Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more!

Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more! 1.6.0

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is there a way to set the watchdog notification for the BI web server to say, 30 or 60 seconds? It sends me an email even when I do an update, so I know it works well, just would like to have it set to wait at least 60 seconds before it "barks" :)

joemaletz

n3wb
Reaction score
I use Blue Iris 5.2.7.1 on Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) plus Blue Iris Tools 1.6 and it works great. I have Watchdog (program monitor) enabled and it works great to restart BI on a shutdown. It there a way to AutoStart BI without a username/password dialog? I use Local_Console plus password as user now.
I'm very happy to introduce Blue Iris Tools to everyone. Blue Iris Tools was created to act as a companion to Blue Iris and has a bunch of features built in to help maximize your Blue Iris experience.

Some of the core features of Blue Iris Tools are:
  • Weather Overlays
    • Easily add the local weather to your camera feeds,
    • Easily create Macros for Blue Iris right from BI Tools,
    • Ability to assign all weather conditions to 1 Macro!
    • Retrieve & overlay weather from multiple locations
  • Watchdog
    • If Blue Iris crashes or closes, BI Tools will re-open it
    • Monitor Blue Iris (whether running 'normal' or as a service)
    • Monitor Blue Iris' web server. If BIT cannot connect, activate alerts
    • CPU monitor + CPU Overlay
    • BI folders monitor
    • IP Address monitor (notify if change)
    • Notifications - Get notified if BI crashes via e-mail, push notifications via Pushover (download BIT icon here), by playing a sound, pinging / launching a URL.
  • Web Server File Management
    • Insert Google Analytics into web server files easily,
    • Search & Replace in web server files - manually or automatically
  • Language
    • Create and import custom language phrases and definitions. Language files are available in the 2nd post of this thread. If you created your own, please share it!
    • Click here to download or share language files
  • DDNS Updater & IP Management
    • Automatically update DDNS providers when your IP address changes
    • Integrated with IPCT DDNS. Our free DDNS solution.
  • Log
    • Log all BIT related actions (BIT open / close, etc.)
    • Watchdog (Anytime the Watchdog is triggered - if BI is closed, etc.)
    • Weather Updates (anytime the weather is updated)
    • DDNS Updater (when your IP changes, etc.)
    • CPU Usage (log CPU usage during alerts, etc.)
    • Overlay IP address on camera
  • BI Update Manager
    • Keep previous versions of Blue Iris
    • Easily restore previous BI versions
  • BIT Cloud
    • BIT Cloud Remote - Connect to BIT from another remote BIT to view / manage settings and control BIT / BI, etc.
    • BIT Cloud Web Server - A personal website for you to connect to from any browser on any device to check your BIT / BI, including stats, weather, log, cpu, settings, etc.
    • BIT Cloud Watchdog - Remotely monitor a BI or BIT install - with watchdog alerts.
  • Add-ons
    • Create your own or install from the community for more control of BI and BIT
    • BIT Event Handlers installed for interaction with BIT & BI
    • View add-ons wiki here
  • Key Manager
    • Easily retrieve your license key from your machine
    • Store other license keys
  • Batch Config Tool (BI4)
    • Update multiple camera's settings at once

BI Tools uses WUnderground to gather the weather. You can find your nearest station here. I plan on adding more weather providers in the future.

Here are some screenshots of Blue Iris Tools.
View attachment 38291View attachment 38286View attachment 38303View attachment 38294View attachment 38290View attachment 38302View attachment 38304View attachment 38305View attachment 38348 View attachment 38350View attachment 38299View attachment 38298View attachment 38301View attachment 38285View attachment 38306View attachment 38295View attachment 38296View attachment 38297View attachment 38300View attachment 38292View attachment 38293

Here are a few examples of the weather on your video feeds. You can select which conditions to show, what units to display and more.
View attachment 38287 View attachment 38288 View attachment 38289

I have put together athread to act as a 'help file' or a place that provides details and explanations on how to use the software, what each feature and setting does, etc. If you cannot find the answers you are looking for in the help file then you may ask for support in this thread. Please view the add-ons wiki for information on how to use the add-ons system.

A big thanks to the beta team for helping get BIT where it is! Blue Iris Tools was built by me and is offered for free to everyone. I ask that you don't redistribute the software, rather direct people here to download it. I am not a programmer by trade, I just wanted to put together this software to help out the Blue Iris community. I expect bugs to crop up throughout the early releases but I plan on building and maintaining BI Tools long term, so if you do find bugs or have issues don't worry, whatever it is I will take care of. Just let me know. Please don't hesitate to leave your suggestions or feedback as well. I want to build and expand BI Tools as much as possible and have a lot of really good ideas that will make their way into future releases.

