Dahua WIZMIND X SERIES

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just to provide an example of what I wrote earlier, I looked up the specs of the SD8C845FG-HNF (nice San Diego skyline - although quite a bit of noise reduction in that image) and it says "Color: 0.0005 lux@F1.5" ... but because it's a BIG zoom (8 mm–360 mm), the Max. Aperture goes from F/1.5 to F/5.7. To be clear, this isn't specific to Dahua - it's just the laws of optics. Similarly, almost all moderate/super-zoom camera lens are also "variable aperture" - i.e. increases with zoom. Obviously the low-light capability will decrease with zoom.

WRT Zoom: As you increase the focal length, to maintain the same FStop, you have to increase the size of the iris/entrance pupil. I have a (Canon) 50mm F/1.8 lens ... it is a LOT LOT smaller/lighter than a 400mm F2.8.

nhs128

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anyone know if these be used to replace a current 5231-Z12E and capture license plates without OpenALPR? I wasn't sure if they came with onboard software or what could take care of the processing and storage of plates.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know if these be used to replace a current 5231-Z12E and capture license plates without OpenALPR? I wasn't sure if they came with onboard software or what could take care of the processing and storage of plates.
Those are ANPR cameras, but they have half the zoom of the Z12E so it may or may not work for you.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
The 8-32mm one might work if your camera is close to the street. I am in the process of rearranging some of my cameras and I will be using a 5442E-Z4E 8-32mm for a license plate camera. However, this one will be right next to the street. It will be replacing this one which is 2.7-12mm.

Camera 4B Final Location In Tree.jpg

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
The 7 series is the smartest series right now, also support ANPR camera, not really to replace the Z12E,Z12E is cheaper and work great after you make DIY as a LPR camera.
If want a professional ANPR camera i stll recommend to use the ANPR special model IPC-LPR437B-IR.
Amazon.com : IPC-LPR437B-IR

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Just to provide an example of what I wrote earlier, I looked up the specs of the SD8C845FG-HNF (nice San Diego skyline - although quite a bit of noise reduction in that image) and it says "Color: 0.0005 lux@F1.5" ... but because it's a BIG zoom (8 mm–360 mm), the Max. Aperture goes from F/1.5 to F/5.7. To be clear, this isn't specific to Dahua - it's just the laws of optics. Similarly, almost all moderate/super-zoom camera lens are also "variable aperture" - i.e. increases with zoom. Obviously the low-light capability will decrease with zoom.
SD8C845FG-HNF 45X 4K PTZ Nightvideo - YouTube
Have a night video test for this super ptz.

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
That's really impressive @EMPIRETECANDY ... curious if the aperture/iris/F-Stop was held constant as it didn't appear that the light levels changed on the zoom in/out.

BTW, if you put that 1/1.2" sensor in a HDBW7442E1-Z4-X (less MP makes for bigger light sucking pixels) and want a tester, I'd love to have it watch my front lawn for the Internet to see! ;-)
1/1.2cmos if no US ban i think dahua/hikvision will use a lot on their high end products, right now they find replacement on the market. You see the camera tech not too big progress since 2021, have some new things but all are very expensive. At today's economy situation across the world, expensive things not easy to sell, so can't be big volume.

patc

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to follow up from my previous post - there is a tantalising section of the release notes for the only firmware available for the camera, which is the same version it has shipped with. I have attached it. It seems to imply I should be able to have a higher frame rate available on both the Main Stream and Sub Stream 1, but whatever I do I can't get the sub stream to go above 30.

I've tried firstly disabling any CPU intensive things. No motion detection, no smart features, no timestamp or any on screen displays, no privacy, no backlight correction or WDR.

Only Main Stream and Sub Stream 1 enabled, all other sub streams disabled and set to the lowest resolution and1fps just to see if the algorithm would let me select higher in Sub Stream 1.

Tried in both the web interface and DMSS to change the settings but alas it won't budge from maximum of 30 in sub stream 1.

I think I've exhausted trying to do this (have Main Stream (4k) and Sub Stream 1 (1080p) set to 60fps), but I know there's people here with experience of the nuances of these release notes and perhaps have an inroad to Dahua themselves to make work what they say should work?!

I can confirm the camera is running V3.100.0000000.12.R. These are the release notes:
Hope someone can help!

Attachments

patc

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to follow up from my previous post - there is a tantalising section of the release notes for the only firmware available for the camera, which is the same version it has shipped with. I have attached it. It seems to imply I should be able to have a higher frame rate available on both the Main Stream and Sub Stream 1, but whatever I do I can't get the sub stream to go above 30.

I've tried firstly disabling any CPU intensive things. No motion detection, no smart features, no timestamp or any on screen displays, no privacy, no backlight correction or WDR.

Only Main Stream and Sub Stream 1 enabled, all other sub streams disabled and set to the lowest resolution and1fps just to see if the algorithm would let me select higher in Sub Stream 1.

Tried in both the web interface and DMSS to change the settings but alas it won't budge from maximum of 30 in sub stream 1.

I think I've exhausted trying to do this (have Main Stream (4k) and Sub Stream 1 (1080p) set to 60fps), but I know there's people here with experience of the nuances of these release notes and perhaps have an inroad to Dahua themselves to make work what they say should work?!

I can confirm the camera is running V3.100.0000000.12.R. These are the release notes:
Hope someone can help!
Oh gosh, I managed it using the API! At least, it'll work with the 4K at 59fps and the 1080p at 60!

For anyone who wants the hack, I made sure everything above which could use the CPU was turned off, set the main stream to 60fps, then ran this:

And it suddenly opened up the higher frame rate options in Sub Stream 1. Woop!!

patc

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh gosh, I managed it using the API! At least, it'll work with the 4K at 59fps and the 1080p at 60!

For anyone who wants the hack, I made sure everything above which could use the CPU was turned off, set the main stream to 60fps, then ran this:

And it suddenly opened up the higher frame rate options in Sub Stream 1. Woop!!
Might as well follow up to express disappointment about the audio quality of the HDBW7842E1-Z-X. I placed it in the same location as one of the old HDW5231R-ZE cameras and whilst sound from the mic on the old one is bright and full, this new one is incredbly flat. I even tried piping high quality audio which I tested first going to an amp (which was crisp) but once down the line in input of the camera (with AAC 64000 and no filters), it takes all the frequency range away and there's all kinds of garbling in the encoding which make it unusable for what I needed.

After all that, it was the sound that let me down which is a real shame. I know it's asking a lot for a CCTV camera to have high quality audio but I was spoilt with some of the eyeball ones I have which are brilliant, in a literal sense. The wildlife I capture (birds, foxes, badgers) make all kinds of noises at all frequencies and the 5231s (some of them, not all, curiously) have been amazing for that.

If Dahua ever come up with a firmware update to get rid of whatever extra horrible processing is going on in a setting, that would be joyous but I doubt it given its intended application.

This camera will have to go in a location where the sound isn't important after all. which is a real shame. Anyway thought I'd feed back.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Might as well follow up to express disappointment about the audio quality of the HDBW7842E1-Z-X. I placed it in the same location as one of the old 5231R-ZE cameras and whilst sound from the mic on the old one is bright and full, this new one is incredbly flat. I even tried piping high quality audio which I tested first going to an amp (which was crisp) but once down the line in input of the camera (with AAC 64000 and no filters), it takes all the frequency range away and there's all kinds of garbling in the encoding which make it unusable for what I needed.

After all that, it was the sound that let me down which is a real shame. I know it's asking a lot for a CCTV camera to have high quality audio but I was spoilt with some of the eyeball ones I have which are brilliant, in a literal sense. The wildlife I capture (birds, foxes, badgers) make all kinds of noises at all frequencies and the 5231s (some of them, not all, curiously) have been amazing for that.

If Dahua ever come up with a firmware update to get rid of whatever extra horrible processing is going on in a setting, that would be joyous but I doubt it given its intended application.

This camera will have to go in a location where the sound isn't important after all. which is a real shame. Anyway thought I'd feed back.
Have you tried it with Noise Reduction off?

patc

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you tried it with Noise Reduction off?
Yes. It calls it 'Filter Non-human Voices' in this interface as attached.

Those options also disappear when selecting the 'Line In' input with this cam. But even if I make sure it's off when the built in Mic is selected, the sound is poor, and switching to Line In makes it no better.

Attachments

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You are sharing (and figuring out) some great info @patc - thanks.
Any chance you share some nighttime footage with camera settings?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
1/1.2cmos if no US ban i think dahua/hikvision will use a lot on their high end products, right now they find replacement on the market. You see the camera tech not too big progress since 2021, have some new things but all are very expensive. At today's economy situation across the world, expensive things not easy to sell, so can't be big volume.
Andy, do you know if this camera will be available by the middle of next month? IPC-HFW7842H-Z4-X