Blue Iris Video Tutorials

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've noticed that there are not a lot of video tutorials out there for Blue Iris. I have started a project of creating short (less than 10 minute) videos on different features and functions of BI.

Shout out to @fenderman - Thanks for helping me in this project of reviewing material and making sure the info released is accurate :)

Edit: I've been asked multiple times about ways to donate to support future videos. If you would like to donate/have donated thank you for your generosity. You can donate via paypal @ dasstrum@gmail.com

Thanks again for all the support. Hope these videos help!

A view video ideas I've come up with are:
Basic settings and layout
Reviewing recorded video and exporting
Alerts and setting up text messages on motion
Motion detection settings
Video playback
Tips and Tricks
ect...

Here are the videos released so far:

1. basic layout and design

2. How to review and export

3. Working with profiles

4. Working with profile schedules

5. Triggers: Basics of Motion Detection

6. Quick Tip: Saving and restoring settings

7. Camera Resolution/Megapixel

8. Triggers: Object Detection

9. Installing UI2/3 remote view web page

10. Zones and Hotspot

11. Zone Crossing
Blue Iris - Zone Crossing

12. Record Tab Basics
Blue Iris - Record Tab Basics

13. Clips and Archiving Part 1
Blue Iris - Clips and Archiving

14. Clips and Archiving Part 2
Blue Iris - Clips and Archiving Part 2

15. Flagging and Protecting Clips
Blue Iris - Flagging and Protecting Clips

16. Picture/Text on Motion Detection
Blue Iris: Picture Message from Motion

17. Watchdog Feature
YouTube

18. Web Interface (UI3)
YouTube

19. Web Commands (PTZ presets and Triggers)
Blue Iris - Web Commands (PTZ and Triggers)

20. Cloning Cameras... WHY?
Blue Iris - Cloning Cameras...Why?

I am open to feedback and suggestions/ideas for future videos and content.
So, there is no way to set an in and end point for a certain camera and to export the same time frame from other cameras all at once?? That seems like a major shortcoming.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So, there is no way to set an in and end point for a certain camera and to export the same time frame from other cameras all at once?? That seems like a major shortcoming.
no. this is not available on NVR's either. youll survive i promise. how often do you intend to export video from multiple cameras?
you can email support and ask for the function or alternatively check out network optix at 70 dollars per camera but missing lots of other features BI has.

devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great videos. Just wondering, you say you normally only use zone crossing during the day (to cancel shadow movements). But how do you cut down on false triggers during the night then ?

Canuckz

n3wb
Reaction score
Great videos. Just wondering, you say you normally only use zone crossing during the day (to cancel shadow movements). But how do you cut down on false triggers during the night then ?
Yeah, I am struggling with the same thing regarding shadows and lights from cars driving down the street at night as well. I keep trying to play with settings but still have so many false triggers. The videos have been a tremendous help though for other stuff.

inspector

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Watched video on UI3 - but could not remember my Log details - put wrong ones in - now cannot log in using Chrome - any suggestions where i find my login detail for BI using chrome UI3 - cheers
Peter

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Watched video on UI3 - but could not remember my Log details - put wrong ones in - now cannot log in using Chrome - any suggestions where i find my login detail for BI using chrome UI3 - cheers
Peter
Go to Blue Iris "Options", then "users", highlight the user then select "Edit" and go put in new password and write it down somewhere.

BTW, Blue Iris has great built-in "Help" (the big question mark at the top).

inspector

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi tony - thanks for that
Just another question about the BI tutorial:- is there some where where all the tutorials are in one place.
I seem to find them scattered everywhere - because they are extremely helpful.
How do I get in touch with the author of these - he is to be commended
cheers' Peter

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just another question about the BI tutorial:- is there some where where all the tutorials are in one place.
cheers' Peter
His username on this forum is @Dasstrum

His YouTube channel (HomeTech Video) is here.

Last edited:

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
cheers' Peter
On the front page of this thread I have links and descriptions for each video

inspector

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Dasstrum
I must sincerely thank you for uploading such informative videos in regards to Blue Iris.
I have a quick question:- I have a camera in France due to the poor/slow French network it keeps going off line and then back on line.
As the camera goes off & On - I get a email message every time. I checked the Alerts/Action section and nothing is ticked - so why do I get an email message - its got me beat

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Dasstrum
I must sincerely thank you for uploading such informative videos in regards to Blue Iris.
I have a quick question:- I have a camera in France due to the poor/slow French network it keeps going off line and then back on line.
As the camera goes off & On - I get a email message every time. I checked the Alerts/Action section and nothing is ticked - so why do I get an email message - its got me beat
Check watchdog profile in alerts. That's is what's sending email when cam goes offline

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
Dasstrum love your BI walkthrough videos!
I learned the basics the hard way, reading, searching, tinkering + trial and error. You videos are perfect. I still picked up loads of great tips in the videos. I really appreciate the time, effort and the quality of the content in your videos. Thank you!

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nice work for a new like me it really will be helpful, can you do a video about configuring remote access? Do you need to do this to get the BI app to work?

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nice work for a new like me it really will be helpful, can you do a video about configuring remote access? Do you need to do this to get the BI app to work?
You must configure port forwarding on your router to access BI from outside your network.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
If you dont want to port forward. Check out openvpn setup