Dahua NVR Reboots during the day

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Back on topic, my dahua Dvr, yes Dvr, gets into a reboot thing every once in a great while too. A nvr I installed does it too sometimes. It seems to stop on its own though. Comes and goes and when it's goes it doesn't do it again for seriously long stretches of times, like a year or more. Intermittent. Never got to the reason why.
See the post above by ryanodan..he knows a thing or two about dvr's/nvr's:)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Actually most times you do get a great ID with properly placed HD cameras.....its only on rare occasions that masks are used...that is because putting on a mask and leaving it on immediately discloses that you are a bad guy. Most of the time the footage is simply terrible cif/d1 and wide angle so it cannot be used.
What about in residential though?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Same thing...the mask is a fable based on old tv shows...yes, its still used, but its rare..
interesting, I'd think it would be common if they know you have cameras but maybe people are just dumb or don't care, that's cool, better for us.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Masks? no, cant walk arround at night w/a mask on you.. cops will be on your ass in a moment.

Bandana's or hoodies they though are normal enough to be innocuous, last winter some came through with snow on the ground so they didnt seem out of place really wearing gloves, hoods, and bandanas on a 10 degree night if they had to work late or whatevr bullshit excuse the'd give if questioned by cops.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Who said anything about masks? I'm not arguing with the fact that really good cameras that are well placed can't be helpful. Actually I'm not arguing at all, lol. But seriously folks, why do you think crime happens on camera? Why wouldn't cameras prevent crime? You think the douch bags breaking into cars and stealing shit in general just woke up yesterday? They know in these times we live in, cameras abound. They are on camera and they know it. They also know that a simple hoodie and bandana is usually all it takes to reduce the chances of camera ID by a seriously wide margin. It's that simple. Nayr had a great video of shots fired. It's a great ID of the make of the car and the time it happened. But nothing more unless pieced together with other evidence. Guys walking by his car looking for the poor schmuck who left his car open. Nice video of those kids but nothing conclusive. They swim and we fish, that's all. Cameras help solve some crime and they're useless regardless of our best efforts too. Doesn't stop them, doesn't stop us. But absolutely, fly the best cameras you can. No argument there. And hopefully the most important thing after the camera doesn't crap out or randomly reboot; the recordings of it all.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Masks? no, cant walk arround at night w/a mask on you.. cops will be on your ass in a moment.

Bandana's or hoodies they though are normal enough to be innocuous, last winter some came through with snow on the ground so they didnt seem out of place really wearing gloves, hoods, and bandanas on a 10 degree night if they had to work late or whatevr bullshit excuse the'd give if questioned by cops.
in Florida it's illegal to wear a mask if you're over a certain age, for whatever that is worth lol
Who said anything about masks? I'm not arguing with the fact that really good cameras that are well placed can't be helpful. Actually I'm not arguing at all, lol. But seriously folks, why do you think crime happens on camera? Why wouldn't cameras prevent crime? You think the douch bags breaking into cars and stealing shit in general just woke up yesterday? They know in these times we live in, cameras abound. They are on camera and they know it. They also know that a simple hoodie and bandana is usually all it takes to reduce the chances of camera ID by a seriously wide margin. It's that simple. Nayr had a great video of shots fired. It's a great ID of the make of the car and the time it happened. But nothing more unless pieced together with other evidence. Guys walking by his car looking for the poor schmuck who left his car open. Nice video of those kids but nothing conclusive. They swim and we fish, that's all. Cameras help solve some crime and they're useless regardless of our best efforts too. Doesn't stop them, doesn't stop us. But absolutely, fly the best cameras you can. No argument there. And hopefully the most important thing after the camera doesn't crap out or randomly reboot; the recordings of it all.

I think that is why LPR cams are getting more and more popular, that and optics that can reach out far enough are affordable now, the info you get, the better.

