NEW 1080P Wifi Video Doorbell!

rayt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so i have a mechanical chime. when i ring the door bell, it just goes DING..

back then it used to go DING DONG. is there anything i can do to resolve this?

Type2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay going to give it one last try with the resistor. Soldered up a quick connect so I can minimize my exposure to 15 degree weather and for convenience:

Attachments

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey @rayt, can you send us a few pictures of how you have it connected and of your wiring?

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
so i have a mechanical chime. when i ring the door bell, it just goes DING..

back then it used to go DING DONG. is there anything i can do to resolve this?
We had another guy report that as well. Basically it opens the relay alot quicker than a normal doorbell push button does. I noticed that it sped up the "ding dong" sound on my doorbell and did the same thing on our test chime here at work. Im not sure why it only dings on some chimes but I assume it has something to do with the quick relay opening.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Stiffer return springs on some door bells. Remember how they work, the magnetic field pulls the armature out to hit one chime, while the return spring forces it back, once current is removed, into the other chime. If the spring is a little "stiff" a quick pulse won't make the armature move far enough/fast enough to hit that first chime. The result will be a "dong" not a "ding-dong".

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Stiffer return springs on some door bells. Remember how they work, the magnetic field pulls the armature out to hit one chime, while the return spring forces it back, once current is removed, into the other chime. If the spring is a little "stiff" a quick pulse won't make the armature move far enough/fast enough to hit that first chime. The result will be a "dong" not a "ding-dong".
If that's the case then I would think that could be easily fixed in firmware by simply making the circuit closed pulse a bit longer. I just received the doorbell and it only "dongs" my chime. I tried it on a friends home and it ding-dongs his chime.

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If that's the case then I would think that could be easily fixed in firmware by simply making the circuit closed pulse a bit longer.
The longer the circuit is closed, the longer the camera has no (or significantly less) power, so there's likely a safe limit before you start having the camera wig out or reboot.

rayt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If that's the case then I would think that could be easily fixed in firmware by simply making the circuit closed pulse a bit longer. I just received the doorbell and it only "dongs" my chime. I tried it on a friends home and it ding-dongs his chime.
Thanks will look into this.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
An alternative fix would be to "modify" the return spring in the door bell to make it a little "looser". Just getting the "dong" would seem to indicate the armature isn't traveling far enough due to a stiff spring. Just a guess on my part.

nutt318

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just got the doorbell cam installed and so far its working pretty great with the guardingvision app.

However in BI there is about a second delay in the audio from the video. Any suggestions for syncing these? Also I dont see any firmware listed on Nellys yet for this unless im totally missing it..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just got the doorbell cam installed and so far its working pretty great with the guardingvision app.

However in BI there is about a second delay in the audio from the video. Any suggestions for syncing these? Also I dont see any firmware listed on Nellys yet for this unless im totally missing it..
try camera properties > video>delay in blue iris, that should delay the video so it syncs up..

nutt318

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@fenderman Awesome, thanks! Had no idea that was even there.

Know anything about firmware updates for this?

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went ahead and purchased the doorbell from Nelly's. Here are my thoughts, a bit random but hopefully complete.

Installation, please see posted pics. Since the wires to my doorbell are lamp/appliance wiring (18 gauge stranded copper with thick insulation, like a lamp cord) and protrude straight out of the mortar there was no way to flush mount the doorbell to the brick and make the connections. So I purchased a Decora switch wall plate that give you about 3/8" clearance from the brick to the doorbell. I drilled a couple of holes in the plate for the doorbell and JB welded in a couple of nuts so I could mount the doorbell after the plate was secured to the brick. No exposed screws this way. I placed weather stripping on the back of the plate (top and sides) to prevent water intrusion and used the doorbell's gasket to the plate. To connect the wires I used the doorbell's included connector but cut it in two to lay flat on the brick. I think the install went well. Very easy to link the Guardian Vision app to the doorbell.

The doorbell would really benefit from a camera axis adjustment. See the pics. Really wish I could aim it towards the entrance. Another thought would be to offer a wedge gasket of say 15 degrees so one could mount it facing left or right. A simple plastic part to include with the doorbell and would be very helpful. The IR reflection makes night time viewing horrendous. Also, you cannot disable the doorbell's IR which I really would like to as there's an outdoor IP camera a few feet above the doorbell that has plenty of IR.

My setup uses a 16VAC 10VA transformer and a mechanical chime. The chime used to ding-dong but now only dings. However, I had to disable the chime altogether. The plunger that sits in the coil on a spring would dance around in the chime often rattling loudly. It does this because the doorbell is always pulling power at various current levels so the chime's coil is energized and the plunger vibrates. So I secured the plunger in place, no more ding or dong. This possibly could be rectified with another model of chime but my guess is that any chime will have "slop" in the plunger to coil hole as they don't want them to stick and don't expect them to be energized except momentarily when the bell is rung.

