New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

KlaverBoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interested in details on this 433MHz transmitter you mentioned.
So instead of a chime i'm using a 24v relay switch. So when the doorbell is pressed and the relay switches and the circuit is closed the 433mhz transmitter sends a signal to my receiver (rfxcom). With that received signal i can do whatever i want with it. For now i'm using an event that triggers a z-wave alarmbell receiver and it creates a snapshot by capturing the rtsp stream (i'm using a script for that). The snapshot will be forwarded to Pushover.

I'm using this transmitter (ACDB-7000B). I don't know if that product is available in the USA.

20190502_093503.jpg 20190502_093615.jpg

James92TSi

n3wb
Reaction score
I do have audio in the RCA app and in the motion-triggered recordings that the doorbell keeps on its sdcard - just no audio in the continuous recording on QNAP.
Circling back to this - I installed VLC and connected to the doorbell's RTSP stream at rtsp://<doorbell IP>/Streaming/Channels/101/ - and was able to hear audio through VLC. So seems it might be a QNAP QVR Pro specific issue - either not recording audio in general with Generic RTSP camera settings, or just not recognizing the audio component of this specific camera's stream. I'll try their tech support...

But for some other reasons I am considering moving over to Blue Iris once I free up a suitable desktop. Can anyone confirm that audio is available in Blue Iris from the HSDB2? (Tried searching but couldn't find any confirmation.)

Thanks,

metis

n3wb
Reaction score
Not a Blue Iris user, but the feed contains the RTSP audio so it should works. Using SecuritySpy (macOS) to record and it works great. BTW, you can disable recording on the SDCard via hikvision iVMS-4200.

James92TSi

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I opened a ticket with QNAP about it, and they told me the Generic RTSP camera setting can't record audio at all, and there's no workaround... bummer. Another reason to try out Blue Iris...

Upon re-re-reading some of the early pages of this thread, I found some confirmation that BI can record this doorbell's RTSP feed with audio.

I've been having trouble with not receiving notifications on Android (Galaxy S8) through the RCA app lately. No PIR alerts, no doorbell calls. Checked through all the notification and battery optimization settings on the phone, nothing out of place. Thanks to the info here about the other brand apps sharing the same back-end, I installed Hik-Connect and EZVIZ to try out. Both received alerts just fine while the RCA app didn't (all 3 apps installed and running on the same phone). I kept EZVIZ and removed Hik and RCA - we'll see how it goes.

Also, scooped up a second HSDB2 for $75 "new open box" on ebay. Hope it's not DOA... :D

Last edited:

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I opened a ticket with QNAP about it, and they told me the Generic RTSP camera setting can't record audio at all, and there's no workaround... bummer. Another reason to try out Blue Iris...

Upon re-re-reading some of the early pages of this thread, I found some confirmation that BI can record this doorbell's RTSP feed with audio.

I've been having trouble with not receiving notifications on Android (GS8) through the RCA app lately. No PIR alerts, no doorbell calls. Checked through all the notification and battery optimization settings on the phone, nothing out of place. Thanks to the info here about the other apps sharing the same back-end, I installed Hik-Connect and EZVIZ to try out. Both received alerts just fine while the RCA app didn't. I kept EZVIZ and removed Hik and RCA - we'll see how it goes.

Also, scooped up a second HSDB2 for $75 "new open box" on ebay. Hope it's not DOA... :D

I am also not getting any notifications on my RCA doorbell using the RCA App...

metis

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you update to the last firmware? I use exclusively the RCA App and it works. ( I receive notifications).

Granted I have my wifi near it, it can help.

I changed my chime transformer for a 16VAC-10VA output and I have no problems.

Reaction score
Greetings... total noob here.

Has anyone successfully shared their RCA HSDB2 doorbell with a second user in the RCA app?

After configuring everything initially on my phone, I setup the RCA app for my wife and created an account for her. Went into RCA app on my phone > doorbell > share button at the top of the screen. There you are supposed to type in the other user's ID (email or phone #) and hit the + to select what device(s) you want to share with them. No devices are listed when I hit the + so it will not let me share the doorbell.

Since that didn't work, I have her phone signed into my RCA account... no idea if it will cause any issues being signed into the same account on 2 devices. Seemed to work (rang both phones when I pressed the bell).

Unrelated: hoping that onvif, and particularly the ability to retrieve a JPG via URL, comes to this camera soon. (I saw the mention of onvif coming Q2 to the laview version.)
I'm having the same sharing problem except with the Ezviz cam / app. When I open the sharing menu nothing is listed to share. I'll have to sign in as me on her phone and see if that at least lets it access the cam.

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Like I already mentioned before: you need a strong wifi signal to get notifications. Try the guarding vision app and check the signal strength. I guess it should be better than - 55 dBm. It seems -60 is to low and -50 or better works or perfect.

James92TSi

n3wb
Reaction score
The eBay HSDB2 arrived today - appears to be new, just missing some small parts. It still had the plastic over the lens and PIR, and QR sticker on the button. I connected it to a plug-in transformer (Altronix TP2420) and it's on the bench now, joined to my EZVIZ account.

Missing:
- chime power pack
- horizontal angle wedge mount
- doorbell mounting screws (edit: figured out these are M3 thread x 10mm length. No problem!)

So I'll drop an email to RCA and see if a wedge mount is available. If not, maybe someone here isn't using their horizontal wedge and wouldn't mind helping out. As a last resort, I could 3D print something. Not worried about the power pack since this won't be connected to a chime.

Regarding app notifications - since switching to the EZVIZ app, I've been getting PIR alerts and doorbell presses as expected. (Transformer is an Edwards 24V 30VA that I installed along with the HSDB2, and I updated it to latest firmware while setting it up. Also updated the ebay one while on the bench right now - about to add it into QVR Pro. Wireless strength is not a concern - using Ubiquiti equipment and I get no dropped frames at 15fps recording constantly.)

Also the "sharing" thing in the app cleared itself up the other day, while I was still using RCA app / before I tried Hik or EZVIZ. I tried the "share" button again, and the doorbell was listed there and able to be shared out to the second RCA account i setup for my wife.

(edit to add)
Wife is still using the RCA app, and still getting no notifications - also on a Galaxy S8. I need to move her over to EZVIZ.

And a screenshot of the two doorbells in QVR Pro - back one still on the test bench in my office.

Last edited:

landude

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a question for you guys. I have the HSDB1 and it's working fine with both our Android phones.
If I try to log into it with either iVMS or via a web browser I get wrong user id or password. You have 5 attempts left please try again. I'm using the same account that works oh the phones. Am I missing something here? It also won't connect to Blue Iris, I'm think the issue I'm seeing with iVMS is the reason. Thoughts please.

Thanks in advance!
b

metis

n3wb
Reaction score
Should be the login/password from the QRCode sticker.

So basically login: admin, password: what's on the QRCode. Its not the same account as the phone app.

landude

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it safe to assume the password on the door bell sticker is what's listed as verification code?

James92TSi

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a question for you guys. I have the HSDB1 and it's working fine with both our Android phones.
If I try to log into it with either iVMS or via a web browser I get wrong user id or password. You have 5 attempts left please try again. I'm using the same account that works oh the phones. Am I missing something here? It also won't connect to Blue Iris, I'm think the issue I'm seeing with iVMS is the reason. Thoughts please.

Thanks in advance!
b
On the HSDB2 the username is admin and the default password is <verification code in all caps>

On the HSDB1 the username is admin and the default password is admin<verification code in all caps> - i.e. adminXXXXXX

There is a mega thread about the HSDB1 and related clones here - Sweet! LTS is releasing an ONVIF compatible doorbell with SD card slot and 940nm IR

James92TSi

n3wb
Reaction score
Voxx support replied that no spare parts are available for purchase...

If anyone reading this is not using their horizontal wedge mount for the HSDB2 and would like to exchange it for a few freedom bucks, let me know!

landude

n3wb
Reaction score
Voxx support replied that no spare parts are available for purchase...

If anyone reading this is not using their horizontal wedge mount for the HSDB2 and would like to exchange it for a few freedom bucks, let me know!
On the HSDB2 the username is admin and the default password is <verification code in all caps>

On the HSDB1 the username is admin and the default password is admin<verification code in all caps> - i.e. adminXXXXXX

There is a mega thread about the HSDB1 and related clones here - Sweet! LTS is releasing an ONVIF compatible doorbell with SD card slot and 940nm IR
Dude, you rock! It was this adminXXXXXX.
I'm not sure I've seen that anywhere or I just plain missed it.
I would very much like to buy you a beer or 12.
Thank youi!!

Rexxiboy

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok guys, So I have posted here before on this same thread. I see some of you have purchase the RCA HSDB2A, So I got mine from Amazon fro Shopvoxx March 29th, I also purchase 24VAC power for it. no longer available at the time of this writing.
1st week, I got it working with RTSP to record to my Synology NAS. I also downloaded iVMS-4200 client and it is detected. I'm using the RCA app, I also have it added to my IPCAM viewer app which has all my other cameras, Reolink, Trendnet etc.

2nd week, 2 days ago, I notice it was offline in my RCA app, I check the device, blue LED is lit, but when I press the bell button there is not response or does not buzz at all. So I went straight to my power source and unplug the transformer. After a few minutes it is Online and working. Well thats great.
Just today, It is frozen again. I wanted to post this before I go out and fix it. I know I can fix it but this is a huge issue. Since I still have 2 weeks to return it, I will try to

1. Wait for new firmware? My RCA app says no available firmware, so its the latest.
2. RETURN it immediately lol

If this is a WIFI issue, why does it not reconnect back? I have wifi cameras for 2 years, and they occasionally loose connection but recover back immediately.

If you have RCA HSDB2A that has been running stable with no hiccups please shed some light on us. Hopefully it is just a firmware issue.
Thanks

Last edited:

metis

n3wb
Reaction score
I've had my HSDB2 for 2 weeks and a half, and no problems at all, it is even always sending data to my NVR so no Wifi issues. I have sometimes some disconnections, but it always reconnects by itself. I have a high end asus router (RT-AC3200). The wifi band should not matters. I use a 5Ghz band because the Door Bell is near the Wifi router. My chime transformer is not as powerful as yours and no issues. I run the latest firmware available. Maybe you got a lemon, or its your wifi that is problematic.

I would exchange it for another unit and try again. If it happens again, you'll know that something is flaky with your setup.

tofu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Generally you're better off connecting to the 2.4ghz band because this needs to penetrate an outside wall. It uses less than 5mbit so you just need a stable, not necessarily fast, connection

papasan

n3wb
Reaction score
The unit is really hot. I'm using a 24VAC power supply, I added the resistor per instruction, I don't have a chime device.
the back of the unit is a metal plate/heatsink and mine gets very hot too, hottest near the top behind the sensor. haven't installed it yet, a little concerned that once mounted with less airflow it could cause issues. this is using a 16V 40VA psu.

*edit* btw, they call it a "resistor" in the manual but it's really a F3.15A250V fuse. I know this because I had to order a replacement already... seeing your later response maybe I have a lemon too.

Last edited: