Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English

steve6690

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think it's fairly obvious I meant
he can't upgrade to English 5.3.0. Chinese firmware is useless to him I imagine.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well that the above is not accurate really, yes you can update your camera's but remember they are Chinese camera's so there for will require Chinese firmware to update them, ( unless they were originally 5.2.5 or 5.2.8 as they won't upgrade at all ) what I have done is create a ghosted firmware of 5.3.0 with the front end of 5.2.5 to give the the multi-languages, the camera you have is totally fine and working as it should, I'm testing the 5.3.0 English for Chinese cameras when I'm happy with it I will release it. Now back to my cool aid.
WOW that's great news, So I guess your saying keep the cameras and enjoy the money saved? Will you be posting the new firmware on this thread or someplace else?? Just want to make sure I am notified when you post your great work.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I only post here on this forum, and all my releases are free
as i don't own the firmware i never wrote it just adjusted it to how it should be lol,
yes enjoy your camera's at the cheap price you paid for them, as there have been no major changes to this firmware since 5.1.6 the only thing thats has happened is the introduction of forced strong password, which you should do anyway with any OCTV System, which IP camera's are.
(open circuit tv).
But some who think they know better will say other wise lol.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I only post here on this forum, and all my releases are free
as i don't own the firmware i never wrote it just adjusted it to how it should be lol,
yes enjoy your camera's at the cheap price you paid for them, as there have been no major changes to this firmware since 5.1.6 the only thing thats has happened is the introduction of forced strong password, which you should do anyway with any OCTV System, which IP camera's are.
(open circuit tv).
But some who think they know better will say other wise lol.
Thank you for getting back to me so quick, What I meant was are you going to post the new firmware in this thread or someplace else in this forum? Also will I be able to use the Hikvision tools to update the new firmware or will I have to use TFTP? I sure hope I don't have to use TFTP every time.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It will be a new post when released, hopefully the web update will work as it will be an upgrade not a downgrade.

steve6690

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I, for one, am very grateful for the time and effort invested by the gurus on here.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree with you 100 percent.

Anyone who says otherwise. Is trying to sell you the "Brooklyn Bridge", while simultaneously trying to claim they are clairvoyant on what future firmware releases will and won't include for the short and long term future, as well. Don't drink their Kool-Aid!

Here are a list of the recent ("Documented") firmware changes for NVR/DVR 3.3.1 and IP Cameras 5.3.0:

http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4348-Hikvision-IPC-Firmware-v5-3-0-New-Features-Release-Notes-PDF

Note: People who are trying to make U.S. versions run on Chinese region IP Cameras should be commended for that. The same cannot be said about statements being made that "5.3.0 or newer versions of firmware have no value and therefore nobody needs or will ever need to upgrade".

If that was truly the case. Then no attempt should be made to work on creating a version of firmware for Chinese region IP Cameras for 5.3.x. or any other future firmware version.

Ego never trumps logic. Better to say "Currently we are working on a 5.3.x firmware version that can be used on Chinese region IP Cameras. We are not there yet, but hope to be there soon" vs. not owning up to the facts that there are valuable changes in the 5.3.x that even exceed security fixes. The link above proves that and it only covers documented firmware changes.

Just because a kluged version of 5.3.x is not yet ready for Chinese region IP Cameras does not justify those making false statements and unsubstantiated claims, that not only is there no reason to upgrade to 5.3.x firmware, but there are no valid reasons to upgrade to ("any") firmware version in the short or long term.

I call statements like that, to be going well and way beyond, a little white lie indeed, based on EGO alone without any supporting facts.

One can't have it both ways. One can try, but it in the end, it makes one look silly at best, while trying.

If there are no reasons to upgrade to 5.3.x and future firmware versions? Then stop wasting time trying to create a kludged 5.3.x firmware version that can be used on IP Cameras with a Chinese region ("Since it would be worthless anyway") or own up to the fact that there are valid reasons to upgrade to 5.3.x and future firmware versions and that you are working on getting that done for IP Cameras with a Chinese region. But you're just not there yet.

Additionally. It sure couldn't hurt to create a "Black List" of what sellers are selling Hikvision IP Cameras as U.S. region versions that are really Chinese region versions and where. So that those people who want to freely be able to upgrade firmware as needed and are willing to pay the price for that. Know what sellers to avoid.

Why that's not being done now amazes me. Why there is not also some "White List" of what sellers to trust to buy real U.S. Hikvision region IP Cameras is just as equally amazing.

It would appear that there are not enough posts here yet from people who wanted U.S. region IP Cameras and got rolled instead by sellers and got Chinese region IP cameras instead to justify any white and black lists being created here.

Don
Hi Don,
I could not agree with you more on the "Black List White List" subject, As you it just amazing that there is no way to tell when purchasing these cams what the heck your getting till its to late. I was reading a post over on Amazon yesterday that someone thought they where getting a US version but turns out it was not so the seller responded "We also sell the US version for a little more" Wait WHAT:mad-new: So they carry both Chinese & US versions but no place on the product page did it state that, I even went to the sellers store page on Amazon and that's only showing them having one undocumented version of the camera. Something really needs to be done to protect the buyer, These sellers should be forced into disclosing what version they are selling as part of the terms & agreements for selling on sites like Amazon.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It will be a new post when released, hopefully the web update will work as it will be an upgrade not a downgrade.
I am very glad that you think the web update should work. Would it be possible to post a link in this thread when that new firmware is ready? I don't visit this site to much in fact I think I spent more time on this site in the last two days then in the last 2 1/2 years I have been messing with IP Cameras. One more thing & I am not rushing you but do you have a time frame when you think this firmware will be ready? I respect when devs take there time in testing so the end-user gets a good stable product.

jm23bg

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
I have Chinese 2632F IS On the box "V5.3 150327" and "05/2015" though in remote config it is 5.2.5 and all seems to be English
Is there any way I can get it back to 5.0.2 which seems be the last version I can get it to work with my NVR GVD Software and in English?

hirez

n3wb
Reaction score
@whoslooking: Thank you, thank you thank you! I bought my camera from Aliexpress' CCTV China, and it came with English 5.2.5 FW. I upgraded it to 5.3.0 which bricked the whole thing. I've spent the past ~8 hours tftp'ing and cussing to no avail. Even tried to read that Russian forum :) Finally found your posting an voila! It works :)

Again, thank you Sir!

For future reference: what is the correct procedure to upgrade the firmware of these Chinese (apparently hacked?) cameras so that the GUI stays English and especially wouldn't brick the camera?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The best thing to go with, is if it works and works well leave it alone, just because they release a firmware doesn't mean use it.

All new realese are just for region control measures at the moment, always check here at ipcamtalk first.
I'm happy you have a nice working camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

snoop69

n3wb
Reaction score

tschow

n3wb
Reaction score
Does this downgrade also work for hikvision DS-2DE -series with 5.3.0 ?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It Should do but, I've not tested as I don't own one.

As long as it runs on the ds-2xx2 firmware if it has it's own then no.

Edit: No this will not work with that model, it has it's own firmwarm.

Reme

n3wb
Reaction score
I think it is not useful to DS-2DE , because DS-2DE is a PTZ camera. It is totall different firmware with 2xx2 camera

snoop69

n3wb
Reaction score
My mistake, I not let after completion TFTP long enough turn on the camera. Already all works.Thanks

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My mistake, I not let after completion TFTP long enough turn on the camera. Already all works.Thanks
Well done another happy customer, It's good to leave the positive feedback so others can see this works and works well.

Enjoy your multi-Language camera