New Member. Looking to move on from Zmodo sPOE 8 channel mistake.

Drugsbyjoe

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been reading the forums after my Zmodo SPOE injector switch died and I found out that other POE switches can't be used in its place. I do not like the idea having to dish out $60 every time their "special" POE injector burns out, so I am looking to either:

1. Upgrade all the cameras to regular POE cameras, if they're compatible with current Zmodo NVR/App, or
2. Replace everything

Also, how is it possible to record to my ReadyNAS to get more recorded time vs. buying cloud space?

I'm open to suggestions and/or corrections to any statement I made. Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd opt for option #2 and replace it all. Their sPOE (simplified POE) is not 8023.af or 802.3at compliant and is about 15 to 19 volt passive, so even their sPOE NVR is not compatible with any new 8023.af or 802.3at compliant "POE" cams.

NOTE: if you used their supplied Ethernet cables, most of those were only 2 pairs, not 4, and will also need to be replaced if that's the case. Which, by the way, could very well be CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) instead of solid, pure copper. CCA is a big no-no, especially for POE.

I'd read the Cliff Notes up in the Wiki, start saving some coin and shotgun that whole Zmodo system...you'll be glad you did.

I'll defer to others regarding ReadyNAS (I have a PC running Blue Iris).

Welcome to IPCT! :)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been reading the forums after my Zmodo SPOE injector switch died and I found out that other POE switches can't be used in its place. I do not like the idea having to dish out $60 every time their "special" POE injector burns out, so I am looking to either:

1. Upgrade all the cameras to regular POE cameras, if they're compatible with current Zmodo NVR/App, or
2. Replace everything

Also, how is it possible to record to my ReadyNAS to get more recorded time vs. buying cloud space?

I'm open to suggestions and/or corrections to any statement I made. Thanks
Welcome Drugsbyjoe

I concur with TonyR

re: zmodo - they're 100% fraudulent in describing their products as "PoE" - really their system only is physically using the RJ45 ( "ethernet" ) connector and even that they could have just used an RJ11 ( telephone ) conector. - so really a crappy deception.

Thus there is NOTHING in the zmodo kit which you can reuse for a proper IP PoE system.

This means you will need to rerun the cables.
( hint this is why I recommend running good cables as your 1st step.. once you have good cables run you can always update the kit / cameras as you need to )

ref: More on zmodo / funlux / meshare here:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
------------------------
Junk zmodo.
I use an old PC for Blue Iris
Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
-----------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (Store | IP Cam Talk) if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
N22AL12 New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Test do not guess

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you are interested in Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
you can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store.

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
Andy's Amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Drugsbyjoe

n3wb
Reaction score
:welcome:
------------------------
Junk zmodo.
I use an old PC for Blue Iris
-----------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (Store | IP Cam Talk) if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
N22AL12 New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Test do not guess

if you are interested in Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
you can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store.

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
Andy's Amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:

Lots of good reading thanks.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Drugsbyjoe

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd opt for option #2 and replace it all. Their sPOE (simplified POE) is not 8023.af or 802.3at compliant and is about 15 to 19 volt passive, so even their sPOE NVR is not compatible with any new 8023.af or 802.3at compliant "POE" cams.

NOTE: if you used their supplied Ethernet cables, most of those were only 2 pairs, not 4, and will also need to be replaced if that's the case. Which, by the way, could very well be CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) instead of solid, pure copper. CCA is a big no-no, especially for POE.

I'd read the Cliff Notes up in the Wiki, start saving some coin and shotgun that whole Zmodo system...you'll be glad you did.

I'll defer to others regarding ReadyNAS (I have a PC running Blue Iris).

Welcome to IPCT! :)
Yup. That’s what I figured. So now the question is Cat6 or Cat7 I reckon. Running cable in between the first and second stories requires so much alcohol.,hoping I can just pull the Zmodo wires through.

Reaction score
Cat 6 shielded. (STP)

Cat 5e stp would actually be plenty. You're talking ~10mbps per camera, so not a lot of data per run.

Or fiber.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk