Hikvision - Clearing Passwords and/or Loading Firmware via TTL Serial

ste92

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I changed pc and or tried immediately to press ctrl u then stopped the auto boot but it does not go any further, not even the screen of the DVR

antonio1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I changed pc and or tried immediately to press ctrl u then stopped the auto boot but it does not go any further, not even the screen of the DVR
don't care at this moment about the screen of DVR on the TV, just go next, if you have well configured TFTPD32 and running, and if you have response from console when you type "update" you are really lucky, if not, you are in my situation.

ste92

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know that I installed Tftpd64 is that or I was wrong to download?

antonio1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, I did the test with TFTP of hikvision. First of all if I let the DVR running I see that it get automatically the IP 192.168.1.64 instead of 192.0.0.64 so to be more sure of no fail I chose the same network for my PC board (192.168.1.128). Then I let two rebooting times to run and TFTP didn't move anything, no second line. I have no idea at what moment the DVR should detect the TFTP to get the firmware, but it doesn't work.
I can do one more test, my manual 4 lines commands by using hikvision TFTP but as soon as I specify address location I think it will load the firmware like TFTPD64. But I could do the test.

ste92

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok I put the right version, now when I do ctrl u it stops and goes on but then it tells me error and stops them

antonio1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok I put the right version, now when I do ctrl u it stops and goes on but then it tells me error and stops them
you are not very clear. After you stop with CTRL+U you should type update, did you do that? If yes, what's the response?

antonio1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If I do manually upgrade using commands and hikvision TFTP the firmware starts to upload but after reboot the behavior is the same with TFTPD64. So the hikvision TFTP does not help me as soon as it does not start alone triggered by DVR. I have no idea how to trigger it by using "setenv bootcmd" maybe this will be one of the key to solve the situation.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I see that it get automatically the IP 192.168.1.64 instead of 192.0.0.64 so to be more sure of no fail I chose the same network for my PC board (192.168.1.128)
No - the 192.0.0.64 that the bootloader uses to probe for the tftp updater on 192.0.0.128 is only used for a short time at power-on and is not related to the IP address that has been configured for when the device boots up fully.

You must have the PC IP address set to 192.0.0.128 for the Hikvision tftp updater to operate.
And the Windows firewall must allow inbound network traffic from the tftpserve.exe program.
If in doubt about the firewall rules, turn the firewall off temporarily.

antonio1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does it say 'System update successful' or similar?
What was the status after the file download?
I did all tests, I set back to 192.0.0.128 for hikvision TFTP and let the DVR to manage everything 3 times, but the TFTP didn't move anything. Here below is the log for manually force to upload using hikvision TFTP.
Code:
[2019-01-27 22:01:17] TFTP server[192.0.0.128] initialized

[2019-01-27 22:02:14] Connect client[192.0.0.64] success

[2019-01-27 22:02:14] Start file[D:\DVR Kit\DVR investigation\tftp_hik2\digicap.dav] transmitting

[2019-01-27 22:02:23] Resend required

[2019-01-27 22:02:33] Resend required

[2019-01-27 22:02:44] Resend required

[2019-01-27 22:02:49] Completed file[D:\DVR Kit\DVR investigation\tftp_hik2\digicap.dav] transmit

[2019-01-27 22:05:12] TFTP server[192.0.0.128] initialized

ste92

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you are not very clear. After you stop with CTRL+U you should type update, did you do that? If yes, what's the response?
I think it's the same as your situation, when I do ctrl u, stop autoboot but it goes on and does not stop.

antonio1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think it's the same as your situation, when I do ctrl u, stop autoboot but it goes on and does not stop.
I'm sorry to hear that, I'm stuck at this situation because I tried upgrade to 3.5.37_180928 and I reported the situation to hikvision to remove that stupid firmware for others to not have same problem, but they insist that this is a good firmware. Anyway, I'm in warranty and I will send back to service for repair or replacing. I'm just angry that this small thing could not be solved manually from home. I think they encrypted more the u-boot and now look at our situation.

I think I have no other try to do, just if someone from hikvision will tell the solution. By the way, could you share the log console to see the moment of rebooting if it's the same? What release you used for upgrade?

ste92

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am angry too, it is not possible to upload firmware on the internet. This is the first time that this happens to me, I have always updated Nvr and DVR.
I also wrote to hikvision with screenshots see what they say.
I already contact the seller of the DVR hopefully tell me to send it to him I've only been there for a few days and then I do not think he knows what it is.
unfortunately now I turned off everything I'm really tired :(
we update tomorrow hoping for a good solution thanks a lot for your support!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
[2019-01-27 22:02:49] Completed file[D:\DVR Kit\DVR investigation\tftp_hik2\digicap.dav] transmit
I believe that means that it's the wrong firmware for the device.
Watching the serial console while the update was being attempted would presumably have confirmed that.

I do find the many and various choices and exceptions of firmware for the Turbo X series of DVRs to be very confusing, and do not have any confidence to point people in the direction of the right firmware for their specific model.

antonio1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I believe that means that it's the wrong firmware for the device.
Watching the serial console while the update was being attempted would presumably have confirmed that.
No, it's not like that, I tried this time to update to my previous last firmware working. So this is good and stable working firmware. Where do you see that it is wrong firmware? See below my last DVR picture before dying.
Code:
I do find the many and various choices and exceptions of firmware for the Turbo X series of DVRs to be very confusing, and do not have any confidence to point people in the direction of the right firmware for their specific model.
Yes there are many of choices but newly hikvision inside the package has an info file which if is well read you can see if your model is part of that firmware. This is what I did and I had problem after, then hikvision team also assured me that the firmware has no problem for my device even if I can't use the DVR anymore.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
No, it's not like that, I tried this time to update to my previous last firmware working. So this is good and stable working firmware. Where do you see that it is wrong firmware?
Another possible reason for rejecting the update (ie no 'System Update Completed' message) could be if Hikvision have implemented the 'downgrade block' as they have done on other devices.
Again, there should be some information showing on the serial console if this is watched as the tftp update process takes place.

antonio1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Another possible reason for rejecting the update (ie no 'System Update Completed' message) could be if Hikvision have implemented the 'downgrade block' as they have done on other devices.
Again, there should be some information showing on the serial console if this is watched as the tftp update process takes place.
This was the key, I solved the problem, my DVR is back to live again. Thank you anyway for your help, you really helped me a lot.