firmware 5.4.0 for R6 anyone tried?

DarkSim

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dear all,

I noticed a lot of people whom are positive about the 5.4 update, but also some people are not.
The problem I'm currently facing is that my motion detection pictures are no longer emailed from and to my GMail account.

Does anyone faced the same problems? Or maybe even someone has the solution?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Grtzz WiSE
I have the same issue. try to set the resolution to 1080p. that works for me. (i have 4Mp cams)

WiSE

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same issue. try to set the resolution to 1080p. that works for me. (i have 4Mp cams)
Thanks for your reply! Meanwhile, I don't why exactly, the motion detection mails are working. Even with the higher resolution then 1080P. If needed I can post a picture of the settings......
But this morning a ran into another problem and I'm curious to see if someone knows which parameter I need to adjust in order to remove the blurry/unfocused image during movement. See the picture attached for clarification. By the way, I also have a 4MP dome.

Thanks!Camera1-3.jpg

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
Bummer. Although, that was inevitable with the anti-rollback provisions in the firmware. It's a shame it's another half-arsed release that damages image quality on some cameras, but hey... maybe they'll fix that in 5.5 (and break something else).

WiSE

n3wb
Reaction score
All,

Here is another example of my shitty image during live preview, which also is the same for the motion detection pics.
Does anyone has an idea how I can improve this. With the old firmware I never had issues like this!

GrtzzCamera1-3 (1).jpg

Kroegtijgertje

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All,

Here is another example of my shitty image during live preview, which also is the same for the motion detection pics.
Does anyone has an idea how I can improve this. With the old firmware I never had issues like this!

GrtzzView attachment 13078
You should probably turn down your DNR settings.

What are your exposure and DNR settings?

WiSE

n3wb
Reaction score
You should probably turn down your DNR settings.

What are your exposure and DNR settings?
My DNR was on 85.... I turned it down to 60 because if I lower it anymore I have a lot of flickering due to the LED light I have as an external lightning. See image...... I will see tomorrow if the decrease as enough..... Hope so....

Thanks for the advice anyhow!Cam1-Night.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My DNR was on 85.... I turned it down to 65 because if I lower it anymore I have a lot of flickering due to the LED light I have as an external lightning. See image...... I will see tomorrow if the decrease as enough..... Hope so....

Thanks for the advice anyhow!View attachment 13084
Turn DNR down to 20. Change fps to 25, change i-frame to 50. See what that does. I'm assuming you are Dutch?

- - - Updated - - -

5.40 is now the installed on all new UK trade sales models.
Well that's a bummer as we can't get it to 5.3.8, well I can't on my 4MP one.

WiSE

n3wb
Reaction score
Here are by the way my settings..... sorry for the Dutch language but I think you can manage/understand.....:)

Any recommendations?
Cam1-Image settings1.jpgCam1-Image settings2.jpgCam1-Image settings3.jpgCam1-Image settings4.jpgCam1-Image settings5.jpgCam1-Image settings6.jpgCam1-Image settings7.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here are by the way my settings..... sorry for the Dutch language but I think you can manage/understand.....:)

Any recommendations?
And the one for the video settings.....

Cam1-Video settings.jpg

WiSE

n3wb
Reaction score
Turn DNR down to 20. Change fps to 25, change i-frame to 50. See what that does. I'm assuming you are Dutch?
Yes correct, Dutch it is :))

Anyway I follow your advice but the outcome was not satisfying..... Video quality looks worse and I have flickering/black line scroling up-down. See movie....
Any other proposals?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you match your countries 50 or 60hz in the camera setting? Yours is set to 60...what is does your country use?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did you match your countries 50 or 60hz in the camera setting? Yours is set to 60...what is does your country use?
Netherlands is 50Hz.

Also pan the camera right and down a bit. The picture is never going to be great with a huge white door and light blinding your camera.

WiSE

n3wb
Reaction score
Netherlands is 50Hz.
Also pan the camera right and down a bit. The picture is never going to be great with a huge white door and light blinding your camera.
Hi,

Thanks for the advice! I now that the big white surface (could) have some negative influences, but I wanted to see my door and mailbox. But probably you're right and I have to turn it a bit to the right. Anyway...I did some exercise with the "BLC" parameter and this is already a huge improvement in my opinion, in terms of a brighter view. See attached picture.... I guess that if I turn the camera a bit to the right that it will be even better withouth the huge white surface of the door infuencing.

What do you guys think of the result?

Grtzzz80.115.39.97_01_20160909010513884.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You really need to move it right. You know if someone is at the mailbox even if it's just out of view.

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
Hi,

Thanks for the advice! I now that the big white surface (could) have some negative influences, but I wanted to see my door and mailbox. But probably you're right and I have to turn it a bit to the right. Anyway...I did some exercise with the "BLC" parameter and this is already a huge improvement in my opinion, in terms of a brighter view. See attached picture.... I guess that if I turn the camera a bit to the right that it will be even better withouth the huge white surface of the door infuencing.

What do you guys think of the result?

GrtzzzView attachment 13095
who is going to steal your wall/door ??

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
i think i might try the latest fw but alas hik eu seems to be down, can you guys confirm its down or is it just me
It seems OK for me just now - http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/

On a related note - I haven't been able to reach the Hikvision CN site for several days. It's often slow, and occasionally unavailable, though not usually for long.
Can anyone check? Hopefully they haven't started adding regional restrictions like the US FTP site.
http://www1.hikvision.com/cn/download_more_699.html

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All,

Upgraded a DS-2CD2T42WD-I5 from the V5.3.8 build 160428 to V5.4.0 build 160401 and I would agree that image quality is considerably worse. (see attached)

Secondly I noticed that WDR no longer has an Auto option? Anyone know what the deal with that is? Does it just automatically turn off at night now? testing would indicate that it does not.

Thirdly the US site looks like the build number is different US vs UK. (US - 160530 vs UK - 160401) Does that mean anything?

Thanks in advance.

ftp://ftp.hikvisionusa.com/Hikvision_IP_Camera_Firmware/Raptor_2xxx_Series/Value Series/IPC_2xx2_EN_STD_5.4.0_160530.zip

http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Front-ends/01--IPC/R6 platform (2X22FWD, 2X42FWD, 2X52)/Baseline Firmware_IPC_R6 series_En_V5.4.0 160401 Unable to degrade(1.3MP, 2MP, 4MP, 5MP)/&file=IPC_R6_EN_STD_5.4.0_160401.zip

192.168.1.150_01_2016091707434213.jpg192.168.1.150_01_20160917074422743.jpg

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
Thirdly the US site looks like the build number is different US vs UK. (US - 160530 vs UK - 160401) Does that mean anything?
If I'm not mistaken your EU link is for the R6 cameras and the US link is for the R0 cameras (like my 2332-I).

As for the WDR issues, you'd have to refer to the release notes. Actually I just checked the release notes and there is nothing relevant to the R6 cameras and WDR. Having said that, since Hikvision release notes are consistently inaccurate and mostly useless that should not be a surprise.