New home.. need suggestions

rajsv

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All - I am new to this forum (like 5 mins).... I am building a new home and need suggestions if i need to go for prewiring for security camera? The builder option includes CAT5, RG6, 20-2, 1 Plug and charges $350 for prewiring two cameras. Is this worth it?
I understand I cant use these prewiring for cameras like nest, ring, arlo which needs power outlet and I believe it is more for POE cameras? Should i go for prewiring or simply just add couple of exterior plug to hook up the cameras or go completely wireless (battery operated).
I need to confirm the builder tomorrow. Appreciate your inputs to pick the best option.

Armin773

n3wb
Reaction score
Me personally I would run my own Ethernet cables to places I want the cameras installed, like I did to my current house installed 8 cameras with the help of a friend.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
If you run the Cat5 or Cat6 cable, you can power an IP camera with POE. No need for an electrical outlet. Maybe that would save you a few bucks per drop.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
Use the correct cable. Always run a minimum of two cables to each location.
Do not mount your cameras to high, You want to know what happen and WHO did it.
For the front door two cameras, one looking at the package drop location,. and one camera mounted at about 5 ft showing who is coming to the door.
Two cameras on the garage, one on each side pointing out, no higher than the top of the door.
For general internet have at least one connection in each room of the house.
Are you putting cameras in the house, baby monitor, pet monitoring, put in network connectors for those cameras.
Run all your cables to the location where your will mount your network equipment.

----------------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All - I am new to this forum (like 5 mins).... I am building a new home and need suggestions if i need to go for prewiring for security camera? The builder option includes CAT5, RG6, 20-2, 1 Plug and charges $350 for prewiring two cameras. Is this worth it?
I understand I cant use these prewiring for cameras like nest, ring, arlo which needs power outlet and I believe it is more for POE cameras? Should i go for prewiring or simply just add couple of exterior plug to hook up the cameras or go completely wireless (battery operated).
I need to confirm the builder tomorrow. Appreciate your inputs to pick the best option.
Welcome @rajsv

"I need to confirm the builder tomorrow. Appreciate your inputs to pick the best option."

Can you get more time to decide??? imho .. really you need to take the weekend to go through this site and the notes.

$350 per location includes all the cables listed ( CAT5, RG6, 20-2, 1 Plug ) and plugging in 2 cameras??? ( 1 plug? 15 amp power plug? )

Double check cat5 is old specs - you want at least cat5e. Also you need quality cable.. not CCA, and the appropriate sheathing quality,...

Is the framing up?
Have you tested possible positions to determine where you need to place cameras?

Remember, cabling done by contractors often will not be going to the proper positions - they typically mount them too high. ( you want the cameras 6-8 feet high )

See the cliff notes - we have lots of notes on this.

Bottom line:
  • Builders often fail bring cables to the best positions.
  • Over cable. N+1 cat6/5e to each location.
  • Remember the inside runs also.. at least 2 cat5e/6 drops to each room.

remember you need to check out the build out each day and hire an independent inspector to double check the work ( based on what others have shared here on their build outs )

Last edited:

rajsv

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome @rajsv

"I need to confirm the builder tomorrow. Appreciate your inputs to pick the best option."

Can you get more time to decide??? imho .. really you need to take the weekend to go through this site and the notes.

$350 per location includes all the cables listed ( CAT5, RG6, 20-2, 1 Plug ) and plugging in 2 cameras??? ( 1 plug? 15 amp power plug? )

Double check cat5 is old specs - you want at least cat5e. Also you need quality cable.. not CCA, and the appropriate sheathing quality,...

Is the framing up?
Have you tested possible positions to determine where you need to place cameras?

Remember, cabling done by contractors often will not be going to the proper positions - they typically mount them too high. ( you want the cameras 6-8 feet high )

See the cliff notes - we have lots of notes on this.

Bottom line:
  • Builders often fail bring cables to the best positions.
  • Over cable. N+1 cat6/5e to each location.
  • Remember the inside runs also.. at least 2 cat5e/6 drops to each room.

remember you need to check out the build out each day and hire an independent inspector to double check the work ( based on what others have shared here on their build outs )
Yes includes all the cables for $350. It is indeed CAT5e. I am not sure on the plug but yes, it is for two cameras.
I know the locations where i want the cameras to be placed.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes includes all the cables for $350. It is indeed CAT5e. I am not sure on the plug but yes, it is for two cameras.
I know the locations where i want the cameras to be placed.
How many cables do you have going to the front door?

Have you tested the locations?

Often just moving the camera a bit can make a significant difference.

rajsv

n3wb
Reaction score
How many cables do you have going to the front door?

Have you tested the locations?

Often just moving the camera a bit can make a significant difference.
I was planning to keep it simple. I am thinking to use doorbell and one more wireless camera in front door. I was going to install the POE cameras on the side and back to cover my backyard and garage on the back.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was planning to keep it simple. I am thinking to use doorbell and one more wireless camera in front door. I was going to install the POE cameras on the side and back to cover my backyard and garage on the back.
Hi Rajsv,

WiFi cameras are problematic, especially with some of the foil house wraps now used.

Now is a great time to drop 2 ( update 2x 2 pair of ) cat6/5e cables to the front door area - 2 at door bell height, 2 at face height... even if you just use 2 of the 4 cables - better to have run extra now while it is easy to do.

Honestly, take some more time to think this out carefully. See the cliff notes and other threads on this topic. Cabling enough and to the right locations while the walls are open is the best value.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't use Nest, Arlo, Ring, Wyze or battery operated cams or WIFi in general for cams. You will regret it.
I 2nd Mats advice, on a real computer, study this: Cliff Notes.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @rajsv

Feel free to share with us how it goes, and any advice you'd like to share with others on working with the contractors.
( some I found are nice to work with.. and others a real challenge... )