Dahua Ultra Starlight Varifocal Bullet (IPC-HFW8232E-Z)

Reaction score
Well I think the kind of folks that don't haunt ipcamtalk would say that $300-$400 per cam is already too much of a bloody fortune. They just don't understand!

But yeah $900-$1200+ per cam is way too rich for my blood. Especially since I'll need multiple.

Unfortunately I couldn't use big PTZ cams anyway since I am in an HOA. Not just that, I'm also the President so I have to be extra careful about not bolting monstrosities to the side of my house. I wrote the policy and prohibited big domes and orbs outside. It just didn't pass the fit test with our architecture. We are limited to bullet style cams. I really wanted integrated audio because honestly it's a stretch for me to have a separate microphone which clashes in color and design and has an extra cable. As it is I would probably have to paint the black stripe up the side of the Dahua white to make it uniform. You'd think that they would offer them in all white as an option for people who didn't want a black stripe up the side making them obvious to both criminals and anyone trying to admire a buildings architecture.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
im running mine on schedule, I found with my new bright lights leaving it in color mode at night w/SSA on dont help at all in gain priority mode, so daytime is shutter priority w/SSA and night time is gain priority w/out SSA
Concerning night & day...I'm finding my 2 cameras (4233 & 4431) on the Dahua 5216 NVR can only be set to change with the schedule. I thought "normal" would be the setting where the cameras switch settings automatically when outside light levels change at sunrise/sunset. Doesn't work, only changes with setting on "schedule".

Reaction score
Unfortunately I couldn't use big PTZ cams anyway since I am in an HOA. Not just that, I'm also the President so I have to be extra careful about not bolting monstrosities to the side of my house. I wrote the policy and prohibited big domes and orbs outside. It just didn't pass the fit test with our architecture. We are limited to bullet style cams.
I don't understand how people live in areas with HOA's. If someone told me I could only put a bullet style camera and not a dome style camera on a house I own and pay for, I would install a dome style camera just because they said I couldn't.

So I guess you couldn't install the turret style camera on the outside of your house? It's smaller than the bullet style for this particular camera.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't understand how people live in areas with HOA's. If someone told me I could only put a bullet style camera and not a dome style camera on a house I own and pay for, I would install a dome style camera just because they said I couldn't.

So I guess you couldn't install the turret style camera on the outside of your house? It's smaller than the bullet style for this particular camera.
they are worried about image and their property value, because property value must be higher in neighborhoods where nobody has cameras and criminals flock because they are more likely to get away with it. Cookie cutter conformist, gotta be like bob down the street neighborhoods. Douchbaggery at its finest. Your tombstone won't have the value of your house etched into it. I buy a house, I will do whatever the hell I damn well please and if the neighbors don't like it, they can look the other way or move.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your tombstone won't have the value of your house etched into it. I buy a house, I will do whatever the hell I damn well please and if the neighbors don't like it, they can look the other way or move.
That is exactly why HOA's exist. People don't like the idea of being forced out of their house by an asshole neighbor. HOA's don't stop your neighbors from being assholes, but they can mitigate the impact it has on you. In many areas however the city / county actually have laws/ordinances that would cover some of the biggest issues reducing the need for an HOA. The problem is many HOA's go a little crazy and have rules about all sorts of stuff especially the bigger ones. However there are some HOAs with pretty reasonable covenants (binding to all) but membership is optional at something like $50/yr.

Personally I'd rather live in a city/county with laws on the books that make an HOA unnecessary, but HOA's do have their place.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most HOAs have the ability to fine folks who repeatedly violate the HOA rules (that they had to agree to follow before they could close on the property). They can send folks that don't pay the fines to collections.

The neighborhood I live in has 30 acres of community space. The HOA pretty much exists so that the community has a formal way to say what happens with that land, as well as equally cover the cost of maintaining it. No rules about cameras. Any HOA rule can be changed with enough votes from the residents.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Most HOAs have the ability to fine folks who repeatedly violate the HOA rules (that they had to agree to follow before they could close on the property). They can send folks that don't pay the fines to collections.

The neighborhood I live in has 30 acres of community space. The HOA pretty much exists so that the community has a formal way to say what happens with that land, as well as equally cover the cost of maintaining it. No rules about cameras. Any HOA rule can be changed with enough votes from the residents.
which is awesome because you could have 4 PTZ's, and cameras everywhere and all of a sudden they outlaw cameras lol no thanks.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Takes a vote of more than 50% of the houses to add a new rule. I've got zero worries about 83 houses voting to change architectural guidelines to prohibit/regulate cameras.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And if you had cameras before some new covenant was approved you'd be grandfathered in. But enough on HOAs this thread is supposed to be about an awesome but somewhat expensive camera :)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Very somewhat expensive, to have nothing but ultras would be super baller

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah my buddy got sent to collections and fined $8000 for a brick on the front patio of his town home that was there when he moved in.. luckily he got a good lawyer, had an injunction put against his HOA on the grounds of harassment and the judge threw the whole thing out and made the HOA pay his legal fees... HOA Board members also use there position to make life miserable for any neighbors they dont care for.

