New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

cba123

n3wb
Reaction score
Disconnects can happen for improper power, wifi issues (weak/unstable connection) and also when too many connections happen simultaneously (max 3 is recommended).
using a 16vac 30va transformer, wifi is stable and good signal. My other 3 wifi cams do not have any issues, only the DB1 cam is cycling every 3 minutes like clockwork.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
using a 16vac 30va transformer, wifi is stable and good signal. My other 3 wifi cams do not have any issues, only the DB1 cam is cycling every 3 minutes like clockwork.
Do you have a mechanical chime on the same transformer? What firmware are you using?

Only you have this problem. And I also mentioned the max. connections issue, check it out. The product is working fine, if you have disconnections every 3mins you have a specific issue related to your installation.

Other users experienced random disconnections, but it was always one of the mentioned problems: power, wifi, too many connects. Your fixed 3mins disconnection leads me to think you have software/NVR/apps that open too many connections every 3 mins.

Last edited:

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What's the point of having a DB cam vs having a normal cam watching the front door instead, if you can't use any of the doorbell features.
Your cameras have a ring bell button that also rings your existing chime? That doesn't require the cloud. Plus, many users don't have problems using the cloud. Actually many users like the fact that they can answer the doorbell while being away from the house, using cloud services and functionalities offered with the DB.

You have different requirements respect to others, probably for you a cam is enough, for many it's not. A wise guy once said: "the map is not the territory."

cba123

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you have a mechanical chime on the same transformer? What firmware are you using?

Only you have this problem. And I also mentioned the max. connections issue, check it out. The product is working fine, if you have disconnections every 3mins you have a specific issue related to your installation.

Other users experienced random disconnections, but it was always one of the mentioned problems: power, wifi, too many connects. Your fixed 3mins disconnection leads me to think you have software/NVR/apps that open too many connections every 3 mins.
Mechanical chime and a newly replaced 16vac 30va transformer to troubleshoot.

I just tried using VLC and it stops receiving the stream after 3 minutes as well, so it doesn't appear to be a BI issue.
It is like my DB1 closes and restarts the RTSP stream every 3 minutes. Might be a hardware issue.
Anyways, I have adjusted the BI watchdog timeout for DB1 cam to restart the stream after 5 seconds instead of 30 seconds to minimize the recording gap.

I may try reflashing the HikVision Firmware and/or switching back to EZVIZ FW to further troubleshoot.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What's the point of having a DB cam vs having a normal cam watching the front door instead, if you can't use any of the doorbell features.

I am a technology junkie. ;)

Just really the compact size of the all in one solution of the doorbell camera. I am and have never been tethered to my cell phones.

With the OmniPro combo panel the doorbell is a zone and for many years now get a text on a doorbell ring.

Also used a wired Optex combo on the door. It was much larger than the combo Video Doorbell.

Personally if out of the house means that I am busy and typically don't want a doorbell interruption.

That is me though.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Mechanical chime and a newly replaced 16vac 30va transformer to troubleshoot.

I just tried using VLC and it stops receiving the stream after 3 minutes as well, so it doesn't appear to be a BI issue.
It is like my DB1 closes and restarts the RTSP stream every 3 minutes. Might be a hardware issue.
Anyways, I have adjusted the BI watchdog timeout for DB1 cam to restart the stream after 5 seconds instead of 30 seconds to minimize the recording gap.

I may try reflashing the HikVision Firmware and/or switching back to EZVIZ FW to further troubleshoot.
You tried VLC, adding another connection to the doorbell. :)

I noticed some disconnections on mine at the beginning, and then I found the cause: it happened because I had Synology Surveillance Station (my sw NVR) connected, I was watching live feed on my PC, and then I was playing with the mobile app and I also had batch config opened on my notebook. Then I read in this thread, in 101, that there was a max connection limit. Since then, I made sure to not have too many connections...never had a disconnect since then. These cameras don't have a very powerful CPU.

The strange thing in your case, that makes me suspicious about something not related to the doorbell itself, is that it happens EVERY 3 minutes. I don't think you have a hardware issue. Try to stop all software accessing the doorbell and see if it disconnects. You might also check the internal log via batch config to see if it gives you any hint.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I hear ya. When I got mine I thought of getting a WiFi Cam with 2 way audio, but ran across this Forum and this DB. At the time figured it was a great replacement for our DB, it was easy install with power wires already there, even changing out the transformer was easy for me. Then I got involved here and glad it actually worked out this way. Met some really great people here, a lot of knowledge, great Forum/Thread (Believe me some Forums out there are just fighting matches), I went from needing help to helping others, etc. I know this does not answer your question but at the time having a doorbell made sense, that is the ringing of the doorbell. Guess now a days delivery drivers avoid ringing and having to talk to someone on the DB speaker, slowing them down, just a guess. Also some may think by ringing it the video activates so avoiding getting recorded. Future deliveries will be drones so no ringing the Doorbell there :) Smart Doorbells were/are a trend that will change I am sure with time. Oh, lastly I had/have bragging rights since our DB has WAY more features than others out there, haha, as my friend's and family members know this since they have heard it from me several times. lol Nest/Ring vs. our Hikvision :), like Apple/Android, Ford/Chevy I guess :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
16vac 30va transformer.
So you are good there. Hey you don't have this checked do you, was going through BI Help to see if I run across anything for you, found it in Settings/Record

1596153621657.png

EDIT: Disregard this message after reading your message: New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

Did you change anything in Remote Configuration in Event Section through Batch Config. Tool that may effect scheduling/timing?

Last edited:

cba123

n3wb
Reaction score
So you are good there. Hey you don't have this checked do you, was going through BI Help to see if I run across anything for you, found it in Settings/Record

View attachment 67645

EDIT: Disregard this message after reading your message: New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

Did you change anything in Remote Configuration in Event Section through Batch Config. Tool that may effect scheduling/timing?
I only have one stream running off of the DB1 at any one time.

I reflashed the same Hikvision FW onto the DB1 today and did a full reset (push button on DB1) and then adjusted the SSID and then the framerate and quality, but signal still dropping every 3 minutes so the reflash didn't make any difference.

I just went back in my BI logs to look back when I installed the first DB1 (that was eventually bricked during FW flash) and that DB1 was also dropping every 3 minutes with the original EZVIZ firmware, so that should rule out a DB1 hardware issue and rule out any FW issue.

Before I switched the SSID (and registering on the cloud), and I was still connected to the DB1 ap hotspot, I connected to the DB1 stream using VLC and the stream did not drop over a 6 minute test though it was a bit unstable at certain points as the timestamp in the video jumped back and forth as if the frames were being received out of sequence. So, there may be a minor issue with the wifi chip/antenna in the DB1. I don't know if the DB1 uses an Atheros or Broadcom chip; I recall certain chipsets had flaky wifi performance.

So, it has to be the interaction with the DB1 wifi chipset and my EAP120 access point. I assume the chipset in the DB1 is not the same as the ones in my Reolink RLC-410w cameras, as I don't have stability issues with those cameras with my EAP120 access point. I may get my old WRT54GL running DD-wrt out of the closet to specifically test with the DB1 on its own mini network using VLC.

Also, I am going to see if I can find what chipset each camera is using.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I only have one stream running off of the DB1 at any one time.

I reflashed the same Hikvision FW onto the DB1 today and did a full reset (push button on DB1) and then adjusted the SSID and then the framerate and quality, but signal still dropping every 3 minutes so the reflash didn't make any difference.

I just went back in my BI logs to look back when I installed the first DB1 (that was eventually bricked during FW flash) and that DB1 was also dropping every 3 minutes with the original EZVIZ firmware, so that should rule out a DB1 hardware issue and rule out any FW issue.

Before I switched the SSID (and registering on the cloud), and I was still connected to the DB1 ap hotspot, I connected to the DB1 stream using VLC and the stream did not drop over a 6 minute test though it was a bit unstable at certain points as the timestamp in the video jumped back and forth as if the frames were being received out of sequence. So, there may be a minor issue with the wifi chip/antenna in the DB1. I don't know if the DB1 uses an Atheros or Broadcom chip; I recall certain chipsets had flaky wifi performance.

So, it has to be the interaction with the DB1 wifi chipset and my EAP120 access point. I assume the chipset in the DB1 is not the same as the ones in my Reolink RLC-410w cameras, as I don't have stability issues with those cameras with my EAP120 access point. I may get my old WRT54GL running DD-wrt out of the closet to specifically test with the DB1 on its own mini network using VLC.

Also, I am going to see if I can find what chipset each camera is using.
Wow I like your testing knowledge. Interesting thinking about WiFi Chipset. So just sharing, I have had my LaView ONE, so same hardware as DB1, chipset, etc. connected to an ASUS AC3200 for many months, 6 plus, recording 24/7 in BI with No Signal Lost frames in any of the recorded videos. I just changed out my WAPs to EAP245 and EAP225, which are great WAPs so far, about a month ago, still recording at 24/7 in BI, only had one day where I first saw, ever, No Signal in a recording, but none since, still think i may of still been playing with the EAPs, setting up VLANS and 6 SSIDs in them. Anyway, just sharing the TP-Link WAPs seem to picked up where the Asus left off. So I just checked the log I turned on at your suggestion and no dropped frames (No Signal) in the last 23 hours (First Hour/Last Hour):

1596167547028.png1596167591573.png

So I only have Errors checked, do I need anything else checked or any other place to enable No Signal errors?

1596167830014.png

EDIT2: So I wanted to add my distance from the DB to the AP is around 15-20 feet with only the Front Door in it's path. EZVIZ shows only the dot on the WiFi Icon, which is not encouraging but I have had no WiFi connection problems. One App showed db signal but can't remember which one it was. I remember when I tested the WiFi strength from my phone at the DB during install I had fairly good strength, but that was with my ASUS AP. When I get a chance and remember to, I will check the strength with these new EAP WAPs.

1596195038999.png

Not sure any of this helps you but hopeful gives you hope, the DB is known for not transmitting very far, several here has had to place new APs or Extenders close to their DB. I got lucky with my setup...

Last edited:

Emiks5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
FYI the Guardian Vision app shows dB nr as signal stength. Mine is -48 dB. The lower the nr (closer to 0) the better. 2.4 Ghz btw.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
FYI the Guardian Vision app shows dB nr as signal stength. Mine is -48 dB. The lower the nr (closer to 0) the better. 2.4 Ghz btw.
And latest EZVIZ app has a diagnostic wizard for wifi that actually performs signal and latency tests, you need to put the phone next to the camera and it will tell you if the location is appropriate. Very good.

Today my SAGE Doorbell sensor stopped notifying me if someone rings the DB. I don't know if the issue is the DB or the SAGE. I'm investigating...first time after months that I have this problem.

cba123

n3wb
Reaction score
The SNR on my EAP120 shows:
46dB for the DB1 (which is about 13 feet away)
59dB for a Reolink RLC-410w (which is about 11 feet away, with no drops)
32dB for my phone that I placed near the DB (13 feet away)

For the EAP, similar to UI and Meraki, the higher the SNR, the better.
40dB SNR = Excellent signal (5 bars); always associated; lightening fast.
25dB to 40dB SNR = Very good signal (3 - 4 bars); always associated; very fast.
15dB to 25dB SNR = Low signal (2 bars); always associated; usually fast.
10dB - 15dB SNR = Very low signal (1 bar); mostly associated; mostly slow.
5dB to 10dB SNR = No signal; not associated; no go.
The signal strength on the EZVIZ app shows the dot plus 1 arc lit up.
I don't think the app retrieves/reports the actual signal strength on the DB1 but returns the signal strength based on the phone's wifi chipset and antenna.

@David, the status alerts tab doesn't determine what goes in the log; that tab is for sending email/text alerts.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The SNR on my EAP120 shows:
46dB for the DB1 (which is about 13 feet away)
59dB for a Reolink RLC-410w (which is about 11 feet away, with no drops)
32dB for my phone that I placed near the DB (13 feet away)

For the EAP, similar to UI and Meraki, the higher the SNR, the better.

The signal strength on the EZVIZ app shows the dot plus 1 arc lit up.
I don't think the app retrieves/reports the actual signal strength on the DB1 but returns the signal strength based on the phone's wifi chipset and antenna.

@David, the status alerts tab doesn't determine what goes in the log; that tab is for sending email/text alerts.
So here is mine from my EAP245:
1596283593641.png

Not sure why the lease only shows 19 hours but other leases are showing similar times, it does state Active Times so assuming traffic sent. But with my DB I am recording 24/7.

Other Devices/Leases:

1596283444783.png

Reaction score
Hi,
I have bought the Ezviz and flashed it with the hikvision firmware. Using the hik-connect app I don’t get a picure/video when someone pushing the bell. Only after I have answered.

is that as it should? (Iwould of course like to see who is infront of the door before I answer )

br

goldbond

n3wb
Reaction score
For the RCA HSDB2A, I have gone through a number of the posts and trying to parse through a few things which I am still unclear on:

1. I am not using a door chime and just realized I had not added the resistor. Given my 2 db are fully mounted, can I add the resistor at the end of the line near transformer rather than ripping my db apart? I feel I may have issues squeezing the resistor into an aluminum door frame. There is really not much in the way of discussion on resistor placement outside the guide which shows it connected to the db itself.
2. Given no door chime, should I leave connected at 16v?
2. When I had the system connected briefly, the RCA app worked flawlessly responding almost immediately to db depressed. However, roughly 30 minutes later. It only responded 1 on 8 times. (if that) I am using pfsense as a router and was wondering if I need to add some fw rules? I saw a number of folks claiming everything from voltage to routing. Just wanted to confirm I am on the correct path.

Thank you in advance.

danli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As of Today I can no longer log in to the EZVIZ app using my hik-connect credentials. Too bad, since I preferred that app. So, for now on I'll obviously use the hik-connect app...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For the RCA HSDB2A, I have gone through a number of the posts and trying to parse through a few things which I am still unclear on:

1. I am not using a door chime and just realized I had not added the resistor. Given my 2 db are fully mounted, can I add the resistor at the end of the line near transformer rather than ripping my db apart? I feel I may have issues squeezing the resistor into an aluminum door frame. There is really not much in the way of discussion on resistor placement outside the guide which shows it connected to the db itself.
2. Given no door chime, should I leave connected at 16v?
2. When I had the system connected briefly, the RCA app worked flawlessly responding almost immediately to db depressed. However, roughly 30 minutes later. It only responded 1 on 8 times. (if that) I am using pfsense as a router and was wondering if I need to add some fw rules? I saw a number of folks claiming everything from voltage to routing. Just wanted to confirm I am on the correct path.

Thank you in advance.
1. Yes, the resistor/fuse is for protection.
2. Yes
3. You may want to try different Apps, some respond differently from the cloud.
From our 101:
⦁ Available Apps (Allows Remote Access):
iO/S: Hik-Connect, RCA Security, EZVIZ, LaView One, Guarding Vision
Android: Hik-Connect, RCA Security, EZVIZ, LaView ONE, Guarding Vision

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I have bought the Ezviz and flashed it with the hikvision firmware. Using the hik-connect app I don’t get a picure/video when someone pushing the bell. Only after I have answered.

is that as it should? (Iwould of course like to see who is infront of the door before I answer )

br
Correct