Dahua NVR 5216-16P-4KS2

Rx7_Ben

n3wb
Reaction score
I do not have an SD card installed in either camera, is this a requirement? I apologise for my naivety, I'm pretty green on the whole thing.
I did indeed set the area, for testing purposes, I just highlighted the whole screen. Is this ok for testing? I don't have either camera installed yet, just bench testing.

No triggers are observed in live view on the cams, nor in the playback screen.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No, a SD card is not required. Would be easier to see if the problem consists in you NVR or IPC configuration, or maybe both :)

Rx7_Ben

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah I see, should I install an SD card in them and test further perhaps?
The turret has just started detecting motion for no apparent reason, the dome has not. I'm pulling my hair out haha. This is just silly.
The dome has now started cooperating. No settings altered. How bizarre! Hopefully some minor teething issues and not an indication of something more sinister at play.
Thanks for your help so far, it's very much appreciated.

Sixto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Similar motion detection issue here, had just installed the NVR and been playing with the motion settings.
I do see motion events in the camera log, but no non-green color in the NVR timeline.
Does the camera "record" button in motion settings need to be checked? I left it off because it's always recording 24/7.
I just checked the "snapshot" button, figured that may be a good thing to have.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Similar motion detection issue here, had just installed the NVR and been playing with the motion settings.
I do see motion events in the camera log, but no non-green color in the NVR timeline.
Does the camera "record" button in motion settings need to be checked? I left it off because it's always recording 24/7.
I just checked the "snapshot" button, figured that may be a good thing to have.
If you set up your NVR to schedule snapshots for that channel you should get snaps of your motion triggers. If you check "record" in the MD settings your NVR should also record video (if scheduled for that channel) and mark the timeline with yellow marks. but if you are also recording 24/7 you'll get yellow marks in your green timeline, and the video will have some gap in record.

idiskjock

n3wb
Reaction score
Any advice on putting ipcams in a specific order when viewing on the NVR? My first ipcam starts at #6. Slots 1-5 would be footage repeats of the ipcams on slot 6 and up. The delete button deletes them but each ipcam comes back on the list and I cant get it to start on slot 1.

Sixto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you set up your NVR to schedule snapshots for that channel you should get snaps of your motion triggers. If you check "record" in the MD settings your NVR should also record video (if scheduled for that channel) and mark the timeline with yellow marks. but if you are also recording 24/7 you'll get yellow marks in your green timeline, and the video will have some gap in record.
So if you're already recording the channel 24/7 do you need to check the "record" button in the motion settings to get yellow in the timeline? Thanks!

Sixto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hmmm. I thought you just needed to enable motion in the camera settings, but I just looked at the NVR settings for that channel and that seems to be different (non-enabled). So I'm thinking I should enable motion detection on the NVR settings page, not the camera settings page?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So if you're already recording the channel 24/7 do you need to check the "record" button in the motion settings to get yellow in the timeline? Thanks!
That was my experience. The NVR actually makes a separate recording for events like Motion Detection and IVS.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmmm. I thought you just needed to enable motion in the camera settings, but I just looked at the NVR settings for that channel and that seems to be different (non-enabled). So I'm thinking I should enable motion detection on the NVR settings page, not the camera settings page?
I enabled both to record events to local SD card and 24/7 and snapshots are scheduled on the NVR.

Sixto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the 5216 NVR and the 5231 camera, and a Mac/iPhone/iPad. This is my initial test setup.
For viewing and playback ... SmartPSS (Mac) & IDMSS (iPhone/iPad) work fine.
For the 5231 camera, I can get access from Safari on the Mac, using the web service, and that also seems fine.
For the 5216 NVR, I can not get the web service to work at all from Safari on the Mac since updating to the 2017-04-18 firmware.
I get the NVR login screen, but nothing happens after I enter the userid and password.
I've also tried Firefox on the Mac, and I can get logged in to the NVR web service, but no video will show for the camera channel.
I've tried re-installing the web plugin, but no luck. I downloaded the web plugin from the Dahau website.
For the camera, the plugin came when I logged into the camera.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

Sixto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Figured it out.
All the web service access issues are due to issues with the plug-ins and Safari.
It actually got worse when I enabled IVS. I started having issues (plug-in failure) when accessing the camera web service.
When I switched to my wife's windows laptop with IE, it all works perfectly.
This isn't optimal, I'd rather use my Mac, but at least now I can configure IVS.
I saw several comments here about using Pale Moon, but haven't yet figured out how to install the plug-in into Pale Moon.
Next up is getting IVS to work properly, and getting events to show in the NVR timeline.
I was able to set a Tripwire event, and it did show a color in the NVR time, but when I tried an Intrusion event that doesn't show.
I also noticed that the NVR IVS section only shows Tripwire, not Intrusion. Wonder if related to the new 2017-04-18 firmware.

