Dahua NVR Reboots during the day

ChooChooman74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine (5216-4ks2 NON-POE) has been reboot free. Currently got one WD Blue drive that I had laying around until I place an order of Purples. I just added IVS and tracking to my PTZ. Got between 4 and 5 cams operating/testing.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've got the problem of dropped frames on event triggers, which apparently doesn't happen to everybody. I've been "pulling my hair out" trying to isolate this one, with no success so far.
I've got that too, plus the reboots. If others didn't have the same issues, I would have already asked @EMPIRETECANDY if I could return it. :banghead: :cool:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
we need to figure out if this is hardware issue, a config issue, or software bug.. if its not a hardware issue then swapping out NVR's is unlikely to resolve it and just be a big waste of resources.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed, that's what I thought I was saying. :) Since others have the exact same issues, I'm not asking @EMPIRETECANDY to return mine. It'd be different story if my NVR was the only one...

Last edited:

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Which models are you guys experiencing this with?
NVR5216-4KS2 (non PoE)

I think in the end it would be nice to see what 0x06 means.
Agreed.

I've got the problem of dropped frames on event triggers, which apparently doesn't happen to everybody. I've been "pulling my hair out" trying to isolate this one, with no success so far.
Yes, i'm also having the dropped frame issue. I feel as though these issues are due to a software glitch. When troubleshooting you have to look at you've changed which could have affected things and in my case it was using IVS more.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I couldn't chance it so I just went with (4x) NVR5216-16P-4KS2's. These are being "handed" off to family and friends once set up. I already provide all my friends and family with IT support constantly (you guys in the same boat know what I mean!). Don't want countless calls, which I'm already expecting, about my NVR not working. I do hope we can solve this issue though. That's just the IT engineer side of me wanting to know, and add to the database. 3288 - 0. Never been stumped yet! ;)

SD

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I couldn't chance it so I just went with (4x) NVR5216-16P-4KS2's. These are being "handed" off to family and friends once set up. I already provide all my friends and family with IT support constantly (you guys in the same boat know what I mean!).
Know it all too well, then I have real clients which require the same :). As you said, obtaining an answer to a problem whether it benefits you directly or indirectly is knowledge which may help you down the road. With regards to my NVR it's been solid all day, yet yesterday I had 4 reboots... I hate intermittent problems.

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This exact problem plagued me for years...

When we were carrying Dahua we started noticing the same random reboot issues with multiple versions of the NVRs. At first we thought it was the HDD causing the issue because the logs would report a "slight" error most of the time it occurred but after replacing the HD it would continue on some units. I noticed that the older NVRs (5000 series) series would say "Abnormal Reboot" whereas the newer 4000 and 4000-4k series would say "protection reboot" sometimes.

I've had a firmware resolve it on a few occasions. Also, a 100% factory default would sometimes help as well.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Know it all too well, then I have real clients which require the same :). As you said, obtaining an answer to a problem whether it benefits you directly or indirectly is knowledge which may help you down the road. With regards to my NVR it's been solid all day, yet yesterday I had 4 reboots... I hate intermittent problems.
Intermittent problems are the worst, I've managed to escape being everyone's tech support for the most part, certain people can call me, the rest better pony up, lol.
NVR4204/4208/4216/4232 | Dahua Technology

That's the one I have and plan on installing shortly. I have the 8 channel version. I sure hope this sucker doesn't have a reboot problem.
How many cameras do you have now? I've been watching the rest of your camera youtube videos, lol that's not weird is it? I've got cameras on the brain.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
How many cameras do you have now? I've been watching the rest of your camera youtube videos, lol that's not weird is it? I've got cameras on the brain.
I have seven. I planned on keeping my analog Dvr in line and just import the ptz channel into a channel on the nvr, which would fill out the nvr to eight channels. This was three years ago and I had really just invested the bucks into the analog ptz and the Dvr from security camera king, so I didn't want to pull that stuff out at the time. But I invested in the dahua nvr and seven dahua 3mp cameras, one being a 4300c and the others being turrents that I'm sure are great because I checked them, but they are no longer produced by dahua. That was three years ago. Currently now, I don't mind pulling the Dvr out and also replacing the analog ptz. So I'm on the verge of a complete new install of my three year old gear that has been sitting and waiting, lol. My back has to agree though, and that's the trick. I have two opertunities a year, spring and fall. No way I can take my attic in the summer. Hopefully this is the year.

If you really want to know why I've stalled for so long, it's that my analog system still looks good. For all that megapixel can provide, let's be honest here, it's only giving a high definition image of suspects hiding their identity in the first place. We know this. It's mostly a losing crap shoot, this game of catching a thief on camera. But of course, I'm invested and on board with megapixel, if only I'd install it!

I digress, sorry.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I have seven. I planned on keeping my analog Dvr in line and just import the ptz channel into a channel on the nvr, which would fill out the nvr to eight channels. This was three years ago and I had really just invested the bucks into the analog ptz and the Dvr from security camera king, so I didn't want to pull that stuff out at the time. But I invested in the dahua nvr and seven dahua 3mp cameras, one being a 4300c and the others being turrents that I'm sure are great because I checked them, but they are no longer produced by dahua. That was three years ago. Currently now, I don't mind pulling the Dvr out and also replacing the analog ptz. So I'm on the verge of a complete new install of my three year old gear that has been sitting and waiting, lol. My back has to agree though, and that's the trick. I have two opertunities a year, spring and fall. No way I can take my attic in the summer. Hopefully this is the year.

