NEW 1080P Wifi Video Doorbell!

nutt318

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes it was, Well thru the phone BI app. I used my phone to export the video and then upload to YouTube. Not sure if export quality is any different local export but it looked pretty good to me. I just installed it Saturday, so I'll do some looking to see if I got anyone close talking.

*Edit Note: I did have to add about a 2 second delay on the video to match with the audio in BI

Last edited:

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for all the reviews. We have shipped all doorbells out with the latest firmware which is dated 12012017 so at this point there is no need for anyone to upgrade as you already have the newest. Once we get a new firmware, we will definetely update this thread.

BTW, we give $10 for each video review submitted to us!: Save on your next purchase from Nelly's! - Nelly's Security

The Fury

n3wb
Reaction score
Just tried to install this camera today and can't get it to work so perhaps someone here will be able to help out.
1. Biggest problem right now is it keeps ringing the doorbell over and over. I didn't time it but I would say every 60 seconds it rings.
2. The red light keeps flashing (no blue light period).
3. Could not get it to connect to wireless
3. I tried to reboot and connect manually - the app said "Hold the reset button for 5s before connecting to a network. You will hear the voice prompt Start configuring Wi-Fi" -- absolutely no noises from the unit.

I am hoping this was just a defective unit or perhaps I installed it incorrectly. I will be contacting Nelly's Security on Monday 12/18/17 to see if they have any troubleshooting ideas. Perhaps I can connect it to a 24v a/c power supply and test on a bench or something.

Thanks for any insight!
This is EXACTLY what's happening to me. After reading the whole thread it seems like we got defective units. I've requested a refund and reordered from Amazon. Hope it's not another dud!

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is EXACTLY what's happening to me. After reading the whole thread it seems like we got defective units. I've requested a refund and reordered from Amazon. Hope it's not another dud!
Did you check that you’re getting at least 16VAC at the doorbell both when the doorbell is connected and when it isn’t?

Next you could remove the wires at the chime (labeled transformer and front) and place the resistor in the kit in place of the chime. Again make sure you have at least 16VAC at the doorbell and then try to configure the doorbell. If it works and you can see video, you may have something going on at the chime.

The Fury

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you check that you’re getting at least 16VAC at the doorbell both when the doorbell is connected and when it isn’t?

Next you could remove the wires at the chime (labeled transformer and front) and place the resistor in the kit in place of the chime. Again make sure you have at least 16VAC at the doorbell and then try to configure the doorbell. If it works and you can see video, you may have something going on at the chime.
I'm so glad I decided to post here. After checking the voltage, it looks like it was only getting about 12.8 volts to the doorbell. After a lot of searching I tracked down the transformer for the bell to BEHIND the breaker box. I saw it was only a 10V transformer! I'll pick up a new one and see how it goes. Hopefully that was my problem all along! I'll report back after I get it done and if it works, I hope it helps others! Thanks so much!

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm so glad I decided to post here. After checking the voltage, it looks like it was only getting about 12.8 volts to the doorbell. After a lot of searching I tracked down the transformer for the bell to BEHIND the breaker box. I saw it was only a 10V transformer! I'll pick up a new one and see how it goes. Hopefully that was my problem all along! I'll report back after I get it done and if it works, I hope it helps others! Thanks so much!
Glad you found the issue. Pretty certain that has to be whats causing the issue. If anyone needs to get either a replacement chime or transformer and you are looking for a recommendation, we have these setup here at Nelly's with our doorbell and experience no issues at all.

Chime

Transformer

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

The Fury

n3wb
Reaction score
Glad you found the issue. Pretty certain that has to be whats causing the issue. If anyone needs to get either a replacement chime or transformer and you are looking for a recommendation, we have these setup here at Nelly's with our doorbell and experience no issues at all.

Chime

Transformer
I've got some good news and bad news unfortunately. I bought a new transformer (16V/10VAC) and I tested the voltage at the doorbell and I'm now getting about 19.8V. I can now setup the doorbell and have it connect to wifi BUT it works sporadically. More often then not, the app has issues connecting to the camera. I also managed to connect it to Blue Iris without any issues but it consistently drops fps and loses the connection altogether. I do have another front door wifi ip camera that is located near it and it works perfectly fine. I've checked my wifi router and the wifi signal shows it to be really strong. Is it possible that it's now got too much power? Should I try to use the resistor that came with the doorbell?

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got some good news and bad news unfortunately. I bought a new transformer (16V/10VAC) and I tested the voltage at the doorbell and I'm now getting about 19.8V. I can now setup the doorbell and have it connect to wifi BUT it works sporadically. More often then not, the app has issues connecting to the camera. I also managed to connect it to Blue Iris without any issues but it consistently drops fps and loses the connection altogether. I do have another front door wifi ip camera that is located near it and it works perfectly fine. I've checked my wifi router and the wifi signal shows it to be really strong. Is it possible that it's now got too much power? Should I try to use the resistor that came with the doorbell?
I doubt it is power problem as 19.8VAC is fine. Your clue is that you're losing connection to Blue Iris, I think WiFi is the issue. As a test, can you move the router closer to the doorbell or try a repeater?