I plan on updating this thread when I release updates and will use it as a centralized location to discuss BI Tools. Please visit this thread for the help file and see the 2nd post in this thread for language files.

Current Release
Jan 18, 2020 - v.1.6.0 - If you already have BIT then update via BIT. If not, download the installer using the link on the top of this page.

Upcoming
-Send commands via BIT Cloud Web Server pages
-More info & controls from BIT Cloud Web Server and BIT Cloud Remote
-"My BIT Cloud" - Personal storage space to backup BIT, BI & more.
-BIT Cloud API
-Add custom CSS and HTML to the web server pages

Download & Installation Instructions
  • Blue Iris Tools v1.6.0 Installer.zip - For new installations download Blue Iris Tools v1.6.0 Installer.zip and extract the files. From there, run setup.exe. If your web browser or firewall flags it, disable during installation. If you encounter errors during the install, please 'ignore' them if possible. If you have a previous version of BIT, make sure it is closed. Always check for an update after installation.

• bit-update.zip - If you are upgrading from a previous version of BIT that did not use the installer then download the bit-update.zip file, close BIT if it is running and extract the contents over your previous installation of Blue Iris tools. You may also download and install via the installer if you like. All future versions will be updated via BIT itself.

• error-files only for issues.zip - Only use this if you are unable to properly install or run BIT, then download the contents of "error-files only for issues.zip" and extract them to a directory of your choice. Run BIT from there. If you are still having issues then please post in this thread.
Donate
I have been asked several times about accepting a donation for my work, so I finally decided to set up an easy way to do so. While it's not obligated, it's certainly appreciated. Blue Iris Tools is free and always will be free, but if you would like to make a donation, you may do so by clicking here - Donate to Blue Iris Tools

The link to download has been moved to the top of the page.

stillgrey

n3wb
Reaction score
In BI Settings, Startup, select run as a service. BI will be recording/web works,etc. If you want to view locally you have to open BI

Tomtreas

n3wb
Reaction score
Any status on when my other cameras can no longer say that the temperature is 999 degrees?? Been waiting on the multiple updates for a little while. ANy news on that being fixed?

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any status on when my other cameras can no longer say that the temperature is 999 degrees?? Been waiting on the multiple updates for a little while. ANy news on that being fixed?
I’ve never seen that problem. Temp has always been spot on. This info is pulled from your WS. I’m curios why you get that.

Tomtreas

n3wb
Reaction score
I think you missed "other cameras". I have one that displays the proper temperature from one location, but because we still don't have multiple locations operating in the software, the rest of my cameras all display 999 degrees. I was hesitant to do the work to go in and turn off all of the templates on the other cameras until this was re-added to the software because I thought that the fix was going to be relatively quick but that has not been the case. At the OP it still says "Retrieve & overlay weather from multiple locations" but with 1.6.0 that doesn't work and is greyed out. I was inquiring of a time frame for perhaps 1.6.1 to have that working once again. My cameras are spaced out over several geographic locations and monitor electronic sites and it is very handy to have those overlays include accurate outside weather conditions.

Beefarmer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think you missed "other cameras". I have one that displays the proper temperature from one location, but because we still don't have multiple locations operating in the software, the rest of my cameras all display 999 degrees. I was hesitant to do the work to go in and turn off all of the templates on the other cameras until this was re-added to the software because I thought that the fix was going to be relatively quick but that has not been the case. At the OP it still says "Retrieve & overlay weather from multiple locations" but with 1.6.0 that doesn't work and is greyed out. I was inquiring of a time frame for perhaps 1.6.1 to have that working once again. My cameras are spaced out over several geographic locations and monitor electronic sites and it is very handy to have those overlays include accurate outside weather conditions.
Gotcha! I did miss other, and multiple locations. My bad, with that said I too am unable to use multiple locations and look forward to the fix.

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@Mike

Is there any reason that the macros are limited to 9? I would like to be able to use a couple more than that, so wondering if there would be any way that you might be able to develop that in.

Thanks,
Aaron

Last edited:

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
@Mike

Is there any reason that the macros are limited to 9? I would like to be able to use a couple more than that, so wondering if there would be any way that you might be able to develop that in.

Thanks,
Aaron
Blue Iris only has 9 macros

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Is there any reason that the macros are limited to 9?
Blue Iris only has 9 macros
9 is the limit only in the UI.

Up to 99 macros are supported by Blue Iris and may be edited using this http command...
/admin?macro=x&text={text} Set macro number x=1-99 to value {text}

Note that {text} must contain only url-acceptable characters.
For example, a space must be %20, etc.

