New here and looking for a new system

Kailef

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking to invest in a new security camera system. I've looked at several websites such as Lorex, CCTV Security Pros, LA View Security, and even glanced over some of the systems on Amazon from Amcrest, Reolink, etc..

I would appreciate a bit of guidance from everyone here.

The current system I'm running is an older one I purchased about 4 years ago from CCTV Security Pros. It's still a good system. It's running and never had an issue with theirs at all. It's an older system though that's BNC and the quality isn't that great because it doesn't support the new MP type cameras. I'm looking to go IP because when you zoom on BNC, I've heard the zooming quality is nowhere near compared to IP since it's digital. For that reason, I was considering an IP system this time that's POE.

I'm looking to invest around $2000 or so. I do want a 16 channel and will go with just 8 cameras now and slowly add more later. Looking to get 1 or 2 optical zooms and at least a few with audio(whether one-way or two-way).

I've heard of Hikvision before but I'll admit I'm at a loss when it comes to security system knowledge. I'm pretty tech-savvy and know my way around security system settings and networking, but the new technology, quality, etc...I could use some advice on. I was hoping to get something that could push quality and I just did purchase a new 4K smart TV from Samsung that could support 4k cameras.

The reason I was considering CCTV Security Pros was because of their previous system still running perfectly fine and the fact that their new NVR's come with 4 hard drive bays and can support up to 32 TB's.(8 TB's per bay). So I was considering at least buying their NVR that's ONVIF 2.4 compliant. I know i bought some older cameras a few years back that worked perfectly on their DVR that I still use.

I hope it's okay to provide a link, but here are the 2 NVR's I was considering if I go with CCTV Security Pros:
This one: 16 Channel IP Camera POE Network Video Recorder (PC, Cell, Tablet Remote View)
or this one: 32 Channel IP 4K Network Video Recorder with 8 Hard Drive Bays

I am open to suggestions though. I never heard of Lorex until a few months ago when I saw their systems in Best Buy. I have read a lot of reviews about the systems I mentioned at the beginning, but I also know no company can provide 100% satisfaction. I try not to let reviews influence me, but I'm just trying to do my due diligence by reaching out here to get additional input.

Should I go with one of these companies or do you guys recommend something else?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Welcome to the land of video surveillance lunatics. Be sure to check the WiKI, in the blue bar at the top of the page. Study, carefully on a real computer, the Cliff Notes in there. There is also a lot of other good information for sizing a system and keeping it safe on the internet, foil the "phone home" features. Read, study plan, ask questions, revise plans and test before spending money. It'll save you time, frustration and money in the end. There's tons of reviews here on cameras, and NVRs to help confuse you even more when trying to make a decision.

If you want a good, actually good, system at a reasonable price check with Andy at Empire Tech/King Security. He deals with mostly Dahua but also has some Hikvision. Additionally, IPCT sells Hikvision and Amcrest. One more is Nelly's Security, also here on IPCT. You'll find most people here use Blue Iris on a stand alone PC rather than an NVR. WiFi, Reolink and Foscam, just to name a few, are "consumer grade" equipment and, in spite of their advertised claims, poor performers especially at night.

kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:
forum: EmpireTech Andy

Reaction score
Welcome and take your time setting up your new system. Read the wiki notes and get out a pen and paper to write down your preferred setup. If you want good nighttime camera captures, you should go with 2 or 4mp starlight cameras. Also consider adding more lighting around your place to enhance the night time footage. I purchased a PC from the wiki list of PC's that can handle multi camera setups. Also consider buying varifocal cameras and non varifocal cameras. So that you can have an overview camera and a zoomed in camera of the same area. This way the zoomed in camera can get a good facial picture if needed. Check out this thread. Good luck and ask questions as well as study the wiki notes.

Why do you have TWO cameras in one location.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
Read study plan before spending money.
How many cameras are you planning?
Kits are a compromise, they have to cut corners some where to keep the price down.

Cameras are a surveillance system not a security system, cameras are mostly for after the fact.
Start with defining the problem, not the solution, start with a good property layout, with what areas you are planning on covering. Do you park your cars in the driveway ? Do you have packages delivered to your front door ? Do you want to capture and record licenses plats of cars passing your house. Do you have young children that play in the front yard ?
-----------------------------------------

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking to invest in a new security camera system. I've looked at several websites such as Lorex, CCTV Security Pros, LA View Security, and even glanced over some of the systems on Amazon from Amcrest, Reolink, etc..

Should I go with one of these companies or do you guys recommend something else?
Welcome @Kailef

Take your time to determine your needs, see the cliff notes, check out the forum's posts, check out the reviews by members.

Look at the various Lorex, LaView, and other brands mentioned here.

Lorex is now mostly selling Dahua OEM
LaView has sold products from various OEMs ..
Amcrest is here so search for the thread on them, they've got some newer models which are Dahua OEM

Reolink is not liked by members for various reasons - see the threads on that.

If you've got good coax cabling run, I would consider also just updating your coax system with a newer and better one.