Dahua NVR Stopped sending emails

Peter Lea

n3wb
Reaction score
After several power outages my Dahua NVR stopped sending emails
and even after resetting it to default and re-entering all parameters no way to send email
the status is online and averything work fine, the email account has no problem and the mobile application works perfectly,

I did not flash it yet, but I dont know if a firmware upgrade will solve the problem

IMG_20190124_182312.jpg

AlbertoIt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Probably something has changed in your internet or email provider.

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ive seen numerous reports today about Gmail blocking various things.... dont know the specifics, but it seems logical that could be your problem..

So glad I have my own email server

Peter Lea

n3wb
Reaction score
OK after several tries and some tips over the net,
I realised that using port 587 and TLS encryption " Sometimes " it works

Really bizarre !

upload_2019-1-25_12-1-17.png

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you set up firewall rules to block LAN to WAN traffic/closed all the ports?

If so, the camera/app may have lost the ability to resolve smtp.gmail.com, hence won't be able to send the emails.

For me, making a rule to allow TLS/port 587 was not enough. I also had to make a rule to allow DNS/port 53. As well, the port 53 rule had to be before the port 587 rule.

Peter Lea

n3wb
Reaction score
Assuming you have proper Gmail SMTP server (smtp.gmail.com), port (587) & cert. protocol (TLS) set up, have you also logged into your Google account and configured it to "Let less secure apps access your account" ?

If no joy try this suggestion from @crw030 .

Thanks for the tips @TonyR and @crw030 but less secure apps access is already activated on my gmail account
upload_2019-1-25_22-31-38.png

Have you set up firewall rules to block LAN to WAN traffic/closed all the ports?

If so, the camera/app may have lost the ability to resolve smtp.gmail.com, hence won't be able to send the emails.

For me, making a rule to allow TLS/port 587 was not enough. I also had to make a rule to allow DNS/port 53. As well, the port 53 rule had to be before the port 587 rule.
In my case the dvr is connected directly to a 4G modem with disabled firewall, and there is no problem resolving smtp from laptop or android device using that modem

the problem started just this week, everything was fine for months before

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, not sure what to say then.

All that I can say further is in the last 30 days my system has sent 774 emails through a Gmail account, including 100 on 25 Jan alone, each one of those 100 with two attached snapshots. Again, not from Dahua NVR, but from a combination of Blue Iris server and directly from Dahua IP cameras.

Since you already mentioned less secure apps are allowed, that, and no apparent restriction on my end at the aforementioned email volume, suggests it's not Gmail proper. However, what exactly Gmail looks at in any given case who really knows besides Gmail/Google? :idk:

Out of curiosity, do you know what your email notification volume had been prior to the current issue?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I tend to agree with @Whoaru99.

I have been using Blue Iris and BI Tools to send e-mails via G-mail successfully for some time with "allow less secure apps" enabled on G-mail.
Yesterday I turned it "off" in G-mail, performed a test with Blue Iris, it was unsuccessful and I received an e-mail to my secondary account of the attempt, image below.
I re-enabled "allow less secure apps" in G-mail and it tests successfully.
I wish I could offer more assistance.

Google-warn.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
without knowing the number of emails these nvrs are are sending and the burst they send them in fact that blue iris works is meaningless...the mere fact that many users started having this issue at the same time and only with Gmail indicates that it's a Gmail issue it is impossible for all these dahua NVR is to fail at the same time with this specific issue.

icecoffee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Like I said on the other thread. Recently Google seems to enforce their rule about the max number of email an account send a day. Once it happen, if you send an email from that account, it will bounce back. Their block last 24 hours.

It could be that they're about to shutdown Google Inbox in March and revamp the Gmail app.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In these threads about it, it sounds like if they use the Gmail account directly it works. Just not from the Dahua NVRs. Maybe I read it wrong?

Presuming, for sake of discussion I didn't read that wrong, if the account had a 24-hour (or whatever) lock down would it work at all, regardless Dahua NVR or directly?

Peter Lea

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, not sure what to say then.

All that I can say further is in the last 30 days my system has sent 774 emails through a Gmail account, including 100 on 25 Jan alone, each one of those 100 with two attached snapshots. Again, not from Dahua NVR, but from a combination of Blue Iris server and directly from Dahua IP cameras.

Since you already mentioned less secure apps are allowed, that, and no apparent restriction on my end at the aforementioned email volume, suggests it's not Gmail proper. However, what exactly Gmail looks at in any given case who really knows besides Gmail/Google? :idk:

Out of curiosity, do you know what your email notification volume had been prior to the current issue?
upload_2019-1-26_17-7-8.png

As you can see the email volume was more important two weeks before that issue

But I can also mention that the rainy days have generated more alerts

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Mmmm...that is a lot of email. Considering that, it seems more plausible Gmail may interpret the volume as something of concern.

I still might be inclined to opine it's not really a Gmail "problem" but rather the root is a problem of motion settings causing too much traffic.

Recent tweaks to settings in my rig looks like they addressed a big chunk of the nuisance notifications...so far, anyway.

icecoffee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's not Dahua NVR, it's Google that's blocking the account activity. You can't send email out, it will bounce back in 10 seconds.

When it first start about a month ago, they block it after 200 snap shot emails per day. That is because Dahua NVR send 3 emails for each event. Now it seems they only count the email with attachments. The limit now seems to be at 560-570 per day.
Also they enforce the rule more strictly on weekdays than weekends. I suspect they testing out the rule and have someone monitor the threshold number.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
After Peter posted his email volume I'm in agreement that Gmail has some blocking as you've described.

So, the solution, since I doubt Gmail is going to relax much their policy in this regard is, either find a different email service that allows tons of messages and attachments, or refine the motion alert/trigger settings to cut back the number of notifications. The latter is the better way, IMO, but to each his own I reckon.

icecoffee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Gmail has the max number of email allow per day from my experience.
What I did is using 2 gmail accounts to alternate. Switch them in the middle of the day no matter if they got blocked or not.