GMAIL Failure? Anyone Else?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
These updates are only for the European versions what about for the US sold models? Is it just a matter of language or...?
What's the serial number? Is it WR?

Another reason I dislike Hikvision more and more. They region lock them but don't even provide proper support for the region locked ones.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another reason I dislike Hikvision more and more. They region lock them but don't even provide proper support for the region locked ones.
Although you are right above, can you suggest another camera/NVR brand of similar value for money as HIK, that provides better support? This is not a theoretical question, it is an honest question in my quest for proper support.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Although you are right above, can you suggest another camera/NVR brand of similar value for money as HIK, that provides better support? This is not a theoretical question, it is an honest question in my quest for proper support.
Dahua! I'm gradually moving across to them. I'm not ripping out Hikvision to replace with Dahua, but I will continue to recommend Dahua as an alternative. I still recommend Hikvision because compared to Foscrap, Amcrest-crap etc it is miles ahead.

What I like about Dahua - ONVIF works. Less firmware bugs.

okosub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
gmail now works for me again. switched back but keeping yandex email anyway as a backup in the event this does and will happen again

okosub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What's the serial number? Is it WR?

I've got the ds-2cd2332 and 1 2532. don't have access to serial at the moment

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got the ds-2cd2332 and 1 2532. don't have access to serial at the moment
Klaisper/ delboy /all / wonder if google took such a hammering with millions and millions of email clients failed that felt they had to continue to support?

Companies often dont support products after a few years with software updates and so the number of failed email clients must have been collosal.

Wonder if they took a simple ISP / person/ computer perspective instead of legacy "M2M" of which this functionality kind of is.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Make sure you update to every version first before going to v5.4.0

This is today's message from Hikvision, as there was no v5.2.0, I assume they mean 5.3.6 then 5.3.8 then 5.4.0

"Please follow the steps to upgrade: V5.2.0->V5.3.0->V5.4.0

Skipping intermediate versions in upgrading may cause unpredicable problems."

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Now that is interesting. Who gives the instruction to " ... follow all the steps to upgrade ...."?
Why is that required? Does it mean that intermediate versions install routines that are either required for the next version OR do they install routines to ensure that there is no downgrade ability?
I believe that a lot of people have the most feature full version 5.1.6 which also allowed tweaking of the firmware which HIK did not like and attempted to stop with later versions.

Has anyone attempted to upgrade from an older (e.g. 5.1.6) firmware to the latest 5.4.0 and had problems?
Anyone with problems please report camera model, from which firmware to which firmware the firmware upgrade process was done and what was the problem (if any, if not then report back as successful)

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Now that is interesting. Who gives the instruction to " ... follow all the steps to upgrade ...."?
Why is that required? Does it mean that intermediate versions install routines that are either required for the next version OR do they install routines to ensure that there is no downgrade ability?
I believe that a lot of people have the most feature full version 5.1.6 which also allowed tweaking of the firmware which HIK did not like and attempted to stop with later versions.

Has anyone attempted to upgrade from an older (e.g. 5.1.6) firmware to the latest 5.4.0 and had problems?
Anyone with problems please report camera model, from which firmware to which firmware the firmware upgrade process was done and what was the problem (if any, if not then report back as successful)
This is for R6 cameras (4MP FWD ones), not for R0 3MP ones where v5.1.6 was the best.

The earliest R6 released firmware was 5.3.1, most people have 5.3.3 or later for this.

The similar model numbers and firmware numbers is confusing for sure.

Alphax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Alerts are working now but still no attachments... anyone else seeing the emails but no attachments?

Alphax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Working now, as well. Thanks everyone.

I can't help but think that this was gmail testing to see the freakout effect... I really hope Hik gets the clue and places a fix in place for when they pull the trigger and don't call back the bullet next time.