Dahua Ultra Starlight Varifocal Bullet (IPC-HFW8232E-Z)

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I might put it back up, but we shall see it was right at the road with the 10' easement. So was a little on the bright side, so I bought the 50w and will use it till I decide if I want to put the 100w back up. This way I will always have a back up light if one goes out.

Might get lucky and them put in a 4 way stop or a speed cushion on my street within 15-20' either direction so might be easier to get lic plates with at night.

gansle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Heres mine top right screen with 100w. It looks clearer because of light reflecting off snow but usually is fuzzy normally. I have 3 fixed dahua 3mp think 1320 but night vision sucks. Want to upgrade to starlight ultra after seeing Nayr's pics/ youtube videos.

Attachments

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So far I have my pole installed it is a steel Sch 40 pole 14', buried 3.5' in the ground. See the attached pic on location from the street.

My set up consists of the following:

NVR 5216-16P-4KS2 (1) 4TB Purple (1) 1TB Purple WD

Starlight cameras are as follows:

1. IPC-HFW-5231E-Z w/ PFA121 junction box

2. DH-SD59230U-HNI w/ (2) PFA120 Junction box, and (2) PFA150 for pole installation

Going to try and see if I can use the PFB303S mount with the PFA150 and customize it to work with the top of the pole.
Non-Starlight:

1. IPC-HFW-5220E-Z w/(2) PFA-121 Junction boxes, and (2)PFA152 to pole mount.
I also so far have the 2 microseven mics

Really was hoping to have the IPC-HFW-5231E-Z & PFB303S by now with the PFA121.

Everything else I have so far, Cat 6 is terminated, ran the conduit, going to install the NVR tonight and then it is just put the cameras up at that point.

Was hoping that it would have been in for the entertainment from the drunks from super bowl but guess that action will be left up to the crappy nest cameras to get those clips.

See link as to how close my cameras are to the street and captures the drunks as it is…. You can see the 2 bars in the distance…

https://video.nest.com/clip/13566e368c424c8bb79f46cb44e3b046.mp4

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats gonna be an awesome setup; kinda jelly.. I'd love to own a pole mounted at the street.. kinda been hoping some drunk would take out my light pole and then I'll trench a cable out there before they manage to get it fixed and toss the repair guys some cash to look the other way while I string it inside heh.

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hope so Nayr, I have spent quite a bit of time doing my research on here and learning as much as I can. Looking forward to having it all complete, but have a feeling it will be always work in progress and additions to come.

It is a little over the top and my wife says I am crazy, but she still lets me be and do what I want so cant complain...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats when you know you got a keeper; all females are bound to think your crazy.. but its the good ones whom embrace your crazy :p

Korgoth

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Same here

Wysłane z mojego SM-G935F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Reaction score
Hi Nayr,

very nice. I'm looking forward to see your review.

But

such a sensor doesn't exist. It is the Sony IMX185 and this is not a starvis-sensor. ;-)
Technically it could be an IMX178LQJ in 1/1.9 which is Starvis. That would be great. I agree with you though that it looks like it might be the IMX185LQJ in 1/1.9 which is Exmor. The only thing that makes me think it's maybe a IMX178LQJ is that I think I saw that later in the thread somebody mentioned a firmware update that enabled 3MP which would seem to be above the stated size of the IMX185LQJ.

Source: Products Image Sensor for Industry | Sony Semiconductor Solutions Corporation

Reaction score
Excellent review and great information by Nayr. This camera looks like the total package. Almost? I am seriously liking this camera. I had 3 questions:

1. I saw a comment about 3MP being enabled with a firmware update. Does this camera have a greater than 2MP sensor or is it like 2.4 or something and it's just being labeled 3MP?

2. I saw this camera had audio in and out but it doesn't look like it has a built in microphone. Does anybody know if this is an available option? Anybody know a good external mic to hook up that doesn't require additional power if I'm using PoE (or can be run itself by PoE even if I have to do an additional run)?

3. This is likely due to the heater but the stated wattage was ~13. I'm not sure if this is rounding or what. This also may have been mentioned before but I don't think fully addressed. The boundary for 802.3af is 12.95 watts assured after dissipation. I think I have seen Dahua revise some units to 802.3at after originally posting a spec sheet saying 802.3af. I was wondering if for any reason my 802.3af Netgear Prosafe GS108PE would refuse to power the device on identification, rather than overload, grounds? I do not intend to use the heater and would get one without it unless it was too much effort to acquire.

Thanks!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Excellent review and great information by Nayr. This camera looks like the total package. Almost? I am seriously liking this camera. I had 3 questions:

1. I saw a comment about 3MP being enabled with a firmware update. Does this camera have a greater than 2MP sensor or is it like 2.4 or something and it's just being labeled 3MP?

2. I saw this camera had audio in and out but it doesn't look like it has a built in microphone. Does anybody know if this is an available option? Anybody know a good external mic to hook up that doesn't require additional power if I'm using PoE (or can be run itself by PoE even if I have to do an additional run)?

3. This is likely due to the heater but the stated wattage was ~13. I'm not sure if this is rounding or what. This also may have been mentioned before but I don't think fully addressed. The boundary for 802.3af is 12.95 watts assured after dissipation. I think I have seen Dahua revise some units to 802.3at after originally posting a spec sheet saying 802.3af. I was wondering if for any reason my 802.3af Netgear Prosafe GS108PE would refuse to power the device on identification, rather than overload, grounds? I do not intend to use the heater and would get one without it unless it was too much effort to acquire.