City code enforcement is bad enough, I will never own anything thats part of any HOA.. one of the HOA's down the street from me killed 3 pets when they sprayed everyone's lawn with pesticides; when owners requested to opt-out of the pesticide program the HOA told em to go fuck off.. its there right to poison your family pets apparently.

Another HOA nearby refused to approve a radon mitigation system be installed; saying it was ugly and going to spray deadly radon on all the neighbors.. but its perfectly okay for the owners to get cancer and be dead within 5 years.

Then there is Das Boot, one of my favorite Anti-HOA stories: Das Boot: One man's crusade against injustice

fuck HOA's

/rant

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
yeah my buddy got sent to collections and fined $8000 for a brick on the front patio of his town home that was there when he moved in.. luckily he got a good lawyer, had an injunction put against his HOA on the grounds of harassment and the judge threw the whole thing out and made the HOA pay his legal fees... HOA Board members also use there position to make life miserable for any neighbors they dont care for.

City code enforcement is bad enough, I will never own anything thats part of any HOA.. one of the HOA's down the street from me killed 3 pets when they sprayed everyone's lawn with pesticides; when owners requested to opt-out of the pesticide program the HOA told em to go fuck off.. its there right to poison your family pets apparently.

Another HOA nearby refused to approve a radon mitigation system be installed; saying it was ugly and going to spray deadly radon on all the neighbors.. but its perfectly okay for the owners to get cancer and be dead within 5 years.

Then there is Das Boot, one of my favorite Anti-HOA stories: Das Boot: One man's crusade against injustice

fuck HOA's

/rant

Godamn right, they serve one purpose, for yuppy douchebags to assert power over other people because they are self important turds.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
What the hell kind of pesticide did they spray to kill three pets? Napalm?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Our HOA has worked just fine for 10 years now.We've only had to bring legal recourse against one homeowner in that time. He decided he didnt need to pay HOA fees anymore back in 2012, (Ours are a whopping $36 p/mo) allow crack heads to live there and rent from him while cooking and selling meth (all while he sorta forgot to pay his mortgage for 4 years), tear the place up, park junk cars in the front yard, kill a dog by beating it in his driveway (yes I have the video), allow a 8" oak tree limb lay across the sidewalk for 3 months, kinda forget to cut his yard for months at a time, and then threaten neighbors who walked past his house on the common sidewalk when he moved back in, after he got foreclosed on at the other house he owned and forgot to pay the mortgage on.

About a month ago the court advised that the lien foreclosure would go through and he ended up deciding it was better to settle and pay the back HOA dues and attorney/legal fees (that had grown to 10x his assoc dues)

I couldnt find a single homeowner in the neighborhood that was willing to pay his dues for him or that felt the HOA was wrong in protecting their property values and the neighborhood.

We require 2/3 of all owners to change any covenant or add any, and everyone signs and agrees to the covenants when they move in as part of the closing. Oh and anyone is free to leave at any time ;)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Our HOA has worked just fine for 10 years now.We've only had to bring legal recourse against one homeowner in that time. He decided he didnt need to pay HOA fees anymore back in 2012, (Ours are a whopping $36 p/mo) allow crack heads to live there and rent from him while cooking and selling meth (all while he sorta forgot to pay his mortgage for 4 years), tear the place up, park junk cars in the front yard, kill a dog by beating it in his driveway (yes I have the video), allow a 8" oak tree limb lay across the sidewalk for 3 months, kinda forget to cut his yard for months at a time, and then threaten neighbors who walked past his house on the common sidewalk when he moved back in, after he got foreclosed on at the other house he owned and forgot to pay the mortgage on.

About a month ago the court advised that the lien foreclosure would go through and he ended up deciding it was better to settle and pay the back HOA dues and attorney/legal fees (that had grown to 10x his assoc dues)

I couldnt find a single homeowner in the neighborhood that was willing to pay his dues for him or that felt the HOA was wrong in protecting their property values and the neighborhood.

We require 2/3 of all owners to change any covenant or add any, and everyone signs and agrees to the covenants when they move in as part of the closing. Oh and anyone is free to leave at any time ;)
I find it very odd someone like that was able to afford to live in your fancy neighborhood.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
HA! Hardly fancy...pretty middle of the road for sure. Just a quite little neighborhood.
One can only guess? maybe he works at the same place many of the folks who live in the ghetto down the road work? They all seem to have new Audi's and BMW"s and such, (frequently a different car every week or so ...hmmm) plenty of gold hanging on their necks, and like him, don't seem to have day jobs. I should ask him, sounds like my kinda work ;)