Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more! 1.5.0

Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more!

Share This Page

1. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Thanks for letting me know, will look into that for 1.3.2.

2. davej

davej Getting the hang of it

So BIT interfaces with BI, and can pass it overlay information. Could BIT retrieve overlay information from a Raspberry Pi and pass it to BI? Can BIT trigger a BI alert? What I'm thinking of is perhaps a Raspberry Pi that is monitoring an alarm system or temperature probes?

3. 58chev

58chev Pulling my weight

So I just installed BIT and playing around with some weather settings. @bp2008, great ad on utility.

One thing I noticed is that when I enable a script to just overlay the temp on one camera, BI automatically overlays the date and time.

Is there a way to just overlay the temp?

The date and time is already overlayed from the camera and I don't want it overlayed from BI.

4. TonyR

TonyR IPCT Contributor

In BI, go to "Camera properties", "video tab", next to "enable overlays" (leave checked), click on "Edit" button, click once on the offending date/time overlay to highlight it, press "delete" key on keyboard, click on "OK"

mjessup44 and looney2ns like this.
  5. 58chev

58chev Pulling my weight

Thank you @TonyR :headbang:

6. Dwalls

Dwalls n3wb

I can't seem to get the CPU data, it is alread showing 0%. Do I need to point the macro to another folder? Anyone else having this problem or have I missed this discussion earlier?

Thank you

7. Mike

Mike Staff Member

For CPU, you need to have the CPU Watchdog enabled in the Watchdog tab and CPU Usage enabled in the Weather Overlay tab
    upload_2019-2-19_12-18-22.png upload_2019-2-19_12-19-3.png

Then, assign either the CPU or Everything field to a macro by clicking macro in the Weather Overlay tab, then click the %# that you want to assign the macro to, then CPU (or Everything)
    upload_2019-2-19_12-20-17.png upload_2019-2-19_12-21-17.png

Then add the macro in BI via these directions

8. Dwalls

Dwalls n3wb

That's the part that I missed, I only watched the first video on weather overlays and haven't watched the next one yet. But he did have the cpu showing on the weather overlays video. Thank you for your help, great addition to BI. Now to go find the donate button.

Thank you again

Mike likes this.
  9. Dwalls

Dwalls n3wb

Ok help me one more time please, I know that I've seen a donate tab somewhere but can't seem to find it now on my phone

Thank you

TonyR likes this.
  10. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Thanks Donate to Blue Iris Tools

11. Dwalls

Dwalls n3wb

Thank you again, can't wait to see what else BIT can do for my setup. Great so far and I only found out about it yesterday.

Thanks again

12. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Thanks! Do you use DDNS? I am releasing an update within the next couple of days that will use the new IPCT DDNS system

13. Dwalls

Dwalls n3wb

No I don't, at least I don't think that I do, lol doesn't that something to do with the IP address that my ISP assigned to me? If so, it hasn't changed in over a year.

14. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Do some reading. Check out the wiki and cliff notes

15. Dwalls

Dwalls n3wb

Guess I have allot of reading to do. Lol
    I'm guessing that using it like I currently have it isn't too secure, but I have gotten away from putP forwarding. I'll have to do more reading, can't wait to get home and see what changed that I can make to help the CPU usage, I did see that under your wiki link.

Thank you

16. Mike

Mike Staff Member

looney2ns and awsum140 like this.
  17. peterfram

peterfram Young grasshopper

I read back through this thread and didn't see it mentioned from late last year. Not sure if discussed already.

At the end of 2018 Weather Underground deprecated their API and now charges for frequent access to weather data. Personal weather station owners who upload weather data to WU can get a new API key that has a modest free tier to allow pulling a limited number of weather/temp/wind etc updates per day (10 requests per hour IIRQ). Any third party service, I believe like BIT using a shared API for users will get rate limited currently unless signing up for the pay API plan.

I worked around this in other use cases by securing my own limited free API key to enable accessing my weather station data. I just happened to notice the BIT temp reported on camera is a few hours old. I was wondering if BIT developer was aware of these WU API changes or already found a solution? If there is some rate limit being hit because the old API is deprecated, one option could be to allow BIT users with weather stations to enter their own API key (like I see in the DDNS options).

Is anyone else seeing stale or inconsistent weather data in BIT (e.g. temp), or is it just me?

18. awsum140

awsum140 Known around here

I care more about what WU is doing to ruin, what was, a decent site.

looney2ns likes this.
  19. looney2ns

looney2ns IPCT Contributor

Everything about WU is inconsistent. It's buggy as all get out.
    My data is still transmitting to WU, without any API key or such. But it disappears from WU frequently.
    But since last week, when they announced they would be "making improvements" to the PWS sections, it's been further down hill.
    I have many stations around me, and I see them drop off from time to time up 7-8 hrs.
    IBM has completely destroyed WU, and slapped us long time data providers in the face.

awsum140 likes this.
  20. peterfram

peterfram Young grasshopper

Yeah the buggyness is not new. Their API changes don't limit uploading data from your PWS. Rather, in order to make requests to pull data, you need to get the new API key from my 2nd link above. Those keys are specifically for PWS owners who are actively uploading data.

The primary impact of API changes seems to be to products /services that make WU weather data requests on behalf of multiple users, with all those requests sharing the same rate limited API key. IBM would like to have products like BIT start paying for those requests over the very low free tier. A work around could be allowing each BIT user to enter their own API key and sort out limits and request frequency on their own.