Question: When configuring a new IVS rule, do you guys just do that via the Camera Web UI, without any need to touch anything on the NVR Web UI?

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Question: When configuring a new IVS rule, do you guys just do that via the Camera Web UI, without any need to touch anything on the NVR Web UI?
With the actual firmware on the NVR, both ways should work. I prefer the WebUI of the camera, but for those attached to the PoE ports of the NVR it's easier to use the NVR WebUI.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did anybody manage to downgrade the firmware back to the version from 2016-07-21? Seems this has some trouble with SmartPSS and iDMSS with the control of multiple PTZ. :smash:

Sixto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
With the actual firmware on the NVR, both ways should work. I prefer the WebUI of the camera, but for those attached to the PoE ports of the NVR it's easier to use the NVR WebUI.
When I enter the IVS Tripwire on the camera, it doesn't always show on the NVR for that channel. When I enter the Tripwire on the NVR for that channel, it seems to show on the camera as well, and in the NVR timeline, thus I'm only changing it on the NVR for now. I'm on the 2017-04 firmware.

I have a Tripwire setup at the front of the house. It's a straight line across the entire front, so that if anyone crosses into the front walkway (to the front door) or the driveway it goes off. It has been working fairly well so far, with a few exceptions: 1) have the 1-2 second gap at the start & stop of the Tripwire clip, 2) some false alarms when people walk by and the sun is behind them causing a shadow of their body across the Tripwire, 3) similar issue at night when a car drives by and shadows from the car headlights cross the Tripwire. I need to tweak/play with this some more.

It will be nice when they fix the 1-2 second gap issue, but I like having the orange bar show in the timeline.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just wanted to know if someone was able to go back from the 2017-04 firmware to the 2016-07.
With WebUI I could only flash between Generic and DH, but if I want to flash an older one it seems to flash but is still the 2017-04.
And with this version I've problems in SmartPSS and iDMSS. If I try to control any PTZ only one specific is controlled, even if it's not shown in the live view. That's a PITA
If I find the time I'll try to flash with the config tool or USB.

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just got the NVR 5408-8P-4KS2, not sure if is the expected behavior, but the optical zoom of the cameras, using the proprietary protocol, doesn't work, tried with IPC-HFW8232E-Z (the bullet ultra starlight) on the network and the IPC-HDW5231R-Z, the last one connected directly to one PoE port of the NVR, PTZ on the NVR is set to 'Remote', funny thing, if I switch the connection method from 'Private' to ONVIF', the optical zoom work, directly via the NVR, as well as connecting the NVR with the SmartPSS .... Someone has noticed this behavior ?

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just got the NVR 5408-8P-4KS2, not sure if is the expected behavior, but the optical zoom of the cameras, using the proprietary protocol, doesn't work, tried with IPC-HFW8232E-Z (the bullet ultra starlight) on the network and the IPC-HDW5231R-Z, the last one connected directly to one PoE port of the NVR, PTZ on the NVR is set to 'Remote', funny thing, if I switch the connection method from 'Private' to ONVIF', the optical zoom work, directly via the NVR, as well as connecting the NVR with the SmartPSS .... Someone has noticed this behavior ?
These models are varifocal cams and no PTZ, so the PTZ control doesn't work for them. You could adjust the zoom if you select the focus by right clicking the corresponding channel. I think someone said the zoom might be available directly with the actual NVR firmware. Didn't tried it so far.

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The optical zoom (the varifocal) works if I use ONVIF rather than their protocol, on tcp 37777

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For sure their own PTZ protocol is more precise to control exactly the corresponding features. With ONVIF it might work because there is a more generic command used. But the varifocal is not intended to zoom in and out as you are bored. It's mentioned to fit your cam in your location and that's all ;)