Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more! 1.3.2

Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more!

Share This Page

1. forinsec

forinsec n3wb

Are there any updates here?

Especially is there a recommendation for a PWS which is able to connect directly to BIT`? :slap:

2. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Any update where? On what in particular? There is a BIT update coming soon but no changes to the weather feature.

If your PWS can save the values to a text file then you can assign those files directly to macros in BI :headbang:

forinsec likes this.
  3. forinsec

forinsec n3wb

Sorry for the too general question, I didn't realize this is such a big thread already, I just read the last few posts...

I'm googling since hours for a PWS with WiFi or direct LAN connection, but I'm overwhelmed with all the brands and functionalities on the market. In the end a Davis Vantage2 pro with a meteobridge would be possible or in Ali I found the IP Observer which seems too cheap...

(As I plan to sell these to customers, it should be something reliable... I don't like some NETATMO devices here :facepalm: )
    So that's why I was asking, what type of weather station you guys are using where you can write a textfile directly...?

4. looney2ns

looney2ns IPCT Contributor

Davis has a good reputation. Many of the other stations, such as The Acurites, Oregons, and Ambient Weather stations, typically do not have very long life span. Neatamo is crap.
    My opinion, but after having weather stations over the past 35-40 years, the Davis is the minimum I would consider. And if they want to use software, then I recommed Weather Display - the Weather Station software, the developer is very active, and tries his best to incorporate any request's that come along. You can find out more here: www.wxforum.net and here: Weather-Watch.com - Index

forinsec, jaydeel and Mike like this.
  5. awsum140

awsum140 Known around here

I'm using an AcuRite (AcuWrong) 5N1. I can get a text file out the the "bridge" but AcuWrong no longer supports the bridge so if it goes south, no more text files. The Access device doesn't have local text logging ability that I am aware of.

I'd do it differently if I could and go with a Davis like looney2ns mentions, but even then it is more complicated than just plug and pray.

forinsec likes this.
  6. forinsec

forinsec n3wb

Thank you guys for the answers! I saw some weather stations like $2k+ which would do the stuff I need...

I'll still do some research on any alternatives...

7. looney2ns

If you're willing to spend more, then the Rainwise MkIII is the ticket. I have a 20 year old Texas weather instruments station still plugging along. Which is what I would have recommended in the past. But it appears that they are no longer in business, darn it.

awsum140 and Mike like this.
  8. RPro

RPro n3wb

I am having an issue with Pushover notifications. Occasionally, Blue Iris will hang or crash, and then Blue Iris Tools will detect this and kill BI and then restart it. It then sends me a notification using Pushover. However, it sends me the same notification every 10 minutes, 5 times an hour, forever, until I kill Blue Iris Tools and restart it. Is there a way to configure BI Tools so that it only sends *one* Pushover notification for each BI Watchdog incident? Thanks.

9. looney2ns

Run BI on a dedicated computer.
    Exclude it from your antivirus as per the help file.
    Windows 10 should be a clean fresh install using the MS Media Creation tool.
    BI should not be hanging/crashing, thats not normal.

awsum140 likes this.
  10. RPro

RPro n3wb

Do you have anything to say about BI Tools' sending the same Pushover notification forever though? Is that by design?

11. Mike

Mike Staff Member

You can control the amount of alerts and frequency of sending them in this section
    20190422_180723.png

12. AMP

AMP n3wb

Is there any way to have Blue Iris Tools display the dew point on an overlay? It can be calculated from existing values of temperature and relative humidity, so if a formula could be done it would be possible. Dew point is more useful for those who those who are enlightened on why it is more useful than relative humidity for determining the comfort level of moisture in the air.

Thanks,
    AMP

13. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Currently it's not an option but it is possible by creating an addon for Blue Iris Tools. I would love to see this done!

14. AMP

AMP n3wb

Thanks Mike!

I looked into using an addon and spent a few hours last night trying to manipulate the temperature and relative humidity and give the dew point. It was more complicated than I bargained for. I was able to parse off the "F" in the temperature from C:\Program Files (x86)\Blue Iris Tools\txt\Temperature.txt and and the % sign in the relative humidity in C:\Program Files (x86)\Blue Iris Tools\txt\humidity.txt, then trying to use the simplified equation Dew point - Wikipedia for the dew point didn't seem to output the right value. So then I was looking into a more accurate complex version https://steelcityelectronics.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/htu21d_dew_point_equations_crop1.png but that uses a natural logarithm function which windows batch doesn't support. I tried to output the value of a command line calculator Command Line Calculator to be able to do the log function in the equation but got stuck, not being able to output the results of the command into a variable.

Is there any way to just grab the dew point that is reported from Wunderground rather than trying to do the calculation with the temperature and relative humidity values? I'm not a developer, so being able to do the equation in a script to output the correct value might be a bit over my head.

Thanks,
    AMP

15. brianrozs5br

brianrozs5br n3wb

Hi! I have just installed the latest version of BIT and I am running the latest version of BI.
    I have my own Davis Weather Station that is linked to and visible on WUnderground.
    I have entered my weather station ID (IKWAZULU11) in BIT but keep getting 'Error connecting to wunderground' error message!
    Any help/suggestions, please?

16. awsum140

awsum140 Known around here

Given that WU is a mess from their latest "upgrade" I'd say just hang in there until they get around to fixing things, assuming they ever actually fix anything.

Mike, TonyR and brianrozs5br like this.
  17. Ssayer

Ssayer Pulling my weight

I just popped your station ID in to BIT and gave it a try. It connected and retrieved info without a hitch. Do you maybe have a firewall problem?

Mike and brianrozs5br like this.
  18. TonyR

TonyR IPCT Contributor

+1^^ .
    I did the same and got the same reporting in BIT "results" for IKWAZULU11 as displayed on WU web page for IKWAZULU11.

As mentioned by @brianrozs5br , I had to tell Norton to allow firewall exception when Norton displayed a popup.

Mike and brianrozs5br like this.
  19. brianrozs5br

brianrozs5br n3wb

Thanks to all - It took a while but is now connected and updating as expected. Your help, comments, suggestions appreciated!

TonyR and awsum140 like this.
  20. TonyR

TonyR IPCT Contributor

Yep. And the underlying and ongoing issues can be attributed to...your choice of the 3:

twc_ibm_wu.jpg

th182, Mike and awsum140 like this.