Hikvision? Dahua? Narrowing Down Camera Options!

Spizz

n3wb
Reaction score
Friends,
Soooooo many cameras to choose from and I and still lost even though I've read a bit online and seen a few youtube video examples.

I had purchased 4MP Swann Camera package and when testing them at night – it was almost pointless in having them. You couldn't even make out if someone was walking by as they would be all 'ghosty' in the footage. Also have checked out the swann cameras at my work and they aren't any better...... so... I think I'll stay away from swann.

Looking on the Dahua or Hikvision product list – WAY too many to narrow down and I have no idea where to start.

I guess the first thing to do is know exactly what I'm looking for.

- Good quality day cameras that are clear

- Quality night cameras that won't have the ghost effect that I experienced in the swann package that I bought and have somewhat decent footage that is usable. One is pointing the street so would like to have this one better if it is for low light and good daytime.

Budget of around $300AUD per camera? Happy to push a bit more if it were better. (less would obviously make me happier:) )

Perhaps linking some footage of what you guys got or any other youtube videos of decent cameras would be awesome.

I hope you guys can help!

Cheers

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Friends,
Soooooo many cameras to choose from and I and still lost even though I've read a bit online and seen a few youtube video examples.

I had purchased 4MP Swann Camera package and when testing them at night – it was almost pointless in having them. You couldn't even make out if someone was walking by as they would be all 'ghosty' in the footage. Also have checked out the swann cameras at my work and they aren't any better...... so... I think I'll stay away from swann.

Looking on the Dahua or Hikvision product list – WAY too many to narrow down and I have no idea where to start.

I guess the first thing to do is know exactly what I'm looking for.

- Good quality day cameras that are clear

- Quality night cameras that won't have the ghost effect that I experienced in the swann package that I bought and have somewhat decent footage that is usable. One is pointing the street so would like to have this one better if it is for low light and good daytime.

Budget of around $300AUD per camera? Happy to push a bit more if it were better. (less would obviously make me happier:) )

Perhaps linking some footage of what you guys got or any other youtube videos of decent cameras would be awesome.

I hope you guys can help!

Cheers
you have a good budget and will likely come in below it. The swann kit is likely made by hikvision. The blur you see is caused by a small sensor with high resolution and/or digital noise reduction set too low. Read the wiki, see the dahua starlight threads.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.

2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If buying dahua cameras and NVRs buy from Andy, he is a forum member and has outstanding service. And very fast shipping. He sells international dahua cameras.
@EMPIRETECANDY
Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:
his email address: kingsecurity2014@163.com -- if you do not find what you are looking for email him. Email him for international shipping

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Spizz

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok Awesome Thank you for that!
I think I'll jump into Starlight Cameras and at least buy 1 and test it!
I'm going away mid July so plenty of time to test it and see if I like it

In terms of DVR should I go with one of the units?
How do they work? choose cameras first then DVR? or other way around?
If I have a 3MP camera to match the res on the DVR or a 1080p output DVR will be fine for higher res cameras?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok Awesome Thank you for that!
I think I'll jump into Starlight Cameras and at least buy 1 and test it!
I'm going away mid July so plenty of time to test it and see if I like it

In terms of DVR should I go with one of the units?
How do they work? choose cameras first then DVR? or other way around?
If I have a 3MP camera to match the res on the DVR or a 1080p output DVR will be fine for higher res cameras?
Hi @Spizz

Remember you'll want a NVR not a DVR for IP PoE cameras.

Many members prefer to use a PC + VMS software ( Blue Iris is popular ) + PoE switch.

For testing purposes you can just get a small PoE switch and use Dahua OEM VMS software SmartPSS on a PC to get started.

Spizz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @Spizz

Remember you'll want a NVR not a DVR for IP PoE cameras.

Many members prefer to use a PC + VMS software ( Blue Iris is popular ) + PoE switch.

For testing purposes you can just get a small PoE switch and use Dahua OEM VMS software SmartPSS on a PC to get started.
Nice! This looks more appealing!
Thanks for that!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nice! This looks more appealing!
Thanks for that!
Happy to help

( Dahua OEM VMS SmartPSS software for Dahua Cameras, Hikvision OEM VMS iVMS-4200 for HIkvision Cameras, Blue Iris VMS software for either ( need a better PC tho ) .. )

Spizz

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking to get the following to test in different positions.

Is it worth getting both or are they very similar in quality and performance?

Dahua IPC-HDW5831R-ZE
and
Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS

I can't find a starlight one to buy and test that's within the budget. (under $300AUD).

This one looks good but could only find it for above $300US

IPC-HFW8232E-ZE

Thoughts?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, the 5831 and 2831 are very different cameras. The 5831 uses the older 8MP 1/2.8” image sensor, whereas the 2831 uses the newer, larger 8MP 1/1.8” sensor. The sensor the 2831 uses has a minimum illumination spec that’s pretty close (but not quite) Starlight quality.

The 8232 should have the best low-light image quality of them all, with a 2MP 1/1.8” sensor. That’s a big sensor with relatively few pixels (2MP) on it, so the size of each pixel is a lot bigger... allows even more light to be captured in the image. But it’s an Ultra model, so part of its expensive price are high-end features like people counting, heat maps etc ... stuff most folks here have no use for.

When your said you couldn’t find a Starlight to buy and test that’s within the budget (under $300AUD), did you check Andy’s AliExpress store? $300 AUD is $214 US. Most of the Starlights on his store under that amount.

These two models are the most popular. The review should have a link to the product on Andy’s store:
Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal

Spizz

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks.
I notice the IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS still has that ghosty effect at night basing it off the videos.
The IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 Meter seems to be better from the videos.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks.
I notice the IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS still has that ghosty effect at night basing it off the videos.
you are mistaken, there is no ghost effect on either of them if setup properly. If you run in day mode with insufficient light it will happen. You must compare apples to apples

Spizz

n3wb
Reaction score
you are mistaken, there is no ghost effect on either of them if setup properly. If you run in day mode with insufficient light it will happen. You must compare apples to apples
I am going by this video with little ambient light that was posted in the review.

Spizz

n3wb
Reaction score
Both excellent choices
Cheers.
I figured to start learning everything... buy a couple, install them, play around with the locations and settings and then get a better idea and start expanding.
All up, I'll be placing around 6 or 7 cameras around the house.

Blue Iris will be suited for these cameras ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheers.
I figured to start learning everything... buy a couple, install them, play around with the locations and settings and then get a better idea and start expanding.
All up, I'll be placing around 6 or 7 cameras around the house.

Blue Iris will be suited for these cameras ?
Blue iris is well suited for almost any camera including these.

Alan Carter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks.
The price is much lower for the 2231 unfortunately, tight budget.