Hikvision's new 4MP 2-series

n0fx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you guys try hooking up the camera with a 12Volt power source to see if the flashing went away? I tried it on a couple of mine but still having the problem also.

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Since many people are buying the "store brand" through milkisbad - shouldn't we be able to get some official response on this problem?

jimmyt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think the flashing issues are not from milks cameras.. Milks firmware is 5.3.1 - it looks like the flashing is all 5.3.3 related or chinese cameras

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Since many people are buying the "store brand" through milkisbad - shouldn't we be able to get some official response on this problem?
Yep, so for the store brand ones are not having this issue as far as I know.

I just got another 4mp installed at another location today, I have 12 3mp Hiks here and just added the 4mp today so I will see how it compares tonight and I have a lot of 3mp ones here to compare to so that will help.

jimmyt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
good deal razer.. love to see what you end up with for your settings.. I can get it dialed in at night looking good but then daytime is washed out :)

n0fx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think the flashing issues are not from milks cameras.. Milks firmware is 5.3.1 - it looks like the flashing is all 5.3.3 related or chinese cameras
Does milk have a website or do we PM him to buy them?

nynaz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, anyone know of a good vendor to buy 4mp Cams from @ aliexpress?

Thanks
will ask Milk for a catolog also :)

jimmyt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
pm "milkisbad" and he will send you a catalog. great guy to order from

MiniOh

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you get them from milkisbad or from another source? I'm going try to get my supplier to see if there is any fix for it.
I got the cam via Aliexpress to Germany. Shipping via DHL in 2 days.
Aliexpress got it directly from hikvision.

goessensj

n3wb
Reaction score

n0fx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

i´m not really sure. I think it was that shop: http://de.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-with-DHL-shipping-in-stock-with-English-version-DS-2CD2042WD-I-4MP-IR-Bullet/32455462621.html?ws_ab_test=201407_3,201444_5,201409_4

Did all of you who has problems use 5.3.1 or did you upgraded to 5.3.3?
Mine were directly from Aliexpress also and I asked a ton of sellers a month ago if they had the 2042 in stock, one of them said they can get it "within" a week, so I went with them. The sellers name was C&A Security center (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/English-version-DS-2CD2042WD-I-Hikvision-MINI-Security-IP-Camera-4MP-cctv-camera-POE/32372265445.html).

It took them over 5 weeks to get it to me but it was the cheapest option, which was $125 shipped for each one. It already came with v5.3.3 from the factory. I'll attach a photo my the box I got. Is it the same one you got? From what I've been reading on this thread and other threads that it might be a firmware issue v5.3.3 and nothing with v5.3.1 but I was trying to figure out how to downgrade a factory v5.3.3 to v5.3.1.

Attachments

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
It also like the image stream is huge in comparison to the older camera. 3mp camera in 2mp mode is 19,000 bytes per second, the 4mp camera is 110 to 120,000 per second! Move it to 2mp and it will be at 20,000 for the same scene. That is a massive overhead!
I guess others are seeing this huge data stream too? I'm beginning to wonder if I want 4MP if I'm gonna end up running at a lower 2 or 3MP unless I want the 0.01Lux which I think the 2MP has but the 3MP does not. On the other hand it might be nice to have the 4MP option there if I want it.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am beginning to wonder myself actually, I cannot see any better image at night at all and in fact my 3mp is giving me better images overall. I am assuming that future firmware updates will help the new camera out a bunch but for now the 3mp is just as good and better for me. I also have the option of the tall square 3mp view or the wide 2mp view as needed too so it is more flexible.

I have 40 of the 4mp cameras and I will keep them and happily use them but my next order will be for more of the 3mp cameras at this point I believe. I'll wait a little for the 4mp product to mature.

n0fx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like the 4MP from milkisbad are from LTS, which should be rebranded Hikvision ones. I guess their batch is using v5.3.1 and not the new v5.3.3.

goessensj

n3wb
Reaction score
I guess others are seeing this huge data stream too? I'm beginning to wonder if I want 4MP if I'm gonna end up running at a lower 2 or 3MP unless I want the 0.01Lux which I think the 2MP has but the 3MP does not. On the other hand it might be nice to have the 4MP option there if I want it.
I don't have a 4MP Hikvision camera, but he is talking about 120,000 bps = 120KBps, that is extremely low....

1 high quality 15FPS 4MP h.264 stream will be around 8Mbps, h.265 can give up to 50% bit rate reduction for the same image quality.

EDIT: I just checked my 3MP Hikvision ipcam and i see a RTPS stream around 6-7Mbps. (at the time of speaking, it is dark outside in Belgium and IR is on, in color there will probably be a slightly higher bandwith usage.)

Last edited by a moderator:

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
If I look at camera properties in Blue Iris I'm running around 500 kB/s at the moment on a 1.3MP cam, so I guess I'm a little confused. Is that the data stream Razer is referring to?

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A lot of people are confusing the kBps with Kbps. So the definitions are
kBps= Kilo Bytes per second,
kbps= Kilo bits per second
1 kBps = 8kbps

@gwminor Your steam of 500kBps= 500*8kbps=4000kbps=4Mbps=4Mega bits per second which is a reasonable high quality stream. I bet if you check your camera video settings you have selected Max bitrate of 4096 kbps (or something very similar). Please confirm my statement.

Razers bitrate statements are not clear since he does not state clearly the unit of the figure.

goessensj

n3wb
Reaction score
i don't see why you would limit a 4MP cam to 2MP just to save bandwith.
If you would send all streams over an internet connection i can understand.
But in a local network there is no use, just make sure your server has enough bandwith available.
On 1Gbit link you can easily have 50 to theoretically max 100 4MP streams in high quality.

If you go over this amount of cams, the network will not be the only bottleneck and you will need high-end hardware and enterprise netwerk sollutions.