Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
it is funny that the spec sheets for fixed lens cameras don't indicate the close in focus distance.
"Focus Control: Fixed
Close Focus Distance: N/A"

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys. While I am waiting for my 2 cameras, can someone please suggest the best locations for install?
I am thinking:
1 above the garage door towards the road
1 in the right corner towards the garage
I also want to buy a cheaper camera to point towards the road to capture license plates of the cars passing by.
Can you please recommend a camera (cheaper than 5231 if possible), lens option and the best location to place it.
Was thinking in the same right corner, just don't know how 2 camera would look like right next to each other
Help appreciated

upload photo album online

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5231 is the sweet spot. You definitely want varifocal in those one of those areas as well.
Hi guys. While I am waiting for my 2 cameras, can someone please suggest the best locations for install?
I am thinking:
1 above the garage door towards the road
1 in the right corner towards the garage
I also want to buy a cheaper camera to point towards the road to capture license plates of the cars passing by.
Can you please recommend a camera (cheaper than 5231 if possible), lens option and the best location to place it.
Was thinking in the same right corner, just don't know how 2 camera would look like right next to each other
Help appreciated

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Today shipped out 120pcs HDW5231R-Z out, tomorrow do the left 80pcs, this time can ship total 200pcs out, some 0rders may not enough stock to ship, but i will try my best to close all the orders, if not enough, have to ship some fistly as we do before for those guys bought 10pcs, for example ship 4-5 firstly.
Tomorrow will have 1 day off for the public holiday. For the Apri.13th, have 110pcs in, April.20th, another 350pcs in. This is the ETA for this model right now. Can't book too many, too big money covered. If any guys can wait, we can do some pre-sales now. Just contact me via email is better. thanks.

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
how many have you sold to ipcamtalk users. sounds like 1000+ over the last few weeks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Help appreciated

I've given up on the "looking right" part as the better FOVs and better security cameras just don't seem to match well with the aesthetics of a building. ( how many wives here would have liked to see us install the tiniest and minimal amounts of cameras possible? )

I would consider placing a camera or 2 along or above the front wall to reduce blind spots.

Granted you may not have issues in your neighborhood - but walls like that some people in larger cities enjoy tagging.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I've given up on the "looking right" part as the better FOVs and better security cameras just don't seem to match well with the aesthetics of a building. ( how many wives here would have liked to see us install the tiniest and minimal amounts of cameras possible? )

I would consider placing a camera or 2 along or above the front wall to reduce blind spots.

Granted you may not have issues in your neighborhood - but walls like that some people in larger cities enjoy tagging.
after someone went through my wifes glove box because she forgets to lock her car, or maybe just doesn't care, I've got the full go ahead for cameras and have not received any restrictions on looks or placement lol.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
after someone went through my wifes glove box because she forgets to lock her car, or maybe just doesn't care, I've got the full go ahead for cameras and have not received any restrictions on looks or placement lol.
So, your house has been burglarized, yet she doesn't lock the car doors. Wow.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Happens to the best of us, grab some kids or groceries or something out of the car and your hands are full and next thing you know your car been molested by a smelly homeless person..

I have a nightly routine before going to bed of checking all doors are locked, activate night locks on front/back doors then grab the keyfobs and click the lock button while watching the front door display to see the lights blink (I've disabled chirp on arming).

Newer cars w/Keyless entry know if there is a key in the car or not; IMHO they should have a setting you can go set a timer for like 9PM every day lock doors (as long as a key aint in it, or else u might lock ur self out)

The new Audi has an app that can lock/unlock the doors from anywhere via cell link; would be cool if I could setup Automator to hit that button every night..

rracctv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Today shipped out 120pcs HDW5231R-Z out, tomorrow do the left 80pcs, this time can ship total 200pcs out, some 0rders may not enough stock to ship, but i will try my best to close all the orders, if not enough, have to ship some fistly as we do before for those guys bought 10pcs, for example ship 4-5 firstly.
Tomorrow will have 1 day off for the public holiday. For the Apri.13th, have 110pcs in, April.20th, another 350pcs in. This is the ETA for this model right now. Can't book too many, too big money covered. If any guys can wait, we can do some pre-sales now. Just contact me via email is better. thanks.
Andy,

Sent you a PM and an email to get a paypal invoice sent to me. Is that still the way you want it done? If so, can you make sure I am on your list?