The Fury

n3wb
Reaction score
I doubt it is power problem as 19.8VAC is fine. Your clue is that you're losing connection to Blue Iris, I think WiFi is the issue. As a test, can you move the router closer to the doorbell or try a repeater?
Yup, I'll give it a shot after work and will report back...thanks!

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd suggest shutting down the other WiFi camera and see if the doorbell camera stays connected. RF connections can be pretty flaky at times, especially with two transceiver close to each other and on the same channel.

The Fury

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd suggest shutting down the other WiFi camera and see if the doorbell camera stays connected. RF connections can be pretty flaky at times, especially with two transceiver close to each other and on the same channel.
I'll try testing that as well. Thanks for the help!

Kingram

n3wb
Reaction score

Chime

Transformer
Which Wi-Fi repeater do you recommend ?

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Power shouldnt be the issue so I recommend not to use the resistor as that could cause more problems if you wire it incorrectly. We have tested ours with 24VAC power supplies and it works fine so 19V should be just fine. So i think you are good there.

To diagnose this type of issue, i try to figure out if its one of 2 things: Your Wifi or your Internet

Internet: The app does go thru a cloud P2P server which uses your internet connection so it could be either the Cloud Server having a temporary issue or your internet speeds are not adequate. This is usually pretty rare as the P2P server rarely has issues and when they do, they are very short lived. Also the doorbell utilizes fairly little bandwidth as well so unless you have really slow internet speeds, this shouldnt be an issue either. To test if this is the cause, I normally have the customer observe the doorbell video on their NVR or on the doorbells web interface. If its nice and smooth when viewing thru these methods, but is slow and losing connection when viewing it on the app, then that normally indicates either a weak internet speed or a temporary issue with the cloud P2P server

Wifi: But I think we can rule internet issues out because of the fact that it keeps dropping from Blue Iris. I think it could be the wifi connection. Blue Iris uses a LAN connection and doesnt go thru any cloud services at all. Basically you are pulling in the doorbells local ip address into blue iris which doesnt go thru any cloud service and doesnt utilize any internet at all (unless of course you are viewing blue iris remotely over the internet)

Not sure if you have defaulted it yet since you got the new transformer but I would do that if you havent and start with a fresh connection. Here are instructs:
H Series Doorbell Camera Quickstart Guide - Nelly's Security

Let us know where that gets you. I will also be following up shortly with a firmware upgrade, although the release notes do not indicate anything that would solve any of your issues, upgrading a firmware when you are having issues sometimes do magically solve problems

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Which Wi-Fi repeater do you recommend ?
I use this one on mine:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L0YLRUW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Easy to setup and works like a champ.

This probably sounds like a silly thing to say but its a fairly easy mistake to make and I have seen it happen with a couple of customers already. But if you initially setup your doorbell with your routers wifi, and you then buy a wifi repeater after the fact, you will need to reconnect your doorbell to the new wifi repeaters wifi. I have seen some people add a wifi repeater to their setup and complain that they are getting no better performance, after doing some digging, i found that they still had their doorbell connected straight to their routers wifi.

So basically this means you will need to default your camera and re-add it to the new wifi repeaters wifi. Again, here are instructs on how to default: H Series Doorbell Camera Quickstart Guide - Nelly's Security

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You may want to name the extended WiFi's SSID something other than the primary SSID. For example, if your home's SSID is MyHouse, then name the extender's WiFi's SSID "MyHouse_ext" so you know that you are indeed connecting to the extender. Note you can use the same password for both SSIDs and that you must have your phone (running either the Guarding Vision or HikConnect app) connected to the MyHouse_ext SSID, not to the main SSID.

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Alrighty my friends got a new firmware update for the doorbell. Nothing real earth shattering and no real new features added from the last firmware. Appears to have simply improved a little bit of performance issues. I have been running this on our 2 test bells here at work and haven't really noticed any differences but we weren't really having any issues to begin with on ours.

I am sometimes asked if its crucial if you should update the firmware or not. It depends on your situation. With small firmware updates like this, I would only recommend upgrading if:
- You are having some sort of performance issue on your doorbell and you want to see if a firmware upgrade will solve it (sometimes they solve more problems than what is stated in the change log)
- You simply just want to have the latest firmware

If your doorbell is performing fine and you dont really want to mess with upgrading the firmware, then don't do it as you most likely wont notice any difference.

Here is a temp link to the FW until I get my web designer back and we will update our site with it: digicap.dav

Attached are the release notes

To upgrade your firmware, login to your doorbells web interface via the doorbells IP address being inputted into Internet Explorer:
upload_2018-1-18_11-38-23.png

Attachments

The Fury

n3wb
Reaction score
Well it looks like that was it! After using an extender and placing it basically next to the doorbell, it was doing the same thing. Sporadically working. After unplugging my other wifi IP camera, the connection is really solid. I'm able to connect via the Android app with no problems and consistently for the last 2 hours so thank you very much. My only issue now is trying to get the right settings in Blue Iris. I'm no longer having disconnect issues but it's still only having about an average of 2 fps with an average bit rate of 50 kB/s. I've attached my settings that Blue Iris detected. I feel like these need to be changed if anyone could help me out with that, it would be greatly appreciated!
blue iris.PNG

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad that cleared your connection problem. Remember BI will only use the frame rate it "sees" or is supplied by the camera. I'm not a fan of WiFi for cameras, as you may have guessed, so wired is the next thing to do.