Hikvision's new 4MP 2-series

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
@aster1x Yes I have mine set @ 4M bit rate in the cameras and I'm not having any issues, not sure I saw any difference in quality when I changed from 2M recently. Thanks for your reply and explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In my case all of my cameras are remote, so when I view them it is all over the internet and stream size does come in. It does not matter for recording locally besides I get less recording on my NVR. I need to have 100 days footage on average so stream size on 20-30 camera installs at a location matter to me. Also takes a lot longer to download footage lol.

As to my size streams here is a capture from two of the new 4mp cameras, one set to 4mp and the other to 2mp. Exact same style of view but obviously not exactly identical, and I am aware it varies greatly by scene but these scenes are a similar as can be.

4mp

2mp

These bounce around, 4mp as low as 130000 say and the 2mp as high as 30000 but still this seems like a major difference. I can store 5-6 times more 2mp footage than I can 4mp. As of yet I honestly cannot tell much of a difference in the 4mp image vs the 2mp when zooming in on license plates and such which is where I expected to see the improvement. Still testing and waiting to get the same vehicle at the same rough distance to see and compare side by side when zooming in.

Attachments

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Razer Apologies razer but you still do not mention the unit of your figures. You mention 130000. Is this bits per second? It can not be because this is a very low bit rate. The picture would be awfull. If the unit is bytes per pixel then your mentioned bitrate is 130000*8=1M bits per second which is reasonable bitrate but of rather low picture quality.

Can you please be more specific with the unit of your figures? Where do you see your figures?

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I attached photos above from my software when I posted earlier so you can see exactly what I am seeing.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks Razer, I appreciate that. It looks like that won't be a problem for me on my LAN.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Those are some unexpected numbers, Razer. 4MP should require no more than double the bit rate of 2MP to achieve the desired image quality. Is your software re-encoding the streams? Or are you using VBR encoding and finding that the 4MP cam settles on a much higher bit rate than a 2MP cam?

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Those are some unexpected numbers, Razer. 4MP should require no more than double the bit rate of 2MP to achieve the desired image quality. Is your software re-encoding the streams? Or are you using VBR encoding and finding that the 4MP cam settles on a much higher bit rate than a 2MP cam?
The cameras are set to default settings on the streams, so variable at medium. For the photos I'm attaching below I was set to variable up a quality of "higher" and these were on a new 5.3.2 firmware from @milkisbad that I literally just got in my inbox. Now I'm going to share some cropped images, but it is better than sharing nothing. So many of my cameras are unshareable so I apologize for that, in this case I am going to be able to share as this is an area that is under construction and I'll crop out the building. Hope this helps a little bit, and sorry for not being able to share more.

OK, here is my cropped shot in 4mp mode with WDR off:

And here is the same shot 30 seconds later with WDR on and set to 7 (as a note moving the setting around does not seem to change this result, 100 looks the same as 7 to me)

Lastly here is the shot when set to 2mp mode and not 4mp. Looking at the entire image I actually prefer the 2mp image.

Hope these help, and you can see that WDR is working in reverse, it is darkining the bright areas, not lightening the dark areas lol. It looks like I tinted the lens of my camera when I turn on WDR! :D

Attachments

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Razer The settings pictures you posted do not show the bitrate and compression quality settings of the video. The settings pictures you posted show only the image settings. Image and video settings are two different things usually displayed as separate menus in the HIK firmware.

Benji

n3wb
Reaction score
Seems most of the new 4MP cameras can only do 20fps Vs 2MP running at 30fps, does anyone have a recording showing what the difference is between the two? I think I'd prefer 30fps over 20fps to smooth the video out and have a higher chance of capturing license plates.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems most of the new 4MP cameras can only do 20fps Vs 2MP running at 30fps, does anyone have a recording showing what the difference is between the two? I think I'd prefer 30fps over 20fps to smooth the video out and have a higher chance of capturing license plates.
There is very little benefit to 30fps over 15...20 will be more than enough..

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe that -- when we first start out - most of us become fixated on running as close to 30fps as possible. However, I also believe that most learn that 5 or 10fps is good enough, especially when taking into account the reduced overhead. I know this was certainly true for me; letting of of the 20 to 30fps dream was difficult...but running 15 cameras with Blue Iris forced my hand and I soon realized that 5fps works superbly for my requirements.

Benji

n3wb
Reaction score
I believe that -- when we first start out - most of us become fixated on running as close to 30fps as possible. However, I also believe that most learn that 5 or 10fps is good enough, especially when taking into account the reduced overhead. I know this was certainly true for me; letting of of the 20 to 30fps dream was difficult...but running 15 cameras with Blue Iris forced my hand and I soon realized that 5fps works superbly for my requirements.
I guess I was thinking about catching license plates where the higher frame rates makes it easier but I guess I'm thinking of the dashcam world.

hotwire

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you use Sighthound to record your cameras the 30 fps seems to help the software correctly tag the motion as an object or a person.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I guess I was thinking about catching license plates where the higher frame rates makes it easier but I guess I'm thinking of the dashcam world.
You can set your 4MP cam to 1080p (2MP) resolution and record at 30 fps if you absolutely need that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are doing lpr, you dont need 4mp...in fact most lpr cameras at 1mp or less. You can easily get a plate at 15fps...its a non issue.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are doing lpr, you dont need 4mp...in fact most lpr cameras at 1mp or less. You can easily get a plate at 15fps...its a non issue.
For my own information, would shutter speed matter more than fps?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For my own information, would shutter speed matter more than fps?
For night shots with IR, the exposure settings are most important.
See, these treads for some great insight by @dalepa and the late networkcameracritic...
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/516-Dedicated-License-Plate-Cam-project/page2?highlight=plate
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?2242-License-Plates-at-Night&highlight=plate
The angle of the camera to plate is important is well...

olli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does Hikvision have 4MP cameras with Wi-Fi & SD slot?

EDIT: Is this one ok?

TaHzO

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi olli, the camera with WiFi and SD slot should be DS-2CD2142FWD-IW. The S indicates Audio/Alarm IO. They do have SD slot.

olli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, thank you for your reply. I linked to DS-2CD2145F-I W S camera, I think it has both Wifi and SD slot.