Thanks

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hope my order is included in the batch shipped out today. I am eager to get these up.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Happens to the best of us, grab some kids or groceries or something out of the car and your hands are full and next thing you know your car been molested by a smelly homeless person..

I have a nightly routine before going to bed of checking all doors are locked, activate night locks on front/back doors then grab the keyfobs and click the lock button while watching the front door display to see the lights blink (I've disabled chirp on arming).

Newer cars w/Keyless entry know if there is a key in the car or not; IMHO they should have a setting you can go set a timer for like 9PM every day lock doors (as long as a key aint in it, or else u might lock ur self out)

The new Audi has an app that can lock/unlock the doors from anywhere via cell link; would be cool if I could setup Automator to hit that button every night..
I also have a keyless car and coded it with VCDS to lock the car if no key is inside and you close the drivers door.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
didnt know u could code that behavior, thx.. I have a VCDS sitting right here, will have to look into it.. I take it it locks when you close hatch/trunk? Thats my Achilles heel is there is no touch sensor to lock the hatch and my hands are full when im walking back past the drivers door to swipe the door handle and lock it.. guess it'd lock when I got out and relock when I closed again, my brain dont want to lock doors when im about to open another door so Ive had issues trying to reprogram my behavior.

Oh well the Golf goes back to VW Crusher this Friday :-\ I'll look into it when im recoding the new Audi for my preferences.. deleting the seatbelt chime, disable arming beep, video in motion, auto unlocking when shut off, and now auto relocking once the drivers door shuts :D

Last edited:

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll look into it when im recoding the new Audi for my preferences.. deleting the seatbelt chime, disable arming beep, video in motion, auto unlocking when shut off, and now auto relocking once the drivers door shuts :D
Super cool you have the ability to do this type of stuff.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
So, your house has been burglarized, yet she doesn't lock the car doors. Wow.

Welcome to my world, she doesn't leave anything valuable in there, so, whatever, it's her car, I had to get another 2x4 today to get another starlight turret up onto to test, today was kinda shitty, not sunny but very humid and rainy so my progress was not much but I pretty well know where everything is going now so it will be up tomorrow unless it rains all day or something stupid, I'll have more SD cards in tomorrow also for all of the cameras.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Suggest placing a camera in location 1 on or along the wall as marked in blue.

If that is a mailbox on the front of the wall under the blue ? and/or you stack park your cars on your driveway I would also consider the location marked with a blue ?
I would not want to put the cameras on the front wall. Never saw anyone doing it here - may be considered government land, don't know. And I am sure some teens would want to knock these off the wall - just because.
If I just wanted to watch the road (from the corner of the house), is there a cheaper camera that would be able to capture enough details to recognize plate numbers? $170 is a bit pricey for the purpose, given that its IR lights would be unlikely to reach the road to get these details at night.
I guess I can install the 2 (that I am hoping will come from the latest batch (Andy?)) that are on its way, and point the one in the corner towards the road and see if it gets the details

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would not want to put the cameras on the front wall. Never saw anyone doing it here - may be considered government land, don't know. And I am sure some teens would want to knock these off the wall - just because.
If I just wanted to watch the road (from the corner of the house), is there a cheaper camera that would be able to capture enough details to recognize plate numbers? $170 is a bit pricey for the purpose, given that its IR lights would be unlikely to reach the road to get these details at night.
I guess I can install the 2 (that I am hoping will come from the latest batch (Andy?)) that are on its way, and point the one in the corner towards the road and see if it gets the details
This one is slightly more expensive, but if you're looking for a higher zoom capability and even more IR light, check out the new Z5 bullet (Some excellent comparison pics in the thread).

Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet Z5 7-35mm (IPC-HFW5231E-Z5)