Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more! 1.5.0

Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more!

Share This Page

1. Mike

Mike Staff Member

This does not use the typical WU API that they charge for, this uses a different web based method which (knock on wood) they haven't shut down yet and works fine. BIT loads a text based web page from WU in the background to avoid having to use the paid API key, so there is no need to purchase a key.

looney2ns and awsum140 like this.
  2. awsum140

awsum140 Known around here

IBM is in the "profit center" business which means all of us who contribute data to WU, at our own expense, will be getting the "business" very soon now. Oh well, as the old saying goes, all good things must come to an end. Their latest "improvement" no longer seems to be pushing data to a logged in user page and has to be refreshed if you want to have current data. The layout stinks, only displays temperature, dew point, humidity and the local map. Everything else is down the page and it is all out of date information. It's 53 outside right now but according to WU the high for today is 34.

looney2ns likes this.
  3. Mike

Mike Staff Member

I contribute to WU with my weather station and they gave me 1 year of no ads on the app....yay (sarcasm). I am always looking for alternatives of WU to integrate into BIT but haven't found anything that is free that offers as much as WU does. I'm all ears if anyone has ideas.

4. peterfram

peterfram Young grasshopper

Smart. And good to know. So the wrong/delayed temp I see must be WU bugs. Didn't notice until today. The other stuff that requests through API is accurate so I thought could be API... Thanks for clarifying.

5. awsum140

I wish I had a better idea, Mike. They're the only game in town right now to my knowledge but that could change depending on how far IBM takes it down the drain. Wish I could code.

I just use an adblocker and that's a little more permanent and under my control.

Mike likes this.
  6. awsum140

As an aside, I wonder how many of us camera addicts are also weather bugs?

looney2ns, peterfram and Mike like this.
  7. jaydeel

jaydeel BIT Beta Team

Have you considered darksky.net? It has a deep set of data and is free for the first 1000 API requests per day (one API request every 2 minutes is 720x per day).

Several conditions it provides that I find useful are ‘cloudCover’, ‘precipIntensity’, ‘precipIntensityError’, ‘precipIntensityMax’, ’precipIntensityMaxTime’, and ‘precipProbability’. Storm watchers might like ‘nearestStormDistance’ and ‘nearestStormBearing’.

~~~~~
    Pasted below is the pricing info from darksky.net.

Pricing is dead-simple.

• The first 1,000 API requests you make every day are free of charge.
    • Every API request over the free daily limit costs $0.0001.
    You are required to display the message “Powered by Dark Sky” that links to https://darksky.net/poweredby/ somewhere prominent in your app or service. If attribution isn't for you, email sales@darksky.net for details about white labeling.

8. Mike

Mike Staff Member

I have now! (considered it). Will look into this for sure, thanks for sharing.

9. grigione

grigione BIT Beta Team

In darksky you can't add your weather station!

peterfram likes this.
  10. aesterling

aesterling Getting the hang of it

Quick question about how BIT launches a web browser on Windows 10.

If I click the "?" BIT help icon, it appears to open an embedded web browser where the title bar says, "Windows 8 Detected - Can't Launch Default Browser." However, in BIT, if I click on the banner for "Blue Iris Sale $49 - Click Here" it opens my default Chrome browser to the page. I'm wondering why these behave differently? I'd prefer it just launch my default browser for both. Thanks!

11. jaydeel

jaydeel BIT Beta Team

True... I should have noted that I don’t own a weather station, so this is not a priority for me.

Btw, awhile back I investigated alternatives to the WU API and found this <reddit link> helpful. It mentions <AerisWeather> which does support personal weather stations at its <PSWeather> website. Perhaps it is worth looking at for data providers like you?

For my applications, I personally prefer to see/use multiple sources of data (after all, there is no single source of truth for weather data!). So I routinely make use of WU data (via BIT) and ALSO make API calls to both OpenWeather.com and DarkSky.net. If AerisWeather were to be addd to BIT, I could add a 4th source (for another data point I’m personally not willing to pay $23/mo for its lowest tier API access plan, though data providers may get free access).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  12. awsum140

One of the problems with the alternate places to upload weather data to is that they are not supported by AcuRite which is a very popular, and relatively inexpensive, weather station system. The data could be uploaded from a website but that's more hoops to jump through. If it ain't KISS it ain't for me or loads of other folks. I flat out refuse to create a website just for weather data and have no need for one for anything else. Just my two cents.

13. griffths

griffths Getting comfortable

Came here to research the lack of updates to my weather overlay in BIT and see if it was something I was doing wrong but based upon what I am reading here, it is a result of the recent upgrade WU has made and, as of now, there is no fix for the lack of weather updates getting to BIT and subsequently to the overlays?

What tipped me off was the temp seemed way off today; overlay showed 34 but I was outside in shorts and a t-shirt and not cold so wondered what was going on with BI/BIT/WU.

Am I close/on the money with my assessment?

14. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Kind of, WU frequently reports incorrect or inaccurate data despite the changes. TBH since the changes I have no experienced any inaccurate readings with my personal weather station. In fact, I have never had any inaccuracies. I use an AmbientWeather WS-1001-Wifi

griffths likes this.
  15. looney2ns

looney2ns IPCT Contributor

Weather Underground is a complete mess right now. Many folks gripping at them over on wxforum.net.

awsum140, griffths and Mike like this.
  16. griffths

griffths Getting comfortable

The station that I had configured (KILBUFFA10) shows as not reporting in the WU webpage but when I try to choose a different station (KILPALAT14) from the WU webpage I get ERROR: 404 Page not found, in fact I get the same 404 for every station I try.

I'll mess around with it some more and see if I can figure it out

17. awsum140

I'm so disgusted with WU that I stopped sending them data. I don't know who, or why, the rollout of this disaster they call the "new site" was done, but calling it a disaster is an understatement. I tried deleting my account there, as well, but that didn't work either, which isn't really very surprising given that nothing over there works.

looney2ns likes this.
  18. grigione

grigione BIT Beta Team

Feature request: it's possible capture the weather data directly from cumulus using the realtime.txt file as an alternative method for those who have a weather station? Thanks

19. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Can you show me an example of the text file it creates? What about assigning that text file to a Macro?

20. grigione

grigione BIT Beta Team

Ok here a example of realtime.txt of my weather station: https://stazionemeteopaola.altervista.org/cumulus/realtime.txt
    You can find more examples simply searching RealTime.txt as Key research on Google.
    It's a simple txt file where are reported and updated at regular intervals all values of temperature humidity Wind etc etc uploaded by ftp with cumulus that read values of weather station . All values are separated by space example: space date space time space temperature space humidity etc etc
    You can read more info on format here: Realtime.txt - Cumulus Wiki Your software can read this values and insert by macros in blueiris? Thanks

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019