New House - What Doorbell & Camera System

remsta

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster.

My parents are building a new house back in Australia and looking to install security camera's and a Video Doorbell. When they first gave me this project my initial thoughts were:
1x Nest Hello
6x Nest Outdoor
1x Google Home Hub
1x Nest x Yale Lock
1x Nest Secure

They have a Nest Hello with a Google Home Hub (in the kitchen) today, which is nice and easy for them and it works flawlessly every time. Part of me wants them to stay in this eco-system because they are useless when it comes to tech and if it 'doesn't just work' they won't use it and I will never hear the end of it.

However, as part of this new house, it will be fenced off from the street and and they want a gate with access control. This mean's you need to be able to 'buzz' or 'unlock' the gate when someone is there in order to let them in. I have done extensive digging and this does not seem to be possible with a Nest Hello which means they would need to come out every-time, that isn't going to work.

This got me looking at Doorbird, which integrates with Dahua. I have read that Dahua are some of the best cameras on the market and most of the other brands such as Swann, Reolink, Lorex etc.. are just renamed Dahua cameras. Now I am torn whether or not I go down this path or suggest to them to stick with Nest and not give the gate Access Control, just put a smart lock on the front door.

Other option:
  • A POE camera system with a onsite NVR
  • Doorbird Lock with gate integration and gate release button on the inside.
  • Some home security system (yet to research)

Things that worry me:
  • How will they control the gate from the inside? I see Dahua and Doorbird integrate, but where are the gate controls? Does Dahua have some sort of screen?
  • Dahua NVR App and iOS app are garbage, look like they haven't been updated in decades where Nest is a clean smooth 2020 style app that always works
  • Dahua Mention Push Notification Alerts on iOS are horrible at best - read reviews that they never work etc.
  • Doorbird - I have read the camera is no good, it only displays single images when someone rings. How does the video get recorded?

Any advice on this and other peoples experiences would be very welcome, I have spent far to many hours on this and seem to be going in circles!

Note: the house is totally brand new, but plans are being finalized so cabling etc needs to be decided soon.

Thanks!

megazone23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it's building a new house, it's the best time to wire Cat6A or Cat7 ethernet cable all around the house. A mesh system with wired backhaul will give the most reliable connection.
And the same reason, a POE system will be better than a wifi system, which can also easily defeated by wifi jammer. When the camera can't connect to the router to store any data and without storage on the camera, they are useless.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Check out Dahua intercom/gate thread:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
Please read,study,plan before spending money.
Nest is crap.
------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Before asking a question search the forum first...
The best way to search the forum is to use Google
In the google search window enter.. site:ipcamtalk.com ?????? ..where ?????? is the items/terms you are interested in.
Example site:ipcamtalk.com PALE MOON BROWSER

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

ArmoredDragon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat as the OP, new house and starting from scratch (had cameras at my old house, hence posting here in the past, but was renting for several years.) My house is already built even though it's brand new, though I can't see much mention of this when searching - Does blue iris work well when run from a server? I already have enterprise grade equipment ( 750Wh UPS, Cisco WS-3750G-24PS switch, 3 32GB vmware nodes with 18TB of vSan storage.) In my old setup, I relied upon the cameras managing their own storage on my NAS, and I'd like to retain that HTTP based replay functionality rather than having everything tied to a physical windows computer. Sorry, just feels a bit retro to me lol.

Oh, bonus points if the setup integrates well with my hubitat and has a decent app that works for ShieldTV (all of my TVs are driven by them.)

Also, any comments on cameras being mounted at my roof line? It's roughly 9.5ft, going lower isn't practical without having the cable running externally along the wall, which I'd really like to avoid. Anybody have any solutions for that?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Things that worry me:
  • How will they control the gate from the inside? I see Dahua and Doorbird integrate, but where are the gate controls? Does Dahua have some sort of screen?
  • Dahua NVR App and iOS app are garbage, look like they haven't been updated in decades where Nest is a clean smooth 2020 style app that always works
  • Dahua Mention Push Notification Alerts on iOS are horrible at best - read reviews that they never work etc.
Hi, I just fly in to counter these counter arguments:
  • Dahua (with the VTO/VTH) combination does have inhouse screens possiblity, even with relais capability (eg turn on/activate electric door/fence). This can be done on a dedicated touch screen (with camera feed) or cell phone/tablet. See point 2
  • Dahua NVR app on both Android and iOS are getting bi-weekly updates here. Sometimes things break after an update, but claiming they "didn't update in decades" is a false statement.
  • Those reviews often got suggestions from others (including myself) but the topic starters often do not come back (because it did work/solve their problem?). I use Dahua iOS app (in combination of VTO/VTH/NVR) for more than 3 years now, I did not miss ANY push notification, but I did not use it like the manual suggested either: I do not use P2P, I do not use their QR code registration. All is isolated in a nice vlan, VPN client is required to access the video feeds and the locks.

In the light of the last point: if you want plug&play, you might better stay away from this solution and pick a ready-from-the-shelf product.

Happy camming!
CC

nickmroz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I just fly in to counter these counter arguments:
  • Dahua (with the VTO/VTH) combination does have inhouse screens possiblity, even with relais capability (eg turn on/activate electric door/fence). This can be done on a dedicated touch screen (with camera feed) or cell phone/tablet. See point 2
  • Dahua NVR app on both Android and iOS are getting bi-weekly updates here. Sometimes things break after an update, but claiming they "didn't update in decades" is a false statement.
  • Those reviews often got suggestions from others (including myself) but the topic starters often do not come back (because it did work/solve their problem?). I use Dahua iOS app (in combination of VTO/VTH/NVR) for more than 3 years now, I did not miss ANY push notification, but I did not use it like the manual suggested either: I do not use P2P, I do not use their QR code registration. All is isolated in a nice vlan, VPN client is required to access the video feeds and the locks.

In the light of the last point: if you want plug&play, you might better stay away from this solution and pick a ready-from-the-shelf product.

Happy camming!
CC
You seem like the guy to talk to to setup the Cht vto combos, I have setup a few I pretty much get the standard setup. I have a few vto’s and 3 Vth’s. No becomes the challenge if I can add in DoorBird as a vto. Any help is welcome lol

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the flowers @nickmroz, but I'm not a doorbird expert.

From what I found on my google-list, is that Doorbird does support SIP, which means, if your VTO's and VTH's are already on SIP, you might have a good shot to hook them up alltogether!

remsta

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@nickmroz We are just about to finish our house where I did what feels like almost a year worth of research and its all coming together very nicely. Can let you know what we did once it is done