Reaction score
Add me to the list with the same error, and reboot issue. Mine occured within seconds of an intrusion event ending. I could replay the video, and noticed it looping. It played the same scene over and over until I stopped it. About 36 hours earlier, I updated the firmware on the one cam (5231R-Z) I have, and went from PAL to NTSC. I also have the NVR5216-4KS2 non-poe model, just purchased about a month ago with (1) 4tb Purple.

I'm hoping we get an answer to this, real soon.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Add me to the list with the same error, and reboot issue. Mine occured within seconds of an intrusion event ending. I could replay the video, and noticed it looping. It played the same scene over and over until I stopped it. About 36 hours earlier, I updated the firmware on the one cam (5231R-Z) I have, and went from PAL to NTSC. I also have the NVR5216-4KS2 non-poe model, just purchased about a month ago with (1) 4tb Purple.

I'm hoping we get an answer to this, real soon.
Sorry to hear that your NVR is in the club too. @EMPIRETECANDY , how do we move forward with support on this reboot issue?

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that your NVR is in the club too. @EMPIRETECANDY , how do we move forward with support on this reboot issue?
Starting to feel sentiments that @RyanODan expressed. As posted before I changed my power brick out on the 30/03/2017 which 3 reboots within 1/2 hour of each other followed, wondered what I had gained. But for the past 5 days I have been reboot free... even with IVS and all.

I believe there is something to be said about the correlation between the reboots occuring shortly after an IVS event but as it doesn't happen every time it's hard to determine what exactly sets it off.

I've reached out to @Korgoth and he's going to see what he can do about it and a few other issues I mentioned. Contacting Dahua as an end user in Australia is pretty hopeless as they just refer you to the local reseller who then won't help you either unless you are an installer and purchased the product through them.

So hopefully if we can get @EMPIRETECANDY, @Korgoth and @TVT73 on this problem something can be done. I have the same concerns as you @aristobrat.

This has me concerned that if I ever have something happen, I may miss something in that 1-2 seconds of missing frames.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Starting to feel sentiments that @RyanODan expressed. As posted before I changed my power brick out on the 30/03/2017 which 3 reboots within 1/2 hour of each other followed, wondered what I had gained. But for the past 5 days I have been reboot free... even with IVS and all.

I believe there is something to be said about the correlation between the reboots occuring shortly after an IVS event but as it doesn't happen every time it's hard to determine what exactly sets it off.

I've reached out to @Korgoth and he's going to see what he can do about it and a few other issues I mentioned. Contacting Dahua as an end user in Australia is pretty hopeless as they just refer you to the local reseller who then won't help you either unless you are an installer and purchased the product through them.

So hopefully if we can get @EMPIRETECANDY, @Korgoth and @TVT73 on this problem something can be done. I have the same concerns as you @aristobrat.
hey buddy,
Could you please send me a full detail to my emai? kingsecurity2014@163.com, i will show dahua guys on Wednesday when they back to work?
Forum too much message, hard for me to watch all issues which you guys have right now. Will follow up well for you guys.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
hey buddy,
Could you please send me a full detail to my emai? kingsecurity2014@163.com, i will show dahua guys on Wednesday when they back to work?
Forum too much message, hard for me to watch all issues which you guys have right now. Will follow up well for you guys.
Working on something now for you Andy. I understand it's hard for you to keep track of everything on here with everything else you do. I will include comments from members on here which relate to this problem but also others in my email to you since it's not just me troubleshooting this, the greater hive mind is at work here.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
guess I'm glad I don't have an NVR, they seem pretty buggy and have lots of strange issues lol.
Thought you were thinking of changing away from BI to an NVR? I haven't lost hope in the NVR and all these issues which are making it buggy can be fixed in a firmware update. When I set out to order all this gear I just wanted something easy which could be configured and hidden inside my data cabinet.

Recently I have been wondering if I should switch to BI. I know it's more than a fan favourite around here and the cost is attractive but something bugs me about investing in hardware for a software which seems stalled and I know that comment is going to attract a bit of heat but it's my personal observation.

Few reasons which might get me to move would be if the motion detection was smarter than Dahua's built in IVS and had the ability to privacy mask freely without having a limit of 4 boxes. Still trying to master IVS.

Also I don't believe we have the availability of these ultra-cheap desktops @fenderman always suggests, don't hold me to this as I haven't had a good look around.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Recently I have been wondering if I should switch to BI. I know it's more than a fan favourite around here and the cost is attractive but something bugs me about investing in hardware for a software which seems stalled and I know that comment is going to attract a bit of heat but it's my personal observation.
Your personal observation is wrong...why would you say the software is stalled? Makes no sense...what did you "personally observe"? For the record here is a list of changes since Jan 22 2017. You are putting way to much trust in a quick fix from dahua...if it is ever resolved it will take months.

4.5.3 - March 31, 2017

• Fix for browser clips list

• Security updates for FTP client components

• Security updates for web server including cache-control headers for video files. HTTP authentication now takes precedence over URL authentication.
4.5.2 - March 21, 2017

• Stability updates for Sealevel E120 and other Ethernet DIO models

• "Console: has died" issue experienced by some users when running as a service has been addressed

• Support for Generic/HLS (HTTP live streaming) camera sources

• A time-lapse output feature has been added to the Convert/Export page. You may specify the speed factor (time multiplier) and output fps. The option is currently only available when used from the viewer with BVR source files.

• The system tray icons have been enlarged and re-rendered. Several new icons have been added to show Triggered, Paused, and Alert states. The icon will be cycled to reflect all applicable states.

• A new custom date formatting code %D may be used to add the English "st, nd, rd, th" to a day of the month value
4.5.1 - February 13, 2017

• Stability issues with Ethernet based SeaLevel devices have been addressed. A driver issue eventually causes a software crash and appropriate work-around measures have been implemented.

• Stability and quality issues with ReoLink cameras have been addressed. A firmware issue causes RTSP quality and device instability. However, newer versions of the ReoLink firmware support RTMP streaming instead, and this appears to work well. A new make/model device entry has been added for this on both the Video/Network and PTZ tabs. You must still set the camera's H.264 encoding to "base line."

• The 64-bit version of the software no longer appears to run on Vista 64 bit. This may be due to a number of OS updates and DLL incompatibilities which we are unable to resolve. The preferred solution would be upgrade to Windows 10 64-bit, but we have found that the software does continue to run on 32-versions of both Vista and XPSP3 (or you may select 32-bit when installing the software even on the 64-bit OS).

• The software is now compiled with Microsoft's latest Visual Studio 2017 RC.

• Video components updated
4.5.0 - January 22, 2017

• Added integration with Amazon Echo via physical device emulation. Begin Amazon Echo discovery via a new button on the Options/Mobile devices page. A "Blue Iris" device is added, along with a device for each camera where you have configured its Amazon setting. See the Mobile devices Help topic in order to learn about this integration.

• Memory leak bug fixed in RTMP/S device streaming (some Nest and Dropcam).

• Fix for issue with convert/export to AVI format

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Thought you were thinking of changing away from BI to an NVR? I haven't lost hope in the NVR and all these issues which are making it buggy can be fixed in a firmware update. When I set out to order all this gear I just wanted something easy which could be configured and hidden inside my data cabinet.

Few reasons which might get me to move would be if the motion detection was smarter than Dahua's built in IVS and had the ability to privacy mask freely without having a limit of 4 boxes. Still trying to master IVS.

Also I don't believe we have the availability of these ultra-cheap desktops @fenderman always suggests, don't hold me to this as I haven't had a good look around.
I was considering it, but they both have their ups and downs and I think I'd be in here in two weeks bitching about the downsides of an NVR lol. I dunno about BI being stalled, it's a one man OP and I think he's got a normal day job, it would be awesome if it would support IVS from the dahua cams though, maybe if a bunch of us submit a request, I've already submitted mine. As for the desktops, I got a refurb dell from the dell outlet for about $630, it was a little higher than some of the stuff I've heard about on ebay but I didn't want to wait around for one to pop up.