Does it work? Kind of. The Guarding Vision app usually connects but sometimes says "network unstable" and won't connect. A couple more tries and it works. They WiFi strength at the doorbell is high and I get over 20Mbps down and 10Mbps up at that location on my iPhone. I tried a different router's WiFi only 20 feet away from the doorbell, same result, so I'm certain the issue isn't WiFi strength. For that matter there is a HikVision and a Foscam WiFi camera within a few feet from the doorbell that never ever has any issues. Firmware version of the doorbell is 1.4.62 build 171201. I'm hoping future FW versions will help. Also, some doorbell presses don't alert the app. The doorbell chimes but no phone alert. A bit disappointing.

The web interface to the doorbell is typical HikVision but missing many features. There's no playback function and you cannot view or change the IP address. You can change the IP address via SADP but then you cannot link the doorbell to the Guardian app. Not really too big an issue unless you want to assign the doorbell an IP address, which in my case I would as I like to have my cameras and NVR on an upper range of IP addresses. I can live with this. The fonts used to display time and date are not modifiable and I believe they really are too small when viewed on a smartphone. There's a feature called "Power Booster" but I have no idea what that does. It is off by default.

The doorbell easily connects to my HikVision NVR (DS-7616NI-E2) in HV mode. In the GV app I turned off motion detection alerts but this also disables motion alerts to the NVR. Very disappointing, ideally I would like my phone to be alerted only upon a doorbell press but the NVR to record anytime there's a motion trigger. I cannot make this happen. Also, in this mode the doorbell only records to its SD card upon doorbell presses, no motion recording. I think FW could fix this and really needs to happen.

With my phone set to vibrate only, the GV app still rings the phone rather than only vibrate it. This will be a big issue in many settings where you do NOT want your phone to make noise. Contempt of court anyone? I hope this can be fixed.

Voice quality. Although I've turned up the volume and microphone sensitivity both to max, the doorbell's volume is rather low as is it's pickup of sounds relayed to the phone. Compared to my friend's Ring Pro its volume is too low.

In a nutshell:
- must improve WiFi stability!
- must be able to disable IR
- must allow for motion triggered recording to SD and NVR without alerting the GV app
- really need chime extenders. Why even keep the old mechanical chime unit given the problems it can create? Have the doorbell signal WiFi enabled AC plug-in chime units that you can place all around the house/garage (anywhere that has good WiFi strength) and you've solved another homeowner issue where you can't here the doorbell in some rooms or if the TV/stereo is on.
- must include an off axis gasket/shim and/or mounting plate to aim camera
- really need to improve on voice volume level and microphone sensitivity
- would be nice to be able to change the IP of the doorbell and have the GV app follow along (change the IP from within the GV app would be nice)
- would be nice for the doorbell to report its WiFi strength and incoming voltage to ensure neither are a problem
- my phone's battery is depleting faster than usual and it reports the GV's background app is to blame. This could be a showstopper. Need to fix this if possible. I need to spend more time with the doorbell but if this is the case then the doorbell gets thrown in my pile of obsolete electronics, along with my cash and efforts.

Well that's it for now.

Attachments

Last edited:

nutt318

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here are some of my thoughts which most duplicate @scn101 review but anyways heres what I have to say.

Installation was very easy, I ended up not using the included connector and instead solder and shrink tub the wires. Going thru the quickstart guide on Nellys site with the GuardingVision app was easy and worked great.

From time to time the GV app doesnt show the video when there is a ring on the doorbell but more than likely an issue with the app. The app seems to work fine but will only use if someone actually rings the doorbell and will continue to use the BI app for viewing alerts. BI records motion just fine however I'm still trying to adjust the settings in BI to pick up cars driving by as it doesn't always catch them with the motion detection turned all the way up.

The camera could use more features, hopefully newer firmware will add functions like the rest of the NSC cameras firmware. The network settings missing to statically assign an address is kinda weird along with no image adjustments for color/night vision mode. I'm running the lastest firmware as posted from above.

Recommendations:
Match firmware to other NSC cameras if possible.
Mic recording distortion
Wifi Signal Strength
IR Options

Overall I'm happy and already have friends wanting to buy these.

IMG_7022.jpg IMG_7023.jpg IMG_7024.JPG IMG_7025.JPG IMG_7029.JPG

nutt318

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry forgot to include sample video, only played with volume levels a bit but any suggestions on helping the audio quality I'm all ears.

Just seems to have a whistle effect on distance noises, however people talking on the porch in front of house is clear.

Last edited:

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry forgot to include sample video, only played with volume levels a bit but any suggestions on helping the audio quality I'm all ears.

Just seems to have a whistle effect on distance noises, however people talking on the porch in front of house is clear.

@nutt318 Is this video recorded on BI? What about one that has a person at the door? Like a delivery person.