Files may also be assigned, e,g.,
&text=file:/C:\Blue%20Iris\My%20Overlays\bit\test.txt

Use this command to clear a macro...
/admin?macro=x&text=

Macros also may be edited directly in the registry using regedit.exe via key path
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris\Macros
Macros defined via regedit.exe may contain space characters.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMP

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
9 is the limit only in the UI.

Up to 99 macros are supported by Blue Iris and may be edited using this http command...
/admin?macro=x&text={text} Set macro number x=1-99 to value {text}

Note that {text} must contain only url-acceptable characters.
For example, a space must be %20, etc.

Files may also be assigned, e,g.,
&text=file:/C:\Blue%20Iris\My%20Overlays\bit\test.txt

Use this command to clear a macro...
/admin?macro=x&text=

Macros also may be edited directly in the registry using regedit.exe via key path
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris\Macros
Macros defined via regedit.exe may contain space characters.
Thanks so much for the tip! Now that I know that, I was able to create as many macros as I needed! I did it directly in the registry.

I put together a Python script that grabs Ohio River conditions data from a website and writes them to text files. I then created a Blue Iris Tools add-on that runs that script every time Blue Iris Tools retrieves the weather. So now I can have all the weather and river conditions info on my IP camera overlay.

CincyVision.png

Last edited:

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the tip!
You're welcome.

I do something similar with PHP scripts. Example below.
1) Current sun position info.
2) Multiple weather sources (OWM=openweathermap.org, DSN=darksky.net) & currency.
3) Automated guess of whether sky is sunny, based on #2.
4) Darkness level of image, and compensating backlighting setting.

The mask blocks out a stucco wall that is very bright on sunny days.
(It ended up being a great spot for overlays!)

1589220975092.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: AMP

chef13007

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the tip! Now that I know that, I was able to create as many macros as I needed! I did it directly in the registry.

I put together a Python script that grabs Ohio River conditions data from a website and writes them to text files. I then created a Blue Iris Tools add-on that runs that script every time Blue Iris Tools retrieves the weather. So now I can have all the weather and river conditions info on my IP camera overlay.

View attachment 61545

Great view of the river! Long shot, but any chance you have video from the flyover for the Reds Opening Day last year on 3/28?

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Great view of the river! Long shot, but any chance you have video from the flyover for the Reds Opening Day last year on 3/28?
Thanks! Just so happens I do: Too hard to use the PTZ to follow flyovers, so that's recorded from my phone.

Here's another one that was better from a Bengal's game in 2015

I have lots of river time lapses, flyovers, river incidents, accidents on the Brent Spence bridge on my YouTube channel Aaron Preslin if you are from or have ties to Cincy Aaron Preslin I usually Tweet them out too Aaron Preslin (@apreslin) | Twitter when I upload them.

This forum messes around with the links you post, so sorry about the weirdness in the way the links are formattted that I posted. Can't seem to stop it from doing that.

Last edited:

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Everytime my PC restarts the webserver watchdog updates the IP address of my server even after I put a static IP on it. Is this a bug?

I don't have auto ip check and it remain uncheck when it comes up, it still grab my nic's IP

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Mike Any ideas on why my Options Tab/Watchdog Tab and Web Site Tab are greyed out? I tried running app as Admin on Windows Server 2019 but still not working.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Jan 20, 2020
Rodger3876 said:
Sorry Not Weather underground, I have got away from them. PWS Weather, Ambient Weather or even Dark Sky?
Oh. Eventually I am hoping to do this, but it's not in the immediately plans just yet.

--------------------
Just purchased an Ambient Weather Station. And my dedicated IPC-T5442TM-AS weather cam should arrive by evening or tomorrow. I've read a number of posts about Blue Iris Tools. Is it my understanding that BIT "only" pulls the API from Weather Underground?
Would be cool to have MQTT input/outputs for home automation stuff :)

Last edited:

djh_wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hm. not sure what's gone on, but I installed this and messed about with the overlays etc for a day or two.

today, I ticked the 'watchdog' option and blue iris immediately dropped out, and the BIT screen kept reporting that BI was "running"....."not running!" every 5 secs or so. Watching the services tab in windows 10 shows the service is indeed running/stopping periodically.

Odd that after having this system up and running for a good few years now, that at the exact point I tick this option that I've never used before in an app I've had for less than 2 days, my BI setup is currently completely inoperative.

?

CapeData

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I would like to display "wind gusts" on my overlay. Is there currently any way to do this?