Dahua NVR can't add wireless cameras

photogeek54

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm having trouble adding wireless cameras to my NVR5208 NVR. I already have several POE cameras up and working on 10.1.1 subnet but I want to add several wireless cameras on the 192.168.1 subnet. Yes I've read the Cliff notes and the "NVR & POE Switch thread" and the "***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch" thread. The cameras I want to add do show up when I do a "device search" on the camera registration page and I can add the cameras successfully directly to DMSS and smartpss just not to the NVR. One camera is an Amcrest and another is an Onvif Axis camera. Can the NVR add cameras on its own 192.168.1 subnet?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm having trouble adding wireless cameras to my NVR5208 NVR. I already have several POE cameras up and working on 10.1.1 subnet but I want to add several wireless cameras on the 192.168.1 subnet. Yes I've read the Cliff notes and the "NVR & POE Switch thread" and the "***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch" thread. The cameras I want to add do show up when I do a "device search" on the camera registration page and I can add the cameras successfully directly to DMSS and smartpss just not to the NVR. One camera is an Amcrest and another is an Onvif Axis camera. Can the NVR add cameras on its own 192.168.1 subnet?
Hi @photogeek54

How many cameras do you have on the PoE ports of the NVR?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

If they show up on the Reg page why cant you add them? Are they showing a 192.169.1.x address on the Reg page? Can you show a screen shot?

Yes you can have both PoE port cameras on the 10.1.1.x net as well as external switch cameras on the 192.168.1.x net as per below

comboPoEandExternalswitch.jpg

photogeek54

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can add them but they show up "red". Yes they show up on 192.168.1 subnet. The amcrest shows up as manufacturer private and the others show up as Onvif. I'll send a screen shot when I can. It seems to take several hours before they show up in the device search part of the window after I've made configuration changes.

photogeek54

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have1 Dahua and 1 Amcrest camera on the POE ports. Unlike bigredfish's example my wireless cameras are Amcrest and Onvif if that makes a difference. I'm using the web interface of the Dahua NVR.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have1 Dahua and 1 Amcrest camera on the POE ports. Unlike bigredfish's example my wireless cameras are Amcrest and Onvif if that makes a difference. I'm using the web interface of the Dahua NVR.
Hi @photogeek54

Many amcrest cameras are Dahua OEM and you should be able to add them manually in the NVR ( Dahua OEM )

What is the NVR's LAN ( like the "WAN" port on a router ) port IP?
Is your LAN 192.168.1.x ?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I can add them but they show up "red". Yes they show up on 192.168.1 subnet. The amcrest shows up as manufacturer private and the others show up as Onvif. I'll send a screen shot when I can. It seems to take several hours before they show up in the device search part of the window after I've made configuration changes.
So you CAN add them...
The red dot simply means the expected password the NVR is seeing is wrong. After you add them, Click the pencil icon on one of the ones with a red dot and edit the login/pass info and make sure and choose the “private” protocol in the drop down box.

Note that the password typically is the same one the NVR uses. The camera assumes the NVR password on newer Dahua cams when plugged into the PoE ports of a Dahua PoE NVR .

photogeek54

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Router is 192.168.1.1
NVR WAN port is 192.168.1.108
Camera I'm trying to add are 192.158.1.101 (onvif) and 192.168.1.150 (amcrest Ip2m-841W).
The user name and passwords are the same as the NVR, I'm able to log into these camera's directly so I know the password is correct.
New news: I got into the Onvif camera by changing the manufacturer from Onvif to Axis! I verified that the Onvif username and password were the same as the web login but can't get into this camera or the Amcrest via onvif.
Could these cameras just be too old and something's changed in the protocol?

Attachments

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On the screen does the camera show anything like "account locked"? Any message for the one not working? Do you have the 150 camera port forwarded in your router with 37777?

photogeek54

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, I got the axis cameras working by changing the manufacturer to Axis rather than Onvif but I still have 1 samsung SNH-P6410BN Smartcam HD Pro ONVIF camera that I can access via VLC using the open network stream "rtsp:/192.168.1.226/onvif/profile5/media.smp " but won't open on the NVR. the NVR says "failed to get camera properties" and "failed to open video". I'd like to be able to access Onvif cameras which is why I'm still working on this. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hey @photogeek54, were you able to get this working? Sorry for bumping an old thread but figured easiest to carry on here rather than open a new thread.

Getting my setup done and just received my equipment from Andy. Outdoors seem set but I need a couple wifi cameras indoor (and the reolink wifi doorbell.. couldn't do poe doorbell can't get cable there sadly without a lot of brain damage) to talk to my dahua poe nvr & record. I'm not at all sure how to go about getting the nvr to see wifi cameras from a wiring and config standpoint (photo seems to have managed to at least get them acknowledged) - do I plug an access point (I have unifi gear) into a port on the nvr and then have the wifi cameras connect to that specific ap?

Any advice from @bigredfish and others would be most appreciated.

Thanks

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not a network guru, but step 1 is can you see/access these wifi cameras on your network? (Same network as your NVR)

What brand cameras are they?

With the cameras plugged into power are you able to discover them with the NVR by hitting the Search by IP button on the registration page?

Reaction score
I should have clarified, I only have the Poe cams and NVR currently, have not yet bought the wifi cameras since I didn't know how to set them up in my config. I intend to keep all cams on the same blocked vLAN.

My doorbell arrives soon, so I'll test with that and report back (hopefully over the weekend).