Thanks!
1. No idea what your talking about, this is a 2MP camera and no firmware will change that.

2. In the first post there are several links to: Bullet Mic Review

3. Your switch would surely power it up; now if it could provide enough power to prevent overload.. shrug.. the last normal PoE switch I had could output 14W per port.. but yes this is technically a PoE+ device w/the heater.

Reaction score
Latest Firmware: DH_IPC-HX8XXX-Nova_Eng_P_Stream3_V2.420.0000.8.R.20161223.bin
Code:
New features:
1. Support smart plan (new intelligent protocol)
2. Support smart codec
3. Support 32/48/64K audio sampling frequency
4. Support regional AWB
7. Support high frame rate 1080P@60fps/3MP@60fps

Optimizations & bug fixes:
1. Unify user authorities of different device end
2. Optimize ANR function that the resolution of ANR video will stay the same with camera's  recording stream
3. Fix CGI bug -- no voice of two-way talk: http:///cgi-bin/audio.cgi?action=postAudio&httptype=singlepart&channel=1
Ive applied this to my ultra starlight w/success, YMMV.. proceed at your own risk.
Sorry Nayr I may have misunderstood this other post. I saw the "3MP@60fps" and that brought up the question. Normally I would never believe someone that said a 2MP cam can now be set to 3MP but I also saw that Sony made the IMX178 in 1/1.9 and then wasn't sure. I see this firmware may be for more than one model in the 8000 series and they may not have been talking about this specific model.

Thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ah yeah, this firmware is also applicable for the: IPC-HFW8331E-Z and thats a 3MP UltraWDR variant.. quite common for firmware to be applicable to a wide variety of cameras.. Just installed firmware listed for a 4MP camera on my new 2MP Starlight PTZ

Reaction score
ah yeah, this firmware is also applicable for the: IPC-HFW8331E-Z and thats a 3MP UltraWDR variant.. quite common for firmware to be applicable to a wide variety of cameras.. Just installed firmware listed for a 4MP camera on my new 2MP Starlight PTZ
That of course brings up the grass is greener question of has anybody tried the 8331E-Z? I know people have said that going up in megapixel seems to have negative effects on the night vision. I was wondering if there were any more gains to be had at 3mp. The camera is touting 140db WDR. I always find myself wanting just a little bit more detail than 2mp so I can zoom. It's also a situation where if you were going to go $320 you might as well go $400 if you were trying to get exactly what you want. I also personally like the idea of having a SoC that outperforms my usage. So if there was an upgraded SoC, I would maybe use the upgraded camera at 2mp 60fps for example. Then I would have some processing headroom at least. The SoCs always seem to be where they skimp and the reliability and bottlenecking with features is so annoying especially when the wholesale prices of the upgraded SoCs just are not that much more.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There's a vast difference between the Ultra WDR cameras and Ultra Starlight Cameras.. the 2MP UltraWDR camera does not come close to comparison to the 2MP UltraStarlight.. the 3MP UltraWDR is not even considered a starlight camera and it dont come with SSA or big sensor or anything that makes this UltraStarlight kick ass

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
This is why you strategically place choke point cams so you get that close up shot, and ptzs help

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I like 4mp cams for daytime viewing (matches my 1440p monitor) but the extra detail in the day doesn't make up for the quality drop at night over a good Starlight or Darkfighter 2mp. Considering that most of my past problems have occurred at night, when predicting the future time of problems it's the most important. Even if you were just as likely to have problems in the daytime then the improvement in detail with 3-4mp gear in the sunlight over 2 isn't nearly as much as the improved image at night with a Starlight. Sooo, advantage Starlight.

Reaction score
I like 4mp cams for daytime viewing (matches my 1440p monitor) but the extra detail in the day doesn't make up for the quality drop at night over a good Starlight or Darkfighter 2mp. Considering that most of my past problems have occurred at night, when predicting the future time of problems it's the most important. Even if you were just as likely to have problems in the daytime then the improvement in detail with 3-4mp gear in the sunlight over 2 isn't nearly as much as the improved image at night with a Starlight. Sooo, advantage Starlight.
I completely agree with you. Somebody hit and ran a cluster mailbox at night and my cam caught it. It was good enough video to identify everything that happened and somebody got the plate number but the police couldn't charge the vehicle owner because we couldn't prove who was driving. If my night vision was better it would have been able to show his face. I ended up with just enough video to prove something happened but not do anything about it. Better night time image is exactly what I have been dying for. It's really the only reason I'd spend so much upgrading cams. Most cams do well enough during the day. I guess higher megapixel starlight at night is just too much to ask for with the current generation of tech.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the big sensor ultra-4k PTZ's seem quite capable; but I think thats largely in part to some very high power IR (38W w/IR).. someone posted some videos in a well lit urban area and was surprisingly good.. they cost a bloody fortune tho, at least for residential use

Korgoth

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You guys should try those 12MPx HFW81230, 1/1.7", expensive but image quality is great!

Wysłane z mojego SM-G935F przy użyciu Tapatalka