely seen worse.

This is from a IPC-HDW4433C-A... $55 Dahua... all default settings in pitch black
View attachment 38842

And from a customers house when they got their car broken into.
IPC-HDW4433C-A forced color mode because of street light across the road
View attachment 38843
Hey, that is poor night vision more so when anything moves. Its a night and day difference between those and a low light cam.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, that is poor night vision more so when anything moves. Its a night and day difference between those and a low light cam.
I have a few Dahua IPC-HDW2231R-ZS in my warehouse I got from Andy. I am curious to do a comparison between the cheap IPC-HDW4433C-A and a IPC-HDW2231R-ZS. I KNOW the starlight will be better but to show maybe how much better.

I do have a few starlights too installed on my house so I am not bias to one or the other. Most of my customers never had cameras before or are replacing a cheap Costco/ or horrid Zmodo system so even the IPC-HDW4433C-A to them is like seeing true 4k for the first time

Edit for camera model correction

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a few Dahua IPC-HDW2231R-ZS in my warehouse I got from Andy. I am curious to do a comparison between the cheap IPC-HDW4433C-A and a IPC-HDW2231R-ZS. I KNOW the starlight will be better but to show maybe how much better.

I do have a few starlights too installed on my house so I am not bias to one or the other. Most of my customers never had cameras before or are replacing a cheap Costco/ or horrid Zmodo system so even the IPC-HDW4433C-A to them is like seeing true 4k for the first time

Edit for camera model correction
The difference is significant as seen is many comparison videos and photos.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The difference is significant as seen is many comparison videos and photos.
I been wanting to do a comparison video anyways. Your definition of significant and someone else's can vary significantly ;)

It's like saying there is a huge difference in a iphone XS vs XR... or Windows is significantly better than Mac. While one may be "better" than another it might not be of a "significant" difference to spend the extra money on.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Based on the number of "help me tune my Starlight" threads that have popped up over the past couple of weeks, it seems like people are wanting blur-free images of people that are moving ~20 feet from the camera during low-light. If one of your comparisons could compare that between the two cameras, I think that'd be helpful for a lot of folks.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Based on the number of "help me tune my Starlight" threads that have popped up over the past couple of weeks, it seems like people are wanting blur-free images of people that are moving ~20 feet from the camera during low-light. If one of your comparisons could compare that between the two cameras, I think that'd be helpful for a lot of folks.
Absolutely! This is exactly what I would like to know and play around with too.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Kyle

You have select a get price range for the cameras. Look at HikVision DarkFighter or Dahua starlight. It is recommended that you use turret style cameras, For outside do not use bullets (spiders and bugs love them) or dome (night glare and fog) .

Remember when mounting the cameras , you "what happened" and "Who did it". The "who did it" cameras needed to be mounted no more than 7 ft up.

Reaction score
Are any of the 4MP Starlight cameras any good? Seems like everybody uses the 2MP, so maybe I should too, but the customer would like more than 2MP if possible.

Are there any reputable resellers on Amazon?

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are any of the 4MP Starlight cameras any good? Seems like everybody uses the 2MP, so maybe I should too, but the customer would like more than 2MP if possible.

Are there any reputable resellers on Amazon?
Starlights only come in 2mp. High MP cameras tend to not do better at night

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I been wanting to do a comparison video anyways. Your definition of significant and someone else's can vary significantly ;)

It's like saying there is a huge difference in a iphone XS vs XR... or Windows is significantly better than Mac. While one may be "better" than another it might not be of a "significant" difference to spend the extra money on.
Dont take my word for it...the comparisons are all over the forum...I would not install these cams if I got them for free.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Starlights only come in 2mp. High MP cameras tend to not do better at night
Hikvision has released 4mp low lights they are available as Ipcamtalk branded as well.
Both hik/ipct and dahua have large sensor 8mp cameras that are good in low light, again much better then these crappy 4mp hacked dahuas.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I ordered one of the Dahua Starlight 2MP from Empire Tech and a 4MP IPCamTalk cam, both on Amazon. Should be here soon so I can test them out and then make a decision on which way to go with the rest of them. I still need about 8 more for this house.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I ordered one of the Dahua Starlight 2MP from Empire Tech and a 4MP IPCamTalk cam, both on Amazon. Should be here soon so I can test them out and then make a decision on which way to go with the rest of them. I still need about 8 more for this house.
Good luck!

Bws

n3wb
Reaction score
Let me know which you like better? I need something similar.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Kyle Tenuki Gray, which Starlight did you get? IMO the varifocal turrets make for great general purpose cameras because you can zoom them to exactly what you need.