Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more!

Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more! 1.6.0

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The last few times, I've disabled BIT first, and then tried updating. Doesn't make a difference. It's been taking 2, 3, or 4 tries at updating to get BI to update without hanging...

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The last few times, I've disabled BIT first, and then tried updating. Doesn't make a difference. It's been taking 2, 3, or 4 tries at updating to get BI to update without hanging...
Good to know it's not BIT related specifically. I rummaged around the Blue Iris forum, found this thread BiUpdateHelper - fixed - Blue Iris not sure if it's referencing the exact same issue or not. but might be worth checking out. Might chime in or start a new thread and pay attention to the details of the behavior if it fails on the next time there's a Blue Iris update.

Last edited:

dis3as3d

n3wb
Reaction score
Strange. The ONLY way I could get updates to succeed is by disabling BI Tools.

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Strange. The ONLY way I could get updates to succeed is by disabling BI Tools.
I agree. I closed BIT and did an update a few days ago, no issue. Today, another update came in with BIT running (watchdog enabled), and the update hung. Tried multiple times, and would not go through until I disabled the watchdogs. Did a screen video capture, check it out here:

Last edited:

dis3as3d

n3wb
Reaction score
I agree. I closed BIT and did an update a few days ago, no issue. Today, another update came in with BIT running (watchdog enabled), and the update hung. Tried multiple times, and would not go through until I disabled the watchdogs. Did a screen video capture, check it out here:
Thanks for taking the time to upload a video! Exact same thing is happening on my side.

Reactions: AMP

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Me too... Same issue. Watchdog off, BI updates automatically. With it on, it crashes/hangs. I am also not seeing the update manager increase with the latest updates. In fact, BI used to have the "update.exe" in the BI installation folder after an update. Not any more. And in the list of downloaded/renamed updates, mine stops here back in early Feb.

Are others still seeing the renamed update.exe backups where they're supposed to be in the BIT backup folder?

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Me too... Same issue. Watchdog off, BI updates automatically. With it on, it crashes/hangs. I am also not seeing the update manager increase with the latest updates. In fact, BI used to have the "update.exe" in the BI installation folder after an update. Not any more. And in the list of downloaded/renamed updates, mine stops here back in early Feb.

Are others still seeing the renamed update.exe backups where they're supposed to be in the BIT backup folder?
I'm not sure how the updates really work under the hood, never really paid attention. But this thread BiUpdateHelper - fixed - Blue Iris might be relevant, Sounds like Blue Iris may have changed the location where the update.exe gets downloaded? Mine shows C:\ProgramData\Blue Iris\temp for the temp path which does have the update.exe from today (3/11/2020) in it. I also looked at C:\Program Files (x86)\Blue Iris Tools\BIUpdates and update-5.0.9.2.exe dated 2/1/2020 is in there.

@Mike Any thoughts on all of this?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for the follow up. I didn't find the update.exe, but I guess I didn't look beyond the root of the install directory. I'll point to the temp folder in BIT and see if that doesn't get me back to renaming the updates as they roll out. Hopefully they do even with the watchdog turned off.

ETA: Well, I guess I won't do that - as there doesn't appear to be a way to specify the source path for the update location. Guess we'll just have to wait for Mike :)

Incidentally, @Mike - if and when you do update the path to the new location for the update.exe, would it be possible to make that a user-configurable option? This way, if Ken changes the location in the future, it would preclude you from having to hard code it again.

Last edited:

stillgrey

n3wb
Reaction score
Using BIT with Ambient Weather and WU
It fails saying check internet. If I pick a random WU station it works. With my station it says failed but Actually gets the temp and humidity. Ambient Weather changed their dashboard yesterday :(
My weather station on WU says wind not available ? Personal Weather Station Dashboard | Weather Underground I do not have UV

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Using BIT with Ambient Weather and WU
It fails saying check internet. If I pick a random WU station it works. With my station it says failed but Actually gets the temp and humidity. Ambient Weather changed their dashboard yesterday :(
My weather station on WU says wind not available ? Personal Weather Station Dashboard | Weather Underground I do not have UV
Make sure there are no glitches between your PWS hardware and the WU website. IF WU shows your unit as off-line, that's the problem. In the past, if my PWS went off line, BIT would simply update (successfully) using the last know reported data. Not anymore. If it's off-line at WU, BIT will throw an error.

stillgrey

n3wb
Reaction score
Make sure there are no glitches between your PWS hardware and the WU website. IF WU shows your unit as off-line, that's the problem. In the past, if my PWS went off line, BIT would simply update (successfully) using the last know reported data. Not anymore. If it's off-line at WU, BIT will throw an error.
:) actually the thing says the battery is dead in the wind thing...........

Thanks, will report back after I get off the roof

stillgrey

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh well, went on the roof replaced the batteries (without testing them first) Still did not show up. Upgraded the firmware on ObserverIP Now the wind is still not working nor is outside temp that was.... Oh well I know wrong forum

stillgrey

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh well, went on the roof replaced the batteries (without testing them first) Still did not show up. Upgraded the firmware on ObserverIP Now the wind is still not working nor is outside temp that was.... Oh well I know wrong forum
just unlucky :) When I put batteries on the roof a sticker came off inside and sat on the bottom of the bat. Then I upgraded observerip and did not select my station so all I had was indoor. Long and short, once all my sensors came back online BIT works :)

stillgrey

n3wb
Reaction score
Says I can't access that setting using my standard Google account, must be a G Suite account. I have no idea.
I have free gmail, not gsuite. I got your error, then i flipped to allow less secure and it worked
try searching for enable less secure apps gmail

or if you are actuall connected with comcast, use that email