If you really want to know why I've stalled for so long, it's that my analog system still looks good. For all that megapixel can provide, let's be honest here, it's only giving a high definition image of suspects hiding their identity in the first place. We know this. It's mostly a losing crap shoot, this game of catching a thief on camera. But of course, I'm invested and on board with megapixel, if only I'd install it!

I digress, sorry.

I get it man, I definitely don't necessarily expect that if I get broken into again they will do it without some kind of masks on and etc. etc. BUT there are enough stupid criminals that there is a pretty good chance, plus if you're going to go through the trouble of having camera you may as well have a nice lookin picture. Other than that they can serve as proof to the insurance company that you actually got broken into and all of that. But if analog works for you then go with and forget the haters lol.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Analog works, but it's not what I prefer of course. A full system failure would be a good kick in the ass to get me motivated. But the damn system just keeps working, lol! And that's the rub actually. Analog cameras just keep on going where network cameras get pissy and glitchy at times. Definitely a bit more baby sitting along the way, imo.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Analog works, but it's not what I prefer of course. A full system failure would be a good kick in the ass to get me motivated. But the damn system just keeps working, lol! And that's the rub actually. Analog cameras just keep on going where network cameras get pissy and glitchy at times. Definitely a bit more baby sitting along the way, imo.
of course, old tech, less things to go wrong, more reliable, those things will run forever, you just have to find someone who wants to buy them....or get another DVR and demote all of the analog cameras to less important install locations, or make them over view cams that won't get shit for detail anyways.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For all that megapixel can provide, let's be honest here, it's only giving a high definition image of suspects hiding their identity in the first place. We know this. It's mostly a losing crap shoot, this game of catching a thief on camera.
There are literally thousands of videos on youtube as well as many on this forum that prove otherwise..both faces and plates are captured that would not be possible with analog (at least not with large lenses and many more cameras)..

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not arguing analog being better at this point. But there was analog long before megapixel so how many more thousands of videos busting people might there be, lol. What is always frustrating is that most times no matter how great the camera, it only provides clues and not positive id.

The 2mp system I installed at a daycare center helped solve a serious string of armed robberies in the area a couple years back. A heroin attic was holding local gas stations and convenience stores up at gun point. He hit the subway store one night in the same shopping center as the daycare. The subway had analog cameras. It didn't matter anyway, he covered his face. To make things worse, they Dvr's time was completely off. He swung by the daycare center when he was driving off. What my system provided was an exceptional picture of the truck (no plate), time evidence, and the direction he turned when leaving. Plus 45 minutes of parking lot prior to the crime in which he met an accomplice. All that combined with traffic red light cameras got it done. I was very pleased seeing the pictures from my system on the news.

So yeah, I get it. But anyone here that doesn't admit it's a crap shoot most times isn't being realistic. The best defense and deterrent remains a good dog, lol. I love great cameras that are well installed and it can help big time. But it's a crap shoot. There's a ton of great shots out there of hoodies, that's for sure!

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not arguing analog being better at this point. But there was analog long before megapixel so how many more thousands of videos busting people might there be, lol. What is always frustrating is that most times no matter how great the camera, it only provides clues and not positive id.

The 2mp system I installed at a daycare center helped solve a serious string of armed robberies in the area a couple years back. A heroin attic was holding local gas stations and convenience stores up at gun point. He hit the subway store one night in the same shopping center as the daycare. The subway had analog cameras. It didn't matter anyway, he covered his face. To make things worse, they Dvr's time was completely off. He swung by the daycare center when he was driving off. What my system provided was an exceptional picture of the truck (no plate), time evidence, and the direction he turned when leaving. Plus 45 minutes of parking lot prior to the crime in which he met an accomplice. All that combined with traffic red light cameras got it done. I was very pleased seeing the pictures from my system on the news.

So yeah, I get it. But anyone here that doesn't admit it's a crap shoot most times isn't being realistic. The best defense and deterrent remains a good dog, lol. I love great cameras that are well installed and it can help big time. But it's a crap shoot. There's a ton of great shots out there of hoodies, that's for sure!

Amen, I am under NO delusion that my cameras will 100% for sure get an ID of someone who wants to fuck with my car at night, break into my house, etc. But I've got alarm stuff to alert me of someone breaking in, and a dog who fucking hates everyone with the heat of a billion suns and freaks the fuck out when he hears a butterfly fart in africa so guarenteed anyone thinking about breaking in hears the dog barking at them before they even try, and that is most likely more of a deterrent than any camera.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Back on topic, my dahua Dvr, yes Dvr, gets into a reboot thing every once in a great while too. A nvr I installed does it too sometimes. It seems to stop on its own though. Comes and goes and when it's goes it doesn't do it again for seriously long stretches of times, like a year or more. Intermittent. Never got to the reason why.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Actually most times you do get a great ID with properly placed HD cameras.....its only on rare occasions that masks are used...that is because putting on a mask and leaving it on immediately discloses that you are a bad guy. Most of the time the footage is simply terrible cif/d1 and wide angle so it cannot be used.