Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more!

Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more! 1.6.0

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I posted a project on Upwork.com and hired a developer to make me a custom app with a front end GUI that is going to use the API key and web link to write what I want to a text file the same as BIT does. Cost me forty bucks, I'll post it when its done.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, reading through all this great material has jogged my old brain....before we had BIT we used the personal API Key to directly interface Blue Iris to WeatherUnderground to get the data for weather overlays. That is the good news. The bad news is that I am much older now and cannot remember how we did that! Is anyone old like me and used to do that and kept better notes? That probably still works and can at least get a few of us up and going while Mike figures something out for the long run.
yeah i hear you. over my head and at this point in life i just want that easy setup BIT provided! go mike go :)

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
When it's time for testers send it my way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirk6665

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
dirk6665 maybe something like SiteShoter to save the image.
It can save images at an interval and crop them too if needed.
I gave it a real quick test and it seemed to work fairly well.
Hi Edcfish,

I did try using SiteShoter (that was one of the image parsing apps I tried first) ... because it captures a web page using IE (basically a web screen shot) - it had a lot of erroneous extra padding (see sample below)

weather.jpg

As you can see, a whole lot of extra padding. I did instruct it to remove the toolbars - and I know you can crop the image... but like a lot of other people on this board - I am looking for the semi-easy route. I don't want to have to figure out all the X,Y coordinates. After 30+ years of being in the computer hobby, I once would have grabbed this by the horns and wrote my own code to parse the page and grab the .jpg -- but I have a honey do list that takes priority these days... seems like when you have too many high-tech toys you spend your entire free time updating / upgrading and performing general maintenance (on top of the other real-world activities) and just when you think you're done -- it's time to start all over again :banghead:;)

I really appreciate your response however, and if a simple solution doesn't manifest in the near future - maybe I'll get ambitious and start pixel counting lol.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Hi Edcfish,

I did try using SiteShoter (that was one of the image parsing apps I tried first) ... because it captures a web page using IE (basically a web screen shot) - it had a lot of erroneous extra padding (see sample below)

View attachment 53991

As you can see, a whole lot of extra padding. I did instruct it to remove the toolbars - and I know you can crop the image... but like a lot of other people on this board - I am looking for the semi-easy route. I don't want to have to figure out all the X,Y coordinates. After 30+ years of being in the computer hobby, I once would have grabbed this by the horns and wrote my own code to parse the page and grab the .jpg -- but I have a honey do list that takes priority these days... seems like when you have too many high-tech toys you spend your entire free time updating / upgrading and performing general maintenance (on top of the other real-world activities) and just when you think you're done -- it's time to start all over again :banghead:;)

I really appreciate your response however, and if a simple solution doesn't manifest in the near future - maybe I'll get ambitious and start pixel counting lol.

Cheers!
just set capture area to 180 x 180 and it is easy. I am still deciding on whether it really updates properly though

dirk6665

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I was able to get a working solution with the Weather Underground API (listed under my member settings). Thanks to a long-time developer friend of mine, Blaize (https://www.blaize.net), I used this batch file placed in the Blue Iris Tools "txt" folder, combined with JQ and CURL for Windows (placed in the Windows Directory), and a task scheduler to call the batch file, I now have weather updates every 15 minutes. I used Blue Iris Tools to do the overlay for me.
Hi johndball,

So I took your programming example, downloaded CURL and JQ for Windows 64 and executed per your example. Works pretty well. Thank you for the idea and programming example. I've included a sample of my output in the image below. Still needs some fine-tuning on the alignment, but at least it's reflecting some of my weather data from my PWS.

security_screencap.JPG

73's

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
No need to look for other weather solutions, there is an update coming out real soon. Everyone make sure you have auto-update enabled.

I'm deploying BIT with two weather options, one requiring WU station ID only, and another that allows you to input an API key along with the station ID.

Stay tuned, more info and update coming soon.

dirk6665

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
No need to look for other weather solutions, there is an update coming out real soon. Everyone make sure you have auto-update enabled.

I'm deploying BIT with two weather options, one requiring WU station ID only, and another that allows you to input an API key along with the station ID.

Stay tuned, more info and update coming soon.
WOOHOO!!!! :ipct:

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
BIT is back in business! I just need a few people to test the main weather functionality as it's completely re-written and obviously pushed out faster than I would like. I will be posting the beta version in the BIT Beta section shortly. If you would like to be a beta tester, PM me.

I also added Dew Point, Solar Radiation & Precipitation Rate. I'll post everything new to the change log when I release.

1579371557942.png

dirk6665

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
BIT is back in business! I just need a few people to test the main weather functionality as it's completely re-written and obviously pushed out faster than I would like. I will be posting the beta version in the BIT Beta section shortly. If you would like to be a beta tester, reply here.

I also added Dew Point, Solar Radiation & Precipitation Rate. I'll post everything new to the change log when I release.

View attachment 54096
Ready and waiting Sir!

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
BIT is back in business! I just need a few people to test the main weather functionality as it's completely re-written and obviously pushed out faster than I would like. I will be posting the beta version in the BIT Beta section shortly. If you would like to be a beta tester, PM me.

View attachment 54096
Sign me up, how do I download it?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

View attachment 54096
PM sent, good sir.

XativaDavid

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'll be a happy Spanish beta tester, please add me to the list Mike. And a huge thank you for your efforts.