Help with camera suggestion

jrjmpls

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking for a couple of static cams (ptz not needed). 2MP would be ok. Would prefer black. Must work with Blue Iris. Hoping to stay in $30-$40 range. Can anyone suggest something like this? Thanx.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

:) to explain a little more, unless you're willing to go with used, it doesn't exist. If you are willing to go used, findings could be sketchy at that price range. I'd speculate that most cams (even the cheapest new) are going to be 75$ and up. Even then, you get what you pay for. To help you out more, it would help to say what you're needing it for (a large field? a small alleyway? indoor? outdoor? night? day? both? an elephant or a housecat?)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for a couple of static cams (ptz not needed). 2MP would be ok. Would prefer black. Must work with Blue Iris. Hoping to stay in $30-$40 range. Can anyone suggest something like this? Thanx.
Hi @jrjmpls

In general it is really challenging to find many deals right now due to supply chain interruptions.

If your price point is tight - then the only one I know which meets it is the wyze cameras ( wifi ). You will need to probably install the hacked firmware to get rtsp streaming to work, unless they are now including it in the base firmware.

Perhaps with some digging you can find other options - I just don't know of much at this time.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

Read study plan before spending money.

What you think you are saving in money by buying cheap cameras , will cost you in time and poor quality
---------------------------------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
I
PC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
IPC-T3241-ZAS ...... Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal -- 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal
IPC-HFW2831T-ZS ... Review-Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera -- 8MP Bullet 1/1.8” sensor variable focus.
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
indoor family room and utility room
Ok so I would suggest the Amcrest IP2M-841B-V3. That is rebranded Dahua and while it does come in wifi, you can run it wired if the wifi is too unstable. There are so many things that can affect wifi stability such as the quality of the router itself, number of devices on the wifi bands, obstacles and proximity to the wifi access point all just to start. Also wifi is notoriously unstable on its own. The good is that these don't have to run wifi. They can be cabled.

This one runs around $50 new but I've seen them as low as $40.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just picked up a couple refurbished Amcrest IP2M-841 cams to play with, about 10 hours left of the deal ($30.00). Would recommend using wired connection; when testing them out on wireless using a cheap Netgear router, anything more that 15ft away they have problems, not sure if it's the router or the cams. I plan wiring one up in the garage